1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Friction Point

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kram, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    kram

kram [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6spd MGM
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    Would someone be able to describe to me how to adjust the friction point on the clutch so that it engages closer to the floor?

I have another 6spd vehicle that engages much closer to the floor and everytime I get into it after getting used to the truck, I just about launch out of the driveway. I just want them to be more similar to ease the transition back and forth.

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I believe the piston behind the clutch pedal is threaded and you can add freeplay by adjusting the nut.

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    kram

Member:
    Vehicle:
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it worked to some extent. I was able to adjust the friction point much closer to the floor, however it also resulted in a very sloppy feel at the clutch, as it had to travel with little resistance for some way before it started pushing the cylinder in. I have returned it to its original position.

If anyone has any tips on overcoming this play, whilst still keeping the friction point closer to the floor, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

4. Mar 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Not adjustable. You're only playing with the pedal adjustment there and it won't effect anything other than how far you're pushing the clutch master cylinder. Where your clutch engages is only adjustable if you have a cable actuator, which we do not have.

5. Mar 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Concur with above^ What kind of "other" vehicle do you drive?? Cause my sports car with it's 5 spd feels completely different...but that's kinda the way it is. Sports car trans versus truck trans are different...so is seating posture.
    Just one of those things....at least imho.

6. Mar 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    kram

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Acura TSX. It grabs almost as soon as it leaves the floor.
    Thanks to my URD short shift kit, the gearbox feels almost the same now, but I guess I'll have to get used to 2 clutches.

7. Mar 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Yeah, that sounds about like the result we got with my buddy's clutch pedal. It's been readjusted back to the stock position because the play was irritating.

Products Discussed in

To Top