Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TonnoPro Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover

Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
dcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: Electronic Warfare Tech on Destroyer
Name: Dave
dcypher's Tacoma Gallery
TonnoPro Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover

Has anyone ever had one of these or knows anyone that has. After looking at the specs and descriptions it looks very similar to the xTang Trifecta, the TorzaTop and Lund tri-folds, but over $100 less....lowest I've seen is $269.

The TonnoPro mentions a Dual-coated 24 oz. vinyl tarp as it's cover....the word "tarp" got my attention....is it the same quality cover as the others?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
dave6558 is on a distinguished road
dave6558's Tacoma Gallery
I would not buy the Tonno Pro--there is a problem with it. At least for 2010's. If you have an over the rail bed liner, you will notice that the back rail against the cab is lower than the two side rails. Same for the tailgate. The Tonno Pro will leave a half inch space on both. I verified this with Tonno Pro--you can call and ask them. They say that their new cover which fixes this won't be out until May or June. I called Extang and they say the Trifecta does not have this problem. Check and see if your bed rails are flush all around the truck.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
dcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of lightdcypher is a glorious beacon of light

dcypher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6558 View Post
I would not buy the Tonno Pro--there is a problem with it. At least for 2010's. If you have an over the rail bed liner, you will notice that the back rail against the cab is lower than the two side rails. Same for the tailgate. The Tonno Pro will leave a half inch space on both. I verified this with Tonno Pro--you can call and ask them. They say that their new cover which fixes this won't be out until May or June. I called Extang and they say the Trifecta does not have this problem. Check and see if your bed rails are flush all around the truck.
So if I don't have the over the rail bed liner I'd be OK...which I don't. I just have the stock rail caps. I'll definitely call beforehand. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
FishErTaco is on a distinguished road

FishErTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Extang Trifecta on my 2010 DC. Good quality tonneau, and no problems with the stock plastic over the rail bedliner. It came with connectors that fit right into the bed rail system.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
i don't know what you have, but look at the top rail of your box all the way around. If it dips down from your rail caps to the front (near the cab) rail of the box and the same for the tailgate, then you will have the space.

The height of the edge all the way around has to be even for the tonno pro.

You can call their factory and ask and they will confirm this. I only spoke to them two days ago.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #6

dcypher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i don't know what you have, but look at the top rail of your box all the way around. If it dips down from your rail caps to the front (near the cab) rail of the box and the same for the tailgate, then you will have the space.

The height of the edge all the way around has to be even for the tonno pro.

You can call their factory and ask and they will confirm this. I only spoke to them two days ago.
I looked at mine and yes there is a gap....I'm guessing this will be an issue with any tri-fold that sits on top of the bedrails. Where does the bed seal go that is offered for free with alot of these tri-folds.
TonnoPro Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover-img_4572_tw.jpgTonnoPro Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover-img_4573_tw.jpg
Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
As I said in my post, I called extang. They say their front and rear seals are thicker to get around the gap problem. They claim no space as the cover sits on the truck.

Tonno Pro said that their cover is being redesigned for the problem and they would not have the new cover until may or june. The old cover cannot be retrofitted. It is a whole new cover.

The seal they sent you is for around the tailgate. Personally, I've had tonneaus for years and never found the need to seal there. If anything, I would think it might hold water in.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
wagg04 is on a distinguished road
Name: m
wagg04's Tacoma Gallery
Dissatisfied with the Tonnopro cover !

I purchased a Tonnopro folding soft cover for my 2010 Tacoma one year ago. My truck is babied, always garaged out of the weather, and never any abuse whatsoever to that cover, yet after less than one year, my Tonnopro has developed very unsightly wrinkles/folds....no longer the smooth attractive appearance it had when purchased. My wife (a seamstress) says the material was originally not sewn properly on the bias (whatever that means <G>)......all I know is that the cover is flawed, and Tonnopro wont honor their warrantee without extra expense on my part. I had a similar Torzatop folding soft cover on my last truck for 5 years, and it looked as good after those 5 years as it did when I bought it. For what its worth, I definitely cant recommend Tonnopro's product or their customer service.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As I said in my post, I called extang. They say their front and rear seals are thicker to get around the gap problem. They claim no space as the cover sits on the truck.
I've got an Extang Trifecta on my 2010 AC and can verify that the rubber seal at front and back is larger than on the side rails. I've had it on for about 10 months now, and it has been great. No leaks in heavy windswept rain. No leaks while driving in rain. And when buried in snow, it did not leak during snow melting. Only issue I've had is after a nasty freezing rain I could not open the tailgate till I heated a small bucket of warm water and poured it along the top edge. Of course, I did not try tri-folding it while frozen under a half inch of ice.

I know nothing about the Tonno-Pro, so I am not able to compare them.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
kayrofly is on a distinguished road
kayrofly's Tacoma Gallery
tonno pro tri fold cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcypher View Post
So if I don't have the over the rail bed liner I'd be OK...which I don't. I just have the stock rail caps. I'll definitely call beforehand. Thanks.

I have a 2011 Tacoma, I purchased the Tonno Pro tri fold. The front rail & tailgate are lower than the side rails. They haven't fixed the problem yet & customer service is extremely poor. They will send you a supposed fix (two 3 M rubber seals) You wouldn't even be able to close the tail gate if applied & they don't even tell whether to attach it to the tailgate or the existing seal. Hardly a fix! Don't buy if you have a Tacoma & are looking for dry truck bed from a honorable vendor.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Tacomaized
Kulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKulahaga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19th Special Forces Airborne
Name: Roger
Kulahaga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrofly View Post
I have a 2011 Tacoma, I purchased the Tonno Pro tri fold. The front rail & tailgate are lower than the side rails. They haven't fixed the problem yet & customer service is extremely poor. They will send you a supposed fix (two 3 M rubber seals) You wouldn't even be able to close the tail gate if applied & they don't even tell whether to attach it to the tailgate or the existing seal. Hardly a fix! Don't buy if you have a Tacoma & are looking for dry truck bed from a honorable vendor.

Here is a quick and easy fix for this problem: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...heap-easy.html
Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is dead but I had a Lund Tri fold and I was very happy with it. Thicker seals on the ends were thicker, the construction was very sturdy, and the cover material itself held up very nicely and never cracked even when folded up in sub freezing temps.