1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mr.ernst, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    mr.ernst

mr.ernst [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner bone stock
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, I'd just like to confirm that I'm not going to screw anything up. I'm going to attempt to install my 5100's this weekend, I'm not overly mechanical but I've read enough threads and looked around under the truck enough to build up the confidence to attempt it.

Anyways I ordered some new TPMS sensors for my new allow wheels which I'm hoping will arrive today and I can have them mounted on the wheels then install the wheels at the same time I do the 5100s. However in case they don't come in until early next week, would I be in danger of doing any significant damage if I didn't get an alignment for a few days with the new 5100s installed? I just don't have alot of time during the week and it seems like something always comes up on the weekends, so I want to get the 5100s installed now while I have time.

I didn't assume it would cause any immediate damage, but I just wanted to be certain.

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    how many miles are you going to put on from now till its done?

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I drove for 2 weeks or so after installing my coilovers without and alignment.... it didnt pull to either side at all, but I guess the camber was a little off but not by much since I was already lifted.

4. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    mr.ernst

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Probably going to set the front at .85(maybe 1.75, I'm thinking I might aal shortly so I don't want to mess with the fronts again if I don't have to), and I would think at the most I might put 100 miles on it before I could get the wheels mounted and get it aligned.

And I'm pretty sure I'm going to need new sensors, I have steel wheels on my truck currently and just bought a set of alloys which I know require different sensors. I bought all 4 for $85 and it'll save me from having to dismount my old tires from the wheels when I change them out.

5. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    By rule you should have it asap....... But you should be ok
    dont put it off much longer

6. Mar 18, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    mr.ernst

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good. I'm hoping the sensors come in today, I can get them mounted tomorrow and Saturday once I install the shocks I'll be able to run into town for an alignment. That's my perfect plan, we'll see how it really plays out. Things haven't been falling into place lately.

7. Mar 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    You should be O.K. for a while. But like stated earlier, you should get it done at the earliest chance.

FYI:
    If your alignment is a bit off now? When you install the lift, it will be increased.
    But still, the point that you set your lift at, is still in the range of motion that the stock suspension components would articulate any way. (If no lift was installed).

It would really depend on how well your truck is aligned now??

8. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    youll be fine for a few days, really only the camber is going to be off and it'll squeel around turns nothing major tho.

9. Mar 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Write down the number off the new sensors when you get them and before they are installed. They will need to be registered in the TPMS system on the truck for them to work. At first you will have a flashing light until that is done.

10. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    mr.ernst

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Sensors came in today, so I'm getting the tires mounted tomorrow, Saturday I'll hopefully be able to change out the shocks without too much trouble, and first thing Monday morning I'll take it in for an alignment. Then some time next week have the sensors programmed in.

Products Discussed in

To Top