Performance of TRD Sport Off Road?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Chasetheride is on a distinguished road
Chasetheride's Tacoma Gallery
Performance of TRD Sport Off Road?

Hey there,

I would like to know how the TRD Sport performs in "lite" off-road usage
(ex. drive on a beach with soft sand)?

I have searched this site and many others and only found threads comparing the differences between the TRD Sport & TRD Off-road, I understand the differences, but how does it handle off-road from time to time?

My last Taco was a 2001 Extended Cab with a locking Rear Diff, this time I want a Tacoma that has 4x4.

I would like to get the "off-road" BUT there are not many used ones out there... right now there is a 2006 4door short bed 4x4 TRD Sport available for a decent price... Should I get it?

Thoughts?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
The Sport will be just fine, especially a 4x4.

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting stuck in a 4x4 Sport that needed a 4x4 Off Road to save them.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasetheride View Post
Hey there,

I would like to know how the TRD Sport performs in "lite" off-road usage
(ex. drive on a beach with soft sand)?

I have searched this site and many others and only found threads comparing the differences between the TRD Sport & TRD Off-road, I understand the differences, but how does it handle off-road from time to time?

My last Taco was a 2001 Extended Cab with a locking Rear Diff, this time I want a Tacoma that has 4x4.

I would like to get the "off-road" BUT there are not many used ones out there... right now there is a 2006 4door short bed 4x4 TRD Sport available for a decent price... Should I get it?

Thoughts?
I have that same exact year and model that you are looking at. I have had no problems what so ever with mine!! I say go for it and buy it!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
I was stationed just out side of OBX on the East Coast. I rarely put my 07 Sport in 4x4 and i was in really soft sands. I even passed a couple lifted fords and chevys. People up there have to deflate their tires to avoid from being stuck inthe sands, me, i let my balls drop and drove over it all in 2wd... The sport handles like a bad ass off road and in sands...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Before my previous Tacoma I had a Jeep... the 4x4 setting were 4high, 4 low... does the sport work like that or is it just the one setting? Does that make sense?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Buy The Sport I Off Road Mine And She Does Just Fine!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered_Out_Taco View Post
Buy The Sport I Off Road Mine And She Does Just Fine!
Dude, where is everyone getting these goofy sigs from??
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you had equally skilled drivers in a Sport and in an Off Road, the Off Road would be able to successfully get through more difficult terrain, period, hands down, end of story.

Do not misunderstand that to mean the Sport is incapable though. It can get along just fine from what I've seen. Unless you're really into serious off roading, you'd probably never notice the difference.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the sport is just as capable for anything you are probably gonna do. yes, it has 4hi and 4lo.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
mattsowell is on a distinguished road

mattsowell's Tacoma Gallery
if u haven't decided yet im into a '10 DC SB TRD SPORT. bone stock and its has got me through a fair bit so far. soft sand/sh*t bumpy logging roads/steep hills. Have not had much of a chance to work it in mud yet. I am assuming I would need to turn off the LSD though. I will be adding some new tires next year but I plan on using up the tires I got now getting bent around every corner I can.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
hood scoop is whats up its a beast.

Oh and I went wheeling with a titan 4x4 with the e-locker and I went everywhere he did just fine
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
The 09+ Sport would be significantly better because of the traction control in 4wd mode...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Mine has supprised me a time or to but I wish I would of went with the OR.
Wanna trade? lol
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have some videos up soon of a recent trip I took to citrus fl in my 09 sport. Got tires off the ground and still made it through.