1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer says 100k trans flush?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LVTacoma, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i got mine changed at 25,000 dont ask me why :anonymous:

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Maybe because he saw your Drug Airport photos?!! LOL

3. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    lol i like.... am embarrassed. it was a dumb mistake on my part. at least i have new tranny fluid :p

4. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Most (if not all) of the owners manuals say to change it out at 60,000 under special operating conditions (towing.) My question is, I wonder what they consider towing (weight wise)? I'm sure towing a car or camping trailer would qualify, but what about towing something like a ATVs, motor cycles, snowmobile's, or small (12-15') aluminum boat? Does any type of towing fall under "special operating conditions"??

5. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  6. Mar 20, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    moe1967

moe1967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD DC Off-Road PreRunner
    Just purchased a 2010 D.C. TRD O.R., and the dealer told me that the trans. never needs servicing, at least the 2010s:cool:

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    no,you did the right thing.you should never go past 30k on a trans service.:thumbsup:

8. Mar 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I am callin BS on the 100k flush.

Had a GMC that called for 60k flush and I did it at 23k and the oil looked like heavly used motor oil. That was with very little towing and what towing I did was at a 1/4 the rated capacity. If you tow don't even think of using those numbers.

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I don't believe it. BMW put out a final drive that was supposedly maintenance free. That lasted about 3 years.

Ive worked with a variety of industrial applications and have never seen a transmission or gear box that was miantenance free. Believe me if one existed ot would have been used. Think of the cost savings in down time and man-hours it would save

10. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, that's the first time I've heard that one! Was that a salesman you talked to or the service department? Since I've been on this site it amazes me how the actual Toyota owners here know more about some things than the dealerships do about our trucks...it's almost scary!:eek:
    You'll find that most dealerships will tell you just about anything....go to 5 different ones you'll get 5 different answers.

11. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    moe1967

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I'm skeptical also. One thing for sure, their is no dip stick to check trans. fluid.

12. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    My dealership told me the same thing. They even went as far as saying that they didn't even have the equipment to change it. I was pissed at this point because I wanted it changed and called a second dealership. The second dealership told me they recomend it at 60k if you tow but that if you dont that it isn't necessary till 100k. So the second dealership was willing to change it for me.

13. Mar 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    ^^Same thing at my dealership, they don't have a flush machine so they recommend I come in every 60k miles and get the pan drained/filled. I think this is one of the reasons why Toyota updated their service interval for the transmission to 60k miles, down from 100k.

14. Mar 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    From my understanding you cannot check the (auto) trans fluid in these trucks without draining the fluid. The trans. is a sealed unit and doesn't have a dip stick.

15. Mar 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    ^^The 4 bangers have a dipstick but not the V6s

16. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    moe1967

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My 2010 does not have that dip stick. I'm not worried though. The only thing I haul is a 17ft flat bottom aluminum boat w/ 40 hp outboard. My truck is a TRD O.R with towing package. So..........

I just sold a 94' corolla with 154K miles on it, and I never changed the trans fluid. Never had any problems with that car other than the alternator. I guarantee you that the guy who bought it will easily put another 100k miles on it. He was more than happy to pay me $1k for that car. And, to boot, brought over his own notary public at time of sale

17. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    biggdog747

biggdog747 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    taco
    A750F AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID: ADJUSTMENT (2008 Tacoma) Last Modified: 11-9-2009 6.2 N From: 200708 Model Year: 2008 Model: Tacoma Doc ID: RM0000017CO002X Title: A750F AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID: ADJUSTMENT (2008 Tacoma) ADJUSTMENT

1. BEFORE REFILL TRANSMISSION

• This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
    • It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.
    • The vehicle must remain level while adjusting the transmission fluid level.
    • On vehicles equipped with active suspension, turn the suspension control switch OFF if it is necessary to jack up the vehicle with the engine running.

2. TRANSMISSION PAN FILL

(a) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.

(b) Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.
    (c) Reinstall the overflow plug.
    3. TRANSMISSION FILL
    (a) Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid as listed in the table below.
    (b) Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.
    Repair
    Fill Amount
    Transmission pan and drain plug removal
    1.3 L (1.37 US qts, 1.14 Imp qts)
    Transmission valve body removal
    3.9 L (4.12 US qts, 3.43 Imp qts)
    Torque converter removal
    5.3 L (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp qts)
    Entire transmission assembly
    5.3 L (5.60 US qts, 4.66 Imp qts)
    HINT:
    If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:

• Install the refill plug.
    • Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
    • Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.
    • Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.
    • Stop the engine.
    • Remove the refill plug and add fluid.
    • Reinstall the refill plug.

4. FLUID CIRCULATION
    (a) Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
    (b) Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.
    5. FLUID TEMPERATURE CHECK
    NOTICE:
    The fluid temperature can be confirmed by checking the indicator light in the meter or by using the Techstream. When using the Techstream, it is necessary to change to temperature detection mode in order to idle the vehicle appropriately.
    (a) When using the Techstream:
    (1) Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    (2) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
    (3) Turn the ignition switch ON.
    (4) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Active Test / Connect the TC and TE1.
    (5) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / ECT / Data List / A/T Oil Temperature 1.
    (6) Check ATF temperature.
    NOTICE:

• If the fluid temperature is below 46°C (115°F), proceed to the next step. (Recommended ATF temperature: 36°C (97°F) or less.)
    • If the fluid temperature is 46°C (115°F) or more, turn the ignition switch OFF and wait until the fluid temperature drops below 46°C (115°F).

(7) According to the display on the Techstream, perform the Active Test "Connect the TC and TE1".
    HINT:
    Indicator lights of the combination meter blink to output DTCs when TC and TE1 are connected.
    (8) Start the engine.
    NOTICE:
    Check that electrical systems such as the air conditioning system, audio system and lighting system are off.

(b) When not using the Techstream (using indicator light):
    (1) Using SST, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
    SST: 09843-18040
    (2) Start the engine.
    NOTICE:
    Check that electrical systems such as the air conditioning system, audio system and lighting system are off.
    HINT:
    Indicator lights of the meter blink to output DTCs when terminals TC and CG are connected.
    (c) Slowly move the shift lever from P to L, and then return the shift lever to P.
    HINT:
    Slowly move the shift lever to circulate the fluid through each part of the transmission.

(d) Move the shift lever to D, and quickly move back and forth between N and D (once within 1.5 seconds) for at least 6 seconds. This will activate the fluid temperature detection mode.
    Standard condition:
    A/T OIL TEMP warning light remains illuminated for 2 seconds and then turns off.
    (e) When using the Techstream:
    (1) Return the shift lever to P and press OFF on the Active Test display.
    (f) When not using the Techstream:
    (1) Return the shift lever to P and disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG).
    (g) Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 36 to 46°C (97 to 115°F).
    (h) The A/T OIL TEMP warning light will come on again when the fluid temperature reaches 36°C (97°F) and will blink when it exceeds 46°C (115°F).
    Indicator Indication of ATF Temperature:
    Below Proper Temperature
    Proper Temperature
    Higher than Proper Temperature
    Data List: [A/T Oil Temperature 1]
    36°C (97°F) or less
    36 to 46°C (97 to 115°F)
    46°C (115°F) or higher
    A/T OIL TEMP warning light:
    Turn off
    Turn on
    Blinking
    NOTICE:
    Perform the fluid level inspection while the indicator light is on.
    6. FLUID LEVEL CHECK
    NOTICE:
    The fluid temperature must be between 36°C (97°F) and 46°C (115°F) to accurately check the fluid level.

(a) Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
    (b) Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
    If fluid does not come out, proceed to step 7.
    If fluid comes out, wait until the overflow slows to a trickle and proceed to step 8.
    7. TRANSMISSION REFILL
    (a) Install the overflow plug.
    (b) Stop the engine.
    (c) Remove the refill plug.
    (d) Add 0.4 liters (0.42 US qts, 0.35 Imp qts) of fluid.
    (e) Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
    (f) Proceed to step 6.
    8. COMPLETE
    (a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.
    (b) Stop the engine.
    (c) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.
    Torque: 20 N·m (205 kgf·cm, 15ft·lbf)for overflow plug
    Torque: 39 N·m (400 kgf·cm, 29ft·lbf)for refill plug

here hope this helps. from TIS toyota says they they can go 100k before changing. every dealer is going to be different because they can adj. services and rec. sooner if they want. i would not do a flush on WS trans because they same machine is used for type 4 and they cant be mixed. i changed to fluid on my wifes 05 4 runner at 75k just to see and it was still red. not as bright as new but not dark either.

18. Mar 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    X2.... therefore you cant check it unless you drain it... like I said before...

19. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Sure you can check without draining, but it isn't as convenient as if you had a dipstick.

How you ask?

With the engine running and the ATF at the proper temp for checking, pull the overflow plug (NOT drain plug). If a small trickle comes from the hole the fluid is at the correct level. If you want to check its condition by color or smell, place an old cup or similar underneath the plug when you haul it out. A few drops in the cup will do, as you only get a few drops from a dipstick.

You only need to have the ATF within the correct temperature range if you are checking for proper level. If you just want to see or smell your fluid you could pull the overflow plug at anytime as long as the engine is running. Pull the overflow plug without the engine running and you're going to get a whole gush of fluid as its isn't circulating around the AT and is simply resting in the pan - causing the level to be much higher than the overflow plug opening.

No need to drain, and yes I have done this myself in the past. 10 mins tops and you are done.

20. Mar 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I didnt mean completley drain but like you said you have have to let some out to check.

Products Discussed in

To Top