1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 TRD Sport Prerunner rear differential oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roy826, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    roy826

roy826 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    I am confused:confused:it says look in the manual. I did, it does not say anything about a Limited slip additive. Only to use Toyota oil 75w something or another don't have the manual in front of me right now. I assume I have a limited slip rear since I have the VSC button and by turning it off it says LSD on my dash. It does not have a sticker on the rear differential only the check the manual sticker. Reason I am even asking is with only 7k miles on the truck I changed the motor oil today and decided I better check the rear end to see if it actually had any oil in it. It has never been checked by me or dealer. It was a little low, none came out with the truck sitting on a level garage floor. I lit the hole up with a flashlight and can see the level about 1/4" below the hole. I can stick my pinky finger in and touch it easily without bending my finger so it's not that low. I would prefer to see it ooze out a little though. Any ides on the oil type since I only want to top it off no need for an additive at this point until I actually change it all out.

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    roy826

roy826 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    Okay I understand now makes since after I read the manual about how it works. Warns of brakes over heating. No leaks it was just never topped off correctly at the date of manufacture like a lot of things on this truck. My transmission was 1/2 qt. low from the factory as well. I had them resolve that a while back when I had the tranny re-flash done and it was still shifting weird. So technically I can pour a little 80w90 fluid in it I just happen to have on hand. I used that in my old '02 prerunner with no issues. Or should I go buy the Toyota stuff?

Products Discussed in

To Top