1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avid Sliders ... weld on vs bolt on ... point of no return ...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PreRunner, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    PreRunner

PreRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I ordered the bolt ons because the most i'll see is an occasional dirt road. I wanted mainly the looks, and some decent protection. I also like how I can install them myself because i live in central florida, where there are no professionals and everyone is retarded. I would get my truck back with them welded on upside-down or something.

Did i make the right choice? I just placed the order so I could most likely change. No biggie if I can't. Bolt ons just seems more appropriate for me. Thoughts? :eek:

2. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think you'd be surprised about finding someone competent to weld them on. Most offroad shops are small but plenty good at what they do.

Bolt on will work fine

3. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    pre-runner,

Not sure where you are in Floriduh' ;) but one of TW's new sponsors is hiding in Ft.Myers ( looking at their work,I'd say there competent;):cool: ) and Central Florida has many " Mom & Pop" weld shops that DO KNOW their stuff....

That being said,I will be "Bolting" on my Sliders also.....My NEW frame will not be welded so ALL "Mods" need to FIT exact or they will not be purchased...

Just my 2 cents....enjoy your Sunday...

S

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    PreRunner

Member:
    so is welding bad for a new frame? (mine is new also).

so far it seems i chose wisely, for me anyway

5. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Some folks will say that welding to a new frame can cause warping and weak points in the frame. I counter that if welding was bad for the frame- They would have a hard time putting it together. If it's done correctly- You would be fine with welding.

6. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Drilling 20 something holes in the frame for bolt on sure as hell doesn't strengthen it either.

7. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    After talking to Demello and watching them weld my new sliders on I have no doubts that welded sliders are better.

And I do see that you mention that your not actually going to use your bolt on Avids like sliders and thats a good thing because they are not actually made to support the weight of the truck either on the trails or for a Hi-lift jack. Avid's bolt on's are just Nerf bars.

8. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Yeah there are some bolt ons that will Shrockworks and Beef's but most won't. But Avid tells you themselves they won't support the weight.

9. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Exactly, from their site:

"The 2005+ Tacoma Sliders can be ordered to bolt on or weld on. The bolt-on sliders attach to the factory running board mounts. The bolt-on sliders can be used as steps, dent protection, and light off-roading, but are not designed to support the weight of the truck. The weld on sliders are designed for the more extreme off-roading."

Attached to the running board mounts.......nerf bars

10. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    imo, all the advantages point to bolt on.

#1. frame sees no heat, only 4 new holes on each lower rail, which is 2 frames in one anyway.

#2. option to remove for painting, selling, or replacement if one or both were to get trashed somehow.

#3. DIY install in your driveway.

#4. very strong if mounting locations are well thought out and hardware is grade 8 or higher.

I'm not against weld on's at all either, and wouldn't worry about the frame strength if welded on by a competent welder.

11. Mar 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    PreRunner

Member:
    i thought i wouldn't have to be drilling any holes? was i wrong?

[​IMG]

12. Mar 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Some require additional holes to be drilled. Stock up on drill bits and cutting oil :)

13. Mar 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have Shrockworks bolted to the frame and these things are solid. I see nothing wrong with bolting them to the frame. I had to drill 6 holes in my frame and it wasn't that hard and its a job I did myself in the snow.

I'm not sure how the Avid's are by attaching to the factory running board holes. Personaly I'd rather them be attached to the frame.

14. Mar 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    Just make sure the mounting holes on your sliders match up correctly to the ones on your truck before you paint them. My passenger side mounting holes were way off and I was only able to install bolts to three of the six holes.

15. Mar 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    My sliders use the factory holes in the side of the frame with nut plates on the inside, but there are 4 holes per side that need to be drilled on the lower rail, there's just really no other way...if they're to be strong. Toyota has a million holes in their frames, just nothing below to bolt to.

I used a old drill bit set (that most of us have in the garage) a Black & Decker 1/2" drill plugged in, and started with a small pilot hole, and basically worked up every other bit until I got to 1/2". It was easy, and I recommend this method rather than starting with a large bit because it'll heat up and heat treat the metal in that area and make it even worse than it already is. Start small and work up especially since you're drilling through 2 layers of frame.

16. Mar 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    rmerchant3

rmerchant3 Insert nonsense here

Member:
    What about allpro's? Are they any good? I can't tell if they are bold on or weld on.

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    PreRunner

Member:
    Just to clarify ... I spoke with brandon at avid offroad by email and he said they will just bolt on, and they send all the hardware. No drilling for me! I have a single cab. :D

18. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    So I was looking into these possibly instead of my nfabs. I don't off road and just want them for step bars/looks. Now when they say bolt on do they bolt onto the frame with drilled holes? Or do they also sell them that just bolt into the factory step bar locals?

19. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    PreRunner

Member:
    they are supposed to bolt to the factory steprail location on the cab

Products Discussed in

To Top