1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I settle, or be patient?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChaseUA, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I went last week and put the earnest money down on a 2010 MGM Access Cab. The salesman was confident at the time that he would be able to get it to his dealership as he said he could see that it hadn't even left the factory yet. Fast forward to today and he is now less than confident and claims the dealership that it was originally allotted to has not returned their calls so they have been unable to "work out a trade" with them.

I am getting impatient, but the thing is, it is the only one of its kind in the South East (I have also checked the Gulf and Cincinatti regions to no avail).

My options are:

1) Wait a week or two longer and see how it plays out.
    2) Visit another dealer and get the same truck but in a crew cab - I really want an Access cab for the regular size bed, but don't want the total length of the extended base crew cab.
    3) Visit another dealer and try to find a similar access cab but in a different color.
    4) Your alternative suggestion here...
    5) Buy a Chevy (Figured that'd get a good response).

I was really hoping that i would know something today as I was going to go ahead and call and order the Weathertech Mats as part of the group buy tomorrow.

To throw another wrench into the equation, I am trying to sell my car and someone is coming to look at it Thursday that says they will pay cash for it if the husband signs off on it, which will lead me to driving a loaner from my parents, a 1994 Chevy S10 until I get something new.

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I'd be patient, you will be making payments for a long time. Get what you want, even if it means waiting a week or two. Hey, driving an S-10 for a few weeks will just make you enjoy the truck when you get it!

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    All I know is if you compromise it will haunt you as long as you own what you ended up with

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    Luc@z

Luc@z Well-Known Member

Member:
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    07 SW DCSB SR5 4X4 Manual
    +1. I think you should be patient and get the truck you want. However with that in mind, when I was looking I originally wanted an access cab, but ended up with a double cab short bed. I'm glad I have it now since I haul people a lot more than I do cargo.

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    Bullzi511Tacoma06

Bullzi511Tacoma06 KCCO

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Doublecab SR5
    Get exactly what you want - you'll have it to enjoy for a long time!!!

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    May be a sales ploy

if they don't come up with what you want buy a Ford

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I too would wait.
    You'll have the truck for a long time, you might as well get exactly what you want.
    I have an access cab. It's what I wanted at the time, however as life changes I have a feeling I'll wish I got a double cab, especially since I plan to keep it forever.

Shawn

8. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I guess I will just be patient.

If they say that can't get it, I am going to ask them which dealership it is allotted to and I will contact them directly!

I don't think the dual cab will be something I need for the simple fact that I've owned my car 7 months now and only had the back seat sat in twice! And once was my wife because I was hauling something that wouldn't fit in the back-doors and it had to ride in the passenger side, haha.

9. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Waking the Dead

Waking the Dead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB Gray
    What is so special about this truck that makes it the only one of its kind in the South East?

10. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    These trucks are totally worth the wait..............be patient............

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    I guess it is just not a popular combination... 2010 MGM 4x4 Access Cab Auto w/TRD Sport...

There is 1 Access Cab with those options and 26 DC's in the Southeast!

12. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    I wouldn't settle for less than what I originally wanted. Drive the S-10. Tell your dealer this is the only truck you'll accept and if they can't make it happen, you'll find one that will. Talk to another. What do they mean "they won't return calls"? Call during business hours and they'll pick up the phone. This how I got my truck. I used the 'build my truck' on Toyota's website, found the truck I wanted. It was destined for a life in Alabama and my dealer had it shipped straight here, it never went to Ala.

13. Mar 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:

That is my plan. They state the vehicle is destined for South Florida and that my dealerships "trade guy" aka Internet Sales manager has called their "trade guy" Thursday, Friday & today and left messages but he will not return their calls.

The original plan was for them to have the truck shipped straight to them and voila I would have my truck. Now I'm impatiently waiting for them to give me the final word. If they say they can't get it, I am going to ask exactly which dealership is going to get it and I will contact them directly and try to purchase from them. I may end up with a one way plane ride to Miami, but I want this truck... The only thing is, with it being the only one, it could already be paid for/reserved by a customer at the dealership that is getting it?

14. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Unfortunately, if it was allocated to another dealership it may already be spoken for.

Access Cabs seem to be in very short supply. There were none in my area for a couple months. Finally found a dealer that had connections and was able to procure one for me but it had to be shipped in. Double Cabs all over the lot and they were offering good discounts since there were so many but I did not want a DC.

Be patient and get the truck you want. Don't settle for something else. You will always regret it.

15. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Wait for the one you want... drive the loaner you have until you get yours in.... more $ for mods or extra for a down payment

16. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Juiceman

Juiceman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Trd Sport 4x4 DC Speedway Blue
    Virgin Mary
    I settled for an automatic when I really wanted a 6speed. I constantly think about it and im going on one year of ownership...don't settle!

I do think the exact truck you want is at my local dealership in Rhode Island. I went to buy some touch up paint today and I'm certain I saw that combo, would you like me to look?

It's a mile up the road at Balise in Warwick, Ri

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Patience grasshopper.

18. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    yotanator

yotanator Not your average girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Custom built and painted grill, iPod interface, TRD shift knob, TRD cat back exhaust, Flowmaster muffler, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials, blacked out emblems, 3" Daystar Lift, Halo headlights, Hunter 4x4 bull bar, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, rooftop light bar, KC daylighters
    Yea, be patient, and don't settle unless it's the exact truck you want. And if you have any questions dealing with sales people, just PM me. I know the business well :)

19. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    c.tripp

c.tripp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    san jose
    yea be patient my mgm access cab was SUPER hard to find with everything i wanted, went to a couple different dealerships and they were only able to locate one in northern california which resulted in 2 different dealerships fighting for my sale which equals a better price! :D

but yes the TRD sport is very hard to get ahold of in mgm, i was looking all over for one, but had to settle for a sr5, i also opted for the 6sp which was also hard to come by...

20. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    You ever think about buying out of state and just getting it shipped to you???? Also have you ever used a broker?

Products Discussed in

To Top