Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changing rear axle seal

Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
vatechoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Darryl
vatechoma's Tacoma Gallery
Changing rear axle seal

One of my rear axle seals has gone bad, throwing rear diff fluid around the inside of my wheel. I have been searching TW and have found some very useful information including:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/038003.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...6ta/038004.pdf

I was just wondering what all should I pick up from the dealer/auto parts store in order to reseal this thing. My current list of stuff to get:
-2 rear axle shaft oil seals(might as well change both if switching to synthetic)
-3 qts diff fluid
-Additional brake fluid
-2 sets of rear brake pads(the one side is covered in diff fluid)

Should I pick up some new bearings, bearing retainers, deflectors, or deflector gaskets? Anything else?
I'm hoping this won't be too difficult, I want to have all of the parts ready to go, so I can avoid multiple trips and possibly having to order parts in the middle of reassembling the rear end.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

*cough*bump*cough*
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
A can of brake cleaner.
A new hardware kit for those rear brake shoes.

I had two seals replaced on my '05 under warranty - it makes a real mess of the rear brakes.

EDIT:

Do you have the shop manual? You may get a better idea of what you'll need if you can view the procedure step by step.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #4

Nice tip about the brake cleaner, I completely forgot about clean up.

I don't have a shop manual, but the links I attached above show the steps to disassemble and reassemble. My question is more about, is there anything I should replace while I am in there? For example: I don't want to replace the bearings, but if they are prone to fail after a certain number of miles or after the seal bursts, then I want to go ahead and change them.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
for what they're worth, you might as well replace the outer axle bearings... they shouldnt be too pricey, they werent for my s10 anyways. since your up in there already and they are fairly easy to replace