Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Canadian Taco prices are ridiculous.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Canadian Taco prices are ridiculous.

I decided to take a trip to the dealer to see some numbers on a 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport db cab. Needless to say, I walked out of there still driving my 2006 TRD Sport Access Cab. They would not give me a price for my truck on a trade until and only until I purchased a new truck. Sounds stupid to me, he gave a ball park figure...18 Grand for my truck. New truck was 43 Grand. WOW, I can't justify a difference of 25 Thousand dollars for a 4 year newer truck...I may have to take a trip to the US and try to import one in the future.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
buying in the us seems to be the way to go for a deal
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Warren
warrenw is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
warrenw's Tacoma Gallery
Go to another dealer. That dealer is not taking you seriously...

My dealer gave me a good deal. I traded a '91 mazda. $2500.00 and paid cash for a new '09 TRD off road in Feb.
Without the trade in I paid $33k tax in. Wrote a cheq for $30.5k
Used '08 and '09s here are going for more than that.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Go to another dealer. That dealer is not taking you seriously...

My dealer gave me a good deal. I traded a '91 mazda. $2500.00 and paid cash for a new '09 TRD off road in Feb.
Without the trade in I paid $33k tax in. Wrote a cheq for $30.5k
Used '08 and '09s here are going for more than that.
Most dealers will not take you seriously until you are actually ready to buy.
Otherwise, they are just giving you a ticket to price shop, which they don't want you to do.

I bought my beautiful new 09 Tacoma in the USA, I would recommend the same thing to you. Sell your truck privately,
you will always be better of financially compared to trading it in.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Way higher prices in Canada , with the dollar 2 cents from par to the US greenback is bullshit , I agree ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yes sir they are!
I paid $19,500 for my 01 2 years ago. I could pr0b still sell it for $19,000 though
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
only a year ago, the exchange rate was way different,

when I bought mine, it was not worth the hassle to get it from the states. I paid something like $39k OTD for the highest price model (double cab long bed trd sport with leather)

today, because the canadian dollar is at par, it's another story...

THe dealers cannot change their price each day just to reflect the exchange rate. when it was more like .80 it was closer in price, now at .99 it's a deal int he states.

but, you can't get the leather and heated seats in the states, and you have to drive in miles, and resale value is much less if you ever intend to sell it in canada (canadian buyers are scared of US imported vehicles)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
I decided to take a trip to the dealer to see some numbers on a 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport db cab. Needless to say, I walked out of there still driving my 2006 TRD Sport Access Cab. They would not give me a price for my truck on a trade until and only until I purchased a new truck. Sounds stupid to me, he gave a ball park figure...18 Grand for my truck. New truck was 43 Grand. WOW, I can't justify a difference of 25 Thousand dollars for a 4 year newer truck...I may have to take a trip to the US and try to import one in the future.
1. Join the Auto Protection Association -www.APA.ca - and take advantage of their buy new vehicle and guaranteed trade in price service. If you decide not to buy through their service at least you will the learn the dealer invoice prices and other incentives etc.

2. Get your financing in order

3. Go into the dealer with your price and expected trade in written out. If they won't meet your price, go somewhere else. I was at 6 different dealers to get my 2009 and finally found one in Cobourg who was decent to deal with.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Way higher prices in Canada , with the dollar 2 cents from par to the US greenback is bullshit , I agree ,

OZ
Higher prices are only part of the problem though.... the other part being that BS no-haggle policy that the Canadian dealers stick to. You basically pay what the sticker on the window says.

If the Canadian dollar had been on par with the US dollar, I would have imported from Washington in a heartbeat. At the time though, an imported base-model regular cab would have cost the same as the base-model access cab here.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
Higher prices are only part of the problem though.... the other part being that BS no-haggle policy that the Canadian dealers stick to. You basically pay what the sticker on the window says.

If the Canadian dollar had been on par with the US dollar, I would have imported from Washington in a heartbeat. At the time though, an imported base-model regular cab would have cost the same as the base-model access cab here.
in alberta you can deal the truck.

in quebec you can't.

I guess it depends on province
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Kazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to all
Kazz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post

in quebec you can't.

In Alberta the max discount is $1480 on a Tacoma. I did a lot of research before I bought my 2010 access cab SR5. I traded my 2009 Camry and one dealer offered me $16000 and another offered me $20500. Both dealers dropped their price of my Tacoma by $1480. Needless to say I bought with the dealer who gave me the higher price on my trade. When I went to pick up my truck that's when they tried to sell me the rest of the crap at ridiculous prices. ie) 4 way protection package at $1700, compu star remote for $900, trailer hitch for $700, hard top cover for $2100. She asked me what I was laugh at!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post

in quebec you can't.

Hmm... Didn't know that. I'm living in BC, which explains alot

I thought about buying one in Calgary, hoping to save on the PST, but found out I'd have to pay the extra tax as soon as I registered it here anyway.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
In Alberta the max discount is $1480 on a Tacoma. I did a lot of research before I bought my 2010 access cab SR5. I traded my 2009 Camry and one dealer offered me $16000 and another offered me $20500. Both dealers dropped their price of my Tacoma by $1480. Needless to say I bought with the dealer who gave me the higher price on my trade. When I went to pick up my truck that's when they tried to sell me the rest of the crap at ridiculous prices. ie) 4 way protection package at $1700, compu star remote for $900, trailer hitch for $700, hard top cover for $2100. She asked me what I was laugh at!!!
well this might be a 2010 thing because in the local club, many guys have paid different prices for the same trucks.

In Calgary you can deal more than $1480 I know a few people that got more than that off msrp.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
Hmm... Didn't know that. I'm living in BC, which explains alot

I thought about buying one in Calgary, hoping to save on the PST, but found out I'd have to pay the extra tax as soon as I registered it here anyway.
I paid what was on the sticker as well , no room to move in BC from all of the people I know that have bought tacos ,

OZ