1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you Clay Bar your TACO?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MKCoastie06!, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    MKCoastie06!

MKCoastie06! [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    06' PreRunner SR5
    Added a 3" Procomp leveling kit, Armor Lid bed cover, Toyota Bed divider, Lund Window louvers, Lund Bug defelector. Tinted the front diver and passenger windows. BLACK N-FAB STEPS,17" BALLISTIC RIMS WRAPPED IN NITTO GRAPPLER TIRES
    Have you clay barred your TACO? How long did it take. would you do it again?

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    sethr21785

sethr21785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Lake Jackson TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra
    I dont clay bar my vehicles unless there is something on the surface that i am having a hard time getting off.. Had to use a clay bar on my friends truck because when they sprayed the bed liner they got it all over the truck.. It worked well for that..

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    BBY2KS2K

BBY2KS2K Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DC
    16x7.5 TRD Bronze "beadlock" wheels without the beadlocks w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Revo II tires (non-winter) 16x8 KMC Enduro w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1 tires (winter) McGard Spline Drive lugs and locks, Satoshi Grill, BLHM, blacked out badges, Aries side steps, Smittybilt light bar with PIAA 540 plasma ion fogs, Aero-Turbine muffler
    I haven't yet but probably will sometime this spring. I clay bar my S2000 about once a year or year and a half and the results are incredible.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    b2200srunnin

b2200srunnin Pipeliner

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Columbus, MS
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 trd pkg
    Foglight mod, Toytec Ultimate lift, Dakar leaf pack, Retros by Ant, led lights inside and out, URD TCAI/MAF sensor, Aero 2525 muffler, BFD 18x9 Matte Bronze wheels, Relentless Aluminum front bumper and steel rear bumper, 76mm Throttle body, '13+ mirrors with blinker lights, complete audio upgrade
    I clay bar'd mine about 3 months ago it didnt take to long but it was cold out. It prolly took 30-45 mins the mirrors was the hardest part. the winter months up north where hard on them.

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Funny I just clay barred and waxed my tacoma today. Took about 4 hours but it looks great!

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
  7. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I do mine about 3 times a year before I wax it.

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Havent yet, but I'll probably do it in May sometime. Whenever its warm on a consistent basis and not going to rain every other day.

9. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Overkill, and you'll end up making your clearcoat dull.........clay is an abrasive.

10. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    streetdriven

streetdriven Tampa OG

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    2007 Speedway Blue double cab. Trd skid,6k hids,thule racks,grill,N-fab,fj wheels 285/75/16's
    I did my whole truck came out amazing. Even did my headlights took the little bit of haze of them.

11. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    i do it every three months...I wax every three months....its incredible b/c you don't actually know whats on your paint until you use a clay bar. last time i used it i must have had some rusty shit on the paint b/c it turned the clay bar red.

12. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Once maybe twice a year is all that is needed. If you use a good cleaner wax every other time you wax you can more than get away with claying every year. Do not over use clay unless you're buying the expensive low abrasive kind. Commercial grade like Mothers and the kind will dull your clearcoat if overused.

13. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    Definitely clay bar. Just be sure you at least wax after, the clay removes all wax and polish. I'm waiting for some better weather to do a full detail including clay, polish, and wax. I need to do some wet sanding to remove some redneck pinstripes too, but we'll see if I'm that motivated.

If you think you might need to clay bar, just take a plastic sandwich bag and rub the paint. If it feels like sandpaper you need clay!

14. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If you claybar thru the clearcoat to the paint, then wax, I am sure it will shine and be brillant in color. But once the wax is gone, and now with clearcoat gone, paint luster will drop off for sure. :eek:

15. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    If you want an amazing finish that takes care of small scratches and swirls:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-338-adams-7424xp-dual-action-car-polishing-kit.aspx

If you don't want to spend that much money:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-472-...bo-w-new-flip-pad-free-16oz-detail-spray.aspx

I finally jumped on the detail kit with the porter cable with a nice discount on labor day. Results are amazing! You can get 10% off if you use coupon code "TN". I don't work for these guys or anything, I just did a sh*t ton of research and got sick of all the swirls and scratches from washing and rubbing tree branches. They have a lot of videos to show you how to use everything correctly and their customer service is top notch.

16. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    If you're using the clay bar correctly, it's not going to remove your clear coat. Keep it lubed with detail spray! And also only clay bar if you need to, if after you wash your truck it fails the plastic baggy test.

Your paint will be worse off full of contaminants than it will after being clayed. There are some extra abrasive clay bars that I could see this argument, but if you buy a good quality clay only when you need to you have nothing to worry about. And if you polish then wax after claying you'll take care of any marring that the clay bar might do and seal your finish.

17. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    I try to do mine twice a year and you really do feel the difference. I generally try to do it just before spring and at the end of summer with a couple good coats of wax. Seems to keep the sap of spring and the dirt of winter off pretty good.

18. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Did it a few weeks back, took about :45 min.
    Came out smooth.....:)

19. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    i agree, claying every month is overkill and probably doing more harm then good. i do it every 6 months to a year on my own vehicles and pretty much on every detail i do.

as for lube spray to use with the clay, you dont need to use detail spray, soapy water does the trick as well and is cheaper ( i recommend dishwashing soap), it gives just as good lubricity which is all you want when sliding clay all over you paint.

just remember to knead the clay after each panel so youre not dragging the contaminants all over the paint which usually always scratches.

20. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    Juiceman

Juiceman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Trd Sport 4x4 DC Speedway Blue
    Virgin Mary

yes, agreed its overkill and the better the clay, the less abrasive

Products Discussed in

To Top