Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #21
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I do not believe the reset had anything to do with solving the issue as I had a similiar problem just after buying new tires. I was going about 80 and tried to increse my speed to avoid a car changing lanes. I noticed the truck shudder and govern the power down as if I were sliding.

I slowed down to 60 and then incresed my speed with the same result. It seemed as if any sudden increase would cause my traction control to activate....if I slowly increased it worked fine.

After parking the truck all day I drove home that night and could not duplicate the problem regardless of speed or sudden increases in speed. This was the first drive since my new tire swap and I believe the computer had to simply calibrate to the new tires....I went from a 245/75/16 to a 265/70/16 so it should have been close in actual diameter.

Of course I may be wrong however it seemed to repair itself after I drove for a while and then parked the truck. I have been about 700 miles on the tires after that first day and have yet to have the problem return. Sounds weird to me however when I called the dealer that first day the shop guy said he had no idea what could be wrong and wanted me to bring it in for testing. Now I have no idea how our trucks computers work so this is just a guess on my part....good luck.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #22
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB T View Post
What is the condition of the tires in the rear like, how often did you rotate your tires and what is the mileage of the vehicle (mileage of the tires). I don't expect you to have replaced the tires on an 09 yet. What are the tires tread depths.
Tires are 6 months old , in great shape , this is the first time being rotated .

My stock Dunlops were replaced with my current Hankooks 6 months ago .

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #23
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLift37 View Post
How about just slow down and it wont do it. Taking the sharp corner fairly quick cannot be safe your truck is saving your life.

While I appreciate all input , as stated above I was not driving like a mad man and have taken this same corner 1000 times at slower and faster speeds , in all conditions and the VSC ( or other ?) has never kicked in , today it did it twice on two seperate but similar corners .

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
it is what it is
09TRD is on a distinguished road

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I know anytime the rear end in my truck slides even a tiny amount my truck beeps at me.... I learned that with all the snow and ice we had this winter
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #25

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
I know anytime the rear end in my truck slides even a tiny amount my truck beeps at me.... I learned that with all the snow and ice we had this winter
I've had the beep on gravel and snow lots , but never felt the truck apply braking and never had either on dry pavement ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #27

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I could be mistaking here, but isn't there some type of roll sensor on our trucks? Maybe when they did the re-flash it affected the sensor? Just a thought.
Yes , I beleive it's called Roll Stability Control ? But I'm not sure if that would trigger the braking application ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The roll sensor is for the side airbags. There is a yaw sensor that is part of the VSC system that is why I asked how you were taking the turn. At any point that my truck gets sideways, the VSC will kick in and straighten you out. You will hear the ABS pump working and a beep from the dash along with a light.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #29

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The roll sensor is for the side airbags. There is a yaw sensor that is part of the VSC system that is why I asked how you were taking the turn. At any point that my truck gets sideways, the VSC will kick in and straighten you out. You will hear the ABS pump working and a beep from the dash along with a light.
Would you feel it , in your foot , like you do with the ABS system ?

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #30
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

OZ
Yes.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Whippersnapper02 ,

thanks for your help , so I guess it definitely was the VSC kicking in , certainly seems that it is more sensitive since the ecu reflash , done yesterday as well ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #32
Banned
No problem man. It could be nothing and it could be a serious problem. I'd defiantly take it back in if it continues to do it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
I think it much more likely that your re-flash changed some parameter in the VSC than the TPMS caused anything. TPMS is a completely separate system, as others have said. Me.... I'd drive it and not worry unless something weird starts happening routinely.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #35

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
I think it much more likely that your re-flash changed some parameter in the VSC than the TPMS caused anything. TPMS is a completely separate system, as others have said. Me.... I'd drive it and not worry unless something weird starts happening routinely.

I agree , I think the VSC parameters were changed with the re flash , it's far more sensitive now , I'll just see whether it is an on going issue after driving it for a while ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree , I think the VSC parameters were changed with the re flash , it's far more sensitive now , I'll just see whether it is an on going issue after driving it for a while ,

OZ
I have the reflash and have not experienced any of your symptoms.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #37
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Its happened to me a couple times taking a corner to fast or just to sharp.
Its just enough of a corner to let the inside wheel break free and spin -
hense the the traction control kinks in, beeping, etc.
But seeing its on dry pavement its preatty much over by the time the system activates.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #38

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Do you have a lift? This thread has your same exact symptoms...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...sc-answer.html
No lift ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
well i'm not completely sure but i have heard that the control systems "learn" your driving habits over time...like how you drive...so if that's true then that may be why you can't get it to happen again...they computer has "learned" how you drive...maybe rotating the tires just altered the computer settings a lil bit and it had to relearn how you drive....lol...dunno
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

OZ
Based on the discussion I believe it was VSC intervention you experienced. Good job whippersnapper02!

The key was rounding the corner, which generated a large yaw rate and the lateral (skid) movement of the tire.