Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #41
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Crom , I agree VSC was what engaged , I was confused by the braking feeling and assumed it was the traction control , still it seems odd to me that it would occur after so many trips on the same road with the same tires etc , the only things different was the rotating of the tires and the re flash of the ecu for the tranny tsb , but as much as I have tried to make it happen today , purposely trying to break the truck loose mid corner , I have not been able to get it to happen again ,

Gremlins ,

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #42
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
OZ, your experience is most interesting.

I can share with you one of my own. I have experienced VSC intervention at speed and its effects were dramatic and unmistakable. Last November in Death Valley, I was traveling about 45 mph on a graded dirt road with loose rock and gravel (Racetrack road). Call me foolish, but I was listening to music and having a good time... I took a right turn too fast, my steering wheel and my direction of travel were not the same! My front wheels began to slide--Oh F!. Immediately, and simultaneously the truck's throttle was greatly reduced, the VSC buzzer sounded and as best I can tell the driver-side front wheel was braked hard and both back wheels were braked too.

Instead of flying off the dirt road, the truck remained in perfect control. I was sold instantly on the technology. It was amazing!

When I returned from my trip I began a process to better understand the technology. VSC really is a fantastic.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #43
GREENMACHINE is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Calvin
GREENMACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
With my BRAND NEW 2011, I was going through a right turn corner, not going that fast, but i was accelerating out of the corner. The dang thing beeped at me, I felt a vibration on the gas pedal, and felt like i lost control in the steering wheel. It freaked me out pretty good. And then later that week, I was going through about the same type of corner, and again was accelerating out of the turn and it happened again. This time the truck drifted into the oncoming lane of traffic. Thank God there wasn't any cars coming at me!

So what Im taking from everyone elses post, is that its the VSC and that I just need to keep driving the truck the same way so that it can "learn" how I drive...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #44
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
OZ, your experience is most interesting.

I can share with you one of my own. I have experienced VSC intervention at speed and its effects were dramatic and unmistakable. Last November in Death Valley, I was traveling about 45 mph on a graded dirt road with loose rock and gravel (Racetrack road). Call me foolish, but I was listening to music and having a good time... I took a right turn too fast, my steering wheel and my direction of travel were not the same! My front wheels began to slide--Oh F!. Immediately, and simultaneously the truck's throttle was greatly reduced, the VSC buzzer sounded and as best I can tell the driver-side front wheel was braked hard and both back wheels were braked too.

Instead of flying off the dirt road, the truck remained in perfect control. I was sold instantly on the technology. It was amazing!

When I returned from my trip I began a process to better understand the technology. VSC really is a fantastic.

X2
I had a drift happen when I made a sharp turn at too fast a speed... and the VSC prevented oversteer and cept me in my own lane... it was amazing!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE View Post
With my BRAND NEW 2011, I was going through a right turn corner, not going that fast, but i was accelerating out of the corner. The dang thing beeped at me, I felt a vibration on the gas pedal, and felt like i lost control in the steering wheel. It freaked me out pretty good. And then later that week, I was going through about the same type of corner, and again was accelerating out of the turn and it happened again. This time the truck drifted into the oncoming lane of traffic. Thank God there wasn't any cars coming at me!

So what Im taking from everyone elses post, is that its the VSC and that I just need to keep driving the truck the same way so that it can "learn" how I drive...
Stop into your dealership and have them hook up the computer and check you skid control values . The values on my truck , for whatever reason , were not properly zeroed and this lead to my VSC engagement issues .
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #46
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there is anything to worry about it.
Last year I went to a meet in Pa and while I was trying to catch up with the guys in the front ,, It happen. I drove too fast on a corner and when I turn the wheel to correct ,,, the rear inside tire lifted up and VSC kicked in. I was surprised and when I got home I start to get a little bit informed.
The VSC is something very intelligent and worth every penny. In my eyes.
Next week end I went on a deserted road with few tight turns, a road that I know very well.
I choose a specific corner and drove thru at about 4o mph then 50 mph and nothing happen.
The next time I drove with 40 mph, I took the turn a little bit wider and right in the middle of the turn I made a -more agresive correction to the right. This was intended to duplicate what happen to me first time.
When I made the correction,,most of the weight of the truck switch to the outside front wheel.
For a fraction of a second the rear, right side wheel was in the air as we all know,,, left with out traction,,, the wheel will speed up faster then the rest of the wheels.
I duplicate exactly what happen to me the first time in Pa.
After that I made two more runs and and try to confirm that this not a fluke.
The same results each time
If you go toooo fast in a corner and try to correct at the last time ??? The vsc will try to save your life by applying brake to the wheel that spins and (or) cutting the gas.
In the old trucks,,, the rear of the truck would have snap out of trajectory and if you where good enough or lucky enough,, you would counter steer and live to see another day.
With the new tech,, we get away with more mistakes.
When about your VSC learning and adapting to you driving ???? Is a myth. Unless Toyota decide to install something as advanced as Ferrari's GTO traction control ??? your VSC will always perform as set by the manufacturer. Remember this is a safety device and Toyota lawyers would have a fit.
I hope that makes it more clear to you.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #47

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Stop into your dealership and have them hook up the computer and check you skid control values . The values on my truck , for whatever reason , were not properly zeroed and this lead to my VSC engagement issues .
Just do this ^^^^
Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #48
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Just do this ^^^^
But that is the proper way to do it. No one does that shit.