Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Traction control engaged on dry pavement

Yesterday I had a regular service done at my dealership which included rotating my tires .

Today I was driving to work on dry pavement , going fairly quick around a rather sharp corner and my traction control engaged , applying braking to one of the rear tires . The audible alarm sounded for a second as well , I was unable to see which idiot light came on as the dash array was blocked by the wheel which was cranked over .

I called the service manager and we discussed what may be the issue , he said he would talk to the tech and I agreed to call him back after lunch . On my way home , the same happenend again , in the same type of corner , turning in the same direction for what that is worth .

I pulled out the Tacoma manual and read the section about rotating tires , and it says that after rotation you need to reset the TPMS . A call to the service manager left me feeling that this was not done , as he said it wasn't necessary for a tire rotation , at which point I said " well the manual says it is necessary " , kind of went silent on the other end of the phone .

At any rate I reset the TPMS , and it hasn't happened again yet , I talked with a mechanic friend of mine and he told me that the sensors not only read the air pressure of the tire but they know which tire they are in relation to the truck .

So this is what I think happened , correct me if I am wrong please .

The truck is in a tight turn , which means that the front tire on the outside of the turning radius is turning faster than the front tire on the inside of the turning radius , but because the TPMS was not reset the truck reads the tires that are up front as still being on the rear , it senses that one of the rear tires is spinning faster than the other and the traction control kicks in .

Does that seem correct ?

Thanks in advance ,

EDIT;

, after much input it was more than likely that it was the VSC engaging and not the traction control , I also had the tranny re flash done at this servicing and feel the VSC has gotten more sensitive since the re flash , I have driven this same road 1000 times since I've had my truck in every road condition and today the VSC ( or other ) engaged twice on dry pavement at nothing near the fastest I have ever gone through this section of road .

Thanks for all of the input ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That is quite interesting!

Are you sure that your AUTO LSD was not on?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
dlthunder has a spectacular aura aboutdlthunder has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dan
dlthunder's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the TPMS has anything to do with Traction Control. Otherwise everyone that runs their wheels without the sensors would have a problem. The reset button you have access to is just to reset the light after a low pressure warning. When the dealer rotates the tires they are supposed to reassign the sensor to the new location, again shouldn't affect Traction Control.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
That is quite interesting!

Are you sure that your AUTO LSD was not on?
Yes ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
jay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jay_shy's Tacoma Gallery
I rotated my tires and did not reset the TPMS and have not had any issues. Tires were done about 3500 miles ago.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlthunder View Post
I don't think the TPMS has anything to do with Traction Control. Otherwise everyone that runs their wheels without the sensors would have a problem. The reset button you have access to is just to reset the light after a low pressure warning. When the dealer rotates the tires they are supposed to reassign the sensor to the new location, again shouldn't affect Traction Control.
But if there are no sensors on the truck , there would be no input telling the computer that one tire is spinning faster than the other ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Traction control and TPMS is not related. The traction control system reads off of the ABS sensors not the TPMS sensors. How fast are you taking the turn? It sounds like the VSC kicked in not traction control. Traction control wont trigger a beep while VSC will.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Traction control and TPMS is not related. How fast are you taking the turn? It sounds like the VSC kicked in not traction control.

Not crazy fast , and I should point out I live on a small island and this is the one main road to town , I have driven this road everyday since I've had my truck ,( over a year ) , in all conditions , dry , wet , snow , this is the first time this has ever happened ( twice ) and my tires were done yesterday ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
But if there are no sensors on the truck , there would be no input telling the computer that one tire is spinning faster than the other ,

OZ
Then how does the speedometer in a car WITHOUT tire pressure sensors know how fast you're going?

It's a completely different system man; not related at all. Just because my brake light is burned out doesn't mean my stereo display is going to tell me to get it replaced.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Is the road damaged? Like bumps or pot holes?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the road damaged? Like bumps or pot holes?

No , no potholes or waves in the pavement , and I know for sure I didn't dip a tire off the pavement , I was really paying attention the second time on the drive home ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Banned
Well see if you can reproduce it to see what triggers it. Then take a tech with you on a ride and show him what is going on. Again the TPMS has nothing to do with it since the traction control system reads off of the ABS sensors.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well see if you can reproduce it to see what triggers it. Then take a tech with you on a ride and show him what is going on. Again the TPMS has nothing to do with it since the traction control system reads off of the ABS sensors.
I tried to replicate it after I had reset the TPMS and couldn't get it to occur again , I'm not saying it is the TPMS , just stating the order of events . I am unfortunately not on the same island as the dealership so it's not a matter of just droppin in , requires a ferry ride etc ,

Thanks to all for the input ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
dlthunder has a spectacular aura aboutdlthunder has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dan
dlthunder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Then how does the speedometer in a car WITHOUT tire pressure sensors know how fast you're going?

It's a completely different system man; not related at all. Just because my brake light is burned out doesn't mean my stereo display is going to tell me to get it replaced.
My point was that both traction control and VSC still work even when you run the car without the sensors, so they are not related to one another.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Traction control and TPMS is not related. The traction control system reads off of the ABS sensors not the TPMS sensors. How fast are you taking the turn? It sounds like the VSC kicked in not traction control. Traction control wont trigger a beep while VSC will.

If the VSC was what kicked in , which makes sense because there definitely was an audible alarm/beep , would I feel it in my accelerator foot , I know I felt a pulse through my foot which is why I assumed it was brake being applied to one of the wheels ,

OZ
Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #17
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OK I searched everything I could find here on VSC and if I'm not mistaken it applies brake in order to do it's job as well . So I guess the thread should have been called " VSC engaded on dry Pavement "

The thing that makes no sense to me is that as I said I have been through these same corners literally 1000 times since I bought my truck , in all road conditions and at slower and faster speeds than when this occured today .

Now get your tinfoil hats out , the other part of my service was the transmission ecu re-flash , any chance that the margins for the VSC or A-Trac are reset as well ?

OZ
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #19
ROB T is on a distinguished road
Name: ROB
ROB T's Tacoma Gallery
want added info please

What is the condition of the tires in the rear like, how often did you rotate your tires and what is the mileage of the vehicle (mileage of the tires). I don't expect you to have replaced the tires on an 09 yet. What are the tires tread depths.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #20
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
How about just slow down and it wont do it. Taking the sharp corner fairly quick cannot be safe your truck is saving your life.