Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's and Wheeler's 1.5" AAL Installed

Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
5100's and Wheeler's 1.5" AAL Installed

Here's the final product (along with some measurements for those interested).

For those not aware, I got the front diff vibe when I installed and went to the 1.75 setting last week. At 88K miles, I'm way out of my warranty. So to deal with it, I had to do some trial and error stuff.

I lowered it down to the .85 setting today. I can still hear the grinding when it's cold, but not as much after driving on the freeway. After driving awhile, it becomes more of a buzz type vibration in the gas and brake pedals...plus a mild mud tire tread-type sound...at the .85 setting. At 1.75, it was horrible! Although I loved how well it handled the bigger bumps at 1.75, and I liked the extra height.

Since I still had the vibe at .85, I then thought maybe I would try it at the 0 setting to see if it went away completely. After taking one apart and then measuring it compared to the original OEM shock (why I didn't just do this when I went to the .85 setting, I don't know). Anyway, in measuring the two it appears that the lengths and settings are almost identical at the .85 setting. So maybe this is all a result of a stiffer shock (my OEM shocks were shot) or maybe it was happening before I did any of this and just didn't notice it because I wasn't looking for it???

Anyway, I'm leaving it at the .85 setting and will just ignore the sound for now. Before I show the pics at both .85 and 1.75, I thought I would share some measurements. I measured from ground up to the bottom of the fender directly over the wheel center. Remember, I added the Wheeler's 1.5" AAL in the back too, and I have the tonneau and 2 60-pound bags of sand back there:

And now for the pics...

First the 1.75 trial:

And the final at .85:

Honestly, I can't tell the difference looking at the pictures!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I can see about 9/10s of an inch difference.

Just kidding. looks good man.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

Ok , i am preatty much the same as you
TSB in the rear, 5100s set at .85
Im not understanding your noise, grinding??
Did you get a alignment after installing the 5100s?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post

Ok , i am preatty much the same as you
TSB in the rear, 5100s set at .85
Im not understanding your noise, grinding??
Did you get a alignment after installing the 5100s?
No, the outer bearing on the driver's side in the front differential is failing on a lot of our trucks (I've read estimates of about 10 percent of those lifting their trucks have the bad bearing...so who knows how many have a bad bearing that haven't lifted their trucks). You won't hear it until you raise the truck up to a certain height (I hear it at .85 and it's horrible at 1.75). At stock, you don't hear it. Switching to 4wd eliminates the grinding. You can read through this whole thread (and I'm sure there's some here on TW too), but cj99si was the first to have the dealership diagnose it and replace his front differential (you can jump to page 19, post 279). In fact, he's had his front diff replaced twice under warranty for the same bearing failure. Others have the same problem with less than 30K miles on their trucks!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=220615
Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
#1 Member
Tacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud of

Name: Hunter
Tacofanatic05''s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Here's the final product (along with some measurements for those interested).

For those not aware, I got the front diff vibe when I installed and went to the 1.75 setting last week. At 88K miles, I'm way out of my warranty. So to deal with it, I had to do some trial and error stuff.

I lowered it down to the .85 setting today. I can still hear the grinding when it's cold, but not as much after driving on the freeway. After driving awhile, it becomes more of a buzz type vibration in the gas and brake pedals...plus a mild mud tire tread-type sound...at the .85 setting. At 1.75, it was horrible! Although I loved how well it handled the bigger bumps at 1.75, and I liked the extra height.

Since I still had the vibe at .85, I then thought maybe I would try it at the 0 setting to see if it went away completely. After taking one apart and then measuring it compared to the original OEM shock (why I didn't just do this when I went to the .85 setting, I don't know). Anyway, in measuring the two it appears that the lengths and settings are almost identical at the .85 setting. So maybe this is all a result of a stiffer shock (my OEM shocks were shot) or maybe it was happening before I did any of this and just didn't notice it because I wasn't looking for it???

Anyway, I'm leaving it at the .85 setting and will just ignore the sound for now. Before I show the pics at both .85 and 1.75, I thought I would share some measurements. I measured from ground up to the bottom of the fender directly over the wheel center. Remember, I added the Wheeler's 1.5" AAL in the back too, and I have the tonneau and 2 60-pound bags of sand back there:

And now for the pics...

First the 1.75 trial:

And the final at .85:

Honestly, I can't tell the difference looking at the pictures!
O well still is a great lookin truck!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I will update that there is definitely a handling/ride difference between .85 and 1.75. Depends on what you're looking for as to which setting you should go with. While the 1.75 setting is a "cushier" ride over large and small bumps, it feels a little more loose in the handling. The .85 setting will give you more of a stock handling feel (sticks to the road better for cornering and such) but you feel the bumps more like you do with the stock suspension.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Thanks for posting the pics. I've been wondering what my DC LB will look like with 5100's at 1.75 and 1.5 aal, and now I know!

Are you going to get the bearing/differential replaced?
Not until I have to. I'm not under any warranty, and I think the cost when done under warranty was $1,700 (just the part alone). The dealerships replace it that way because it's cheaper for them than spending the time to take it apart. I'll just see how long it lasts. Eventually I might have to tear it apart, but it's kinda scary when looking at the detailed directions. Maybe I'll enlist the help of my dad (retired toyota mechanic), but he's getting up there in age.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Hell bent for leather
69z28 is on a distinguished road

69z28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Thanks for posting the pics. I've been wondering what my DC LB will look like with 5100's at 1.75 and 1.5 aal, and now I know!

Are you going to get the bearing/differential replaced?
Just had 5100's installed with no rear end tsb or AAL's at the 1.75 setting.
I have a double cab( 06 ) 4x4 sport, Long bed also. Check out my recent
post in the recent threads area for pictures ( by 69z28 )
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Hell bent for leather
69z28 is on a distinguished road

69z28's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/17 Terra Grapplers on 17x9 Liquid metal wheels
Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share your measurements...what size are your tires and wheels?
While I'm running 265/70-16 for now (hope to go to 265/75 this fall and correct the stock speedo error), the advantage of posting the measurements with the difference columns was that it won't matter what size tires you have. Use the difference column to add to what yours currently measures at to get an idea of what each setting will mean for you.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
i did not know it was a comon thing i just had my front diff replaced under waranty at 27000 miles for a bad bearing.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE:
I took 08TRDOFFROAD's advice and installed the differential drop yesterday. Setting the 5100's to .85 raised the front 1 inch and installing the diff drop essentially placed the front diff at the same angles it was with the stock shocks. After driving it all day today and testing it out, no more vibe. Can't hear it, can't feel it.
So a big Thanks goes out to ya! You da man!

Too bad I could feel it at .85 because I would have loved to put them at 1.75 for the ride quality and then have the drop to put it into the same angles as the .85. But that would just bring back the vibe.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
05Moose I noticed you describe the same lift set up I was looking at getting, from the sounds of it seems to be good. Your truck looks good and now I have an idea of what mine would look like. You have the timbrens and how are they? I only ask because I don't have the TSB done to my truck. I am still have to order mine froom Wheelers probably do that tomorrow and still need to measure where the ruck sits stock. Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Timbrens were a life-saver before the AAL. Worked great when loading up the back with firewood and made the ride much smoother when loaded. But if you don't have an extra leaf, the timbrens will touch the frame more often. I think that makes for a slightly bouncier ride...or maybe it was all due to my worn-out shocks. I just can't believe the difference in the ride from before!

With the AAL, the timbrens probably will never be used. I hauled a couple of loads of gravel last week (1/2 yard each time) and the timbrens weren't even being used because the AAL helped out so much. Rear leafs were pretty much flat all the time, now they're shaped like they should be.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I was undecided on the timbrens because I plan on using the truck to haul stuff just not all the time and the AAL sounds like all i need. Now to just order what I need.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
.90" at 30feet away looks like a gnat
Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a diff drop. $20