Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

valve adjustment

Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
valve adjustment

Does anyone know when we need to do the valve adjustment on out trucks? I have 84k on mine and i get a lot of vavle noise so im thinking it might be time.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
Never
Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was told that they should go 250K miles before they need an adjustment.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Awesome, it must just be a figment of my imagination then.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In other words, the truck will have been bought back by Toyota due to frame rust before a valve adjustment is needed.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #6

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
i thought mine needed it too... making a ticking kinda noise... then i found out it was a tsb for a gasket on my exhaust... i think the gasket around the o2 sensor... that was 65,000 miles ago... still running strong.
Awesome. Do you know what gasket it is? Or where i can find that tsb? I need to get my shit fixed ASAP. I really fell like i lose powere when i hear that ticking shit.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
In other words, the truck will have been bought back by Toyota due to frame rust before a valve adjustment is needed.
i'd be down of a rust buy back
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #8

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How do i go about doing this?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
How do i go about doing this?
What you do is, drive your truck for 8 years and hope that you and many others have rust problems. Then, Toyota buys your truck back for 150% of it's value. See, it's like an investment with a great return.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #10

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What you do is, drive your truck for 8 years and hope that you and many others have rust problems. Then, Toyota buys your truck back for 150% of it's value. See, it's like an investment with a great return.
Loving it. Although it does not fix my current problem.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Kylie's dad

All I can say about that is to bring it in and have it looked at.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
RogerGene is on a distinguished road
RogerGene's Tacoma Gallery
Try higher octane fuel next fill-up. If ticking changes or disappears, there's the problem, and short of major engineering, no real easy fix.
Valve adjust--Aren't these double overhead cams? Therefore, no rocker arms, i.e. no adjustment? You have me wondering, hmm.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #13

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGene View Post
Try higher octane fuel next fill-up. If ticking changes or disappears, there's the problem, and short of major engineering, no real easy fix.
Valve adjust--Aren't these double overhead cams? Therefore, no rocker arms, i.e. no adjustment? You have me wondering, hmm.
I'm gonna be honest with you guys, im not a guru when it comes to these trucks. I just know the real basics. And I always use shell Vpower which is 91 octane. Funny thing, when i called toyota to ask about the valve adjustment they said,"at 60k or when they get too loud." Why would the say that if they need no adjustment?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #14
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dalsmthme's Tacoma Gallery
The valve train is a direct acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) valve train. It does not have a hydraulic lash adjuster. They eventually need to be adjusted. They very the shickness of buckets or shims under the buckets. Very simple and stiff valve train, kinda noisy though....
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
RogerGene is on a distinguished road
RogerGene's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, "dalsmthme", most of my wrenching is from older tech engines. I'll be thinking about an adjustment soon.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about on the 5vz?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
What about on the 5vz?
Im not sure what its interval is. Its the same Shim under bucket system though....
Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im not sure what its interval is. Its the same Shim under bucket system though....
Yea, I knew it was a shim under bucket. Even though I dont understand the benefit of a "shim under bucket" lol.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Yea, I knew it was a shim under bucket. Even though I dont understand the benefit of a "shim under bucket" lol.
I believe the shim under bucket design holds its adjustment better and longer. Im not sure though.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dalsmthme's Tacoma Gallery
A direct acting mechanical bucket valve train is very strong and stiff. The valve train inertia is very low. They have a big advantage when designing combustion chambers specifically with valve angles. They are simple and robust but require adjustment intervals and tend to be noisy.