Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I think i have an exhaust manifold leak

Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think i have an exhaust manifold leak

Whenever i start my truck up and its cold outside, by cold i mean below 65F, i get this weird winding/buzzing/humming noise. Then when i start to drive it, it sounds like the exhause manifold is leaking. After a while it goes away but i still get it between 2000-2500 rpm. I took the truck to an exhaust shop and they told me they couldnt hear anything. I also couldnt here anything on the way home but that was probable because it was 84F outside and the truck had been running all day. Since it only happens on cold mornings and when the truck is cold im thinking it might just be the gasket on the exhaust manifold? Also ive been experiencing some vibrations throught the steering column and the floor board, and some on the gas pedal. Truck makes a lot of engine noise at 2000 rpm. Im hoping this is all related to the exhaust manifold. Anyone have the same thing going on, or some advice for me?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
06aztaco's Tacoma Gallery
not sure what problem you have, but smelling exhaust in the cab when stopped is more characteristic of an exhaust leak..
Good luck though
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
i know its a little different, but my cast I4 manifold on my 98 cracked and would only hiss like you say until it warmed up and the metal expanded and closed the crack. but our manifolds arent cast...but i think your trouble shooting it right when you say it only happens when cold and not when the truck is warmed up and such.

start the truck up when cold and try to find the source of hte noise...that will give you a better idea of what is going on.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a gear issue. They sound tell its warm. Check your fluids.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
Sounds like a gear issue. They sound tell its warm. Check your fluids.
Gear issue? What fluids do i check? BTW my truck is a 2006 a/t with 84k.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Gear issue? What fluids do i check? BTW my truck is a 2006 a/t with 84k.
You still have a warranty on it? The whirling noise can be a dry gear, a bearing, a belt. Exhaust leaks usually tick and dont go away depending on how bad the leak is. That front diff could be making noise. Without hearing it I can only guess. You sure its not your fan clutch? Sounds like thats most likely it.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
^ im guessing with him on this, usually dont agree with a 4x4 grrrr
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
^ im guessing with him on this, usually dont agree with a 4x4 grrrr
Kinda sounds like a fan clutch before they warm up during start up. What do you think?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #9

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its not 4x4. And now that you mention it, it does sound like a clicking noise at times. This is apearantly do to the exhaust manifold. I just found a tsb for it but it only cover 96months and 80k. Im at 84k. Im speaking to the service manager tomorrow, i hope he'll go ahead and fix it anyways. Im praying like crazy right now. Is there anyway to diagnose the fan clutch?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Its not 4x4. And now that you mention it, it does sound like a clicking noise at times. This is apearantly do to the exhaust manifold. I just found a tsb for it but it only cover 96months and 80k. Im at 84k. Im speaking to the service manager tomorrow, i hope he'll go ahead and fix it anyways. Im praying like crazy right now. Is there anyway to diagnose the fan clutch?
Just try and spin it when its cold. If it spins in your hand with some resistance thats a good sign. If it wobbles going from front to back then the bearings are going bad so you should change it. Just ask them to check the fan clutch to if you can bring it to the shop.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^gosh darn i hate agreeing with a 4x4 again but he beat me... haha jk................ i can run spindles so im happier
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
^gosh darn i hate agreeing with a 4x4 again but he beat me... haha jk................ i can run spindles so im happier
lol
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Almost there

Quote:
Kinda sounds like a fan clutch before they warm up during start up. What do you think?

no way am i gonna compete with a person that has a 4x4 on advice .....
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
no way am i gonna compete with a person that has a 4x4 on advice .....

uh oh . bahahaha
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy has an exhaust leak in his cherokee and it sounds like a lawn mower when he starts it, but once the pipes warm up it goes away.

so that kinda relates to your symptoms, but not sure if your "humming" is the same thing as his lawn mower.....the lawn mower is very obvious when the car starts
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Almost there

Quote:
lol
hey man lets wheel out by you some time....ill hit you up when ill be out there
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #17

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
my buddy has an exhaust leak in his cherokee and it sounds like a lawn mower when he starts it, but once the pipes warm up it goes away.

so that kinda relates to your symptoms, but not sure if your "humming" is the same thing as his lawn mower.....the lawn mower is very obvious when the car starts
No mine does the same shit. I just have a hard time explaining noises. Im weirt that way. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
CRAZY 4WHEELER

Quote:
hey man lets wheel out by you some time....ill hit you up when ill be out there
For sure.