Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Roof Rack Poll

View Poll Results: Which Roof Rack is the BEST?
OEM 597 44.42%
THULE 259 19.27%
YAKIMA 265 19.72%
CUSTOM 109 8.11%
OTHER 114 8.48%
Voters: 1344. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
OME, it's awesome cause it flips back when not in use. Cuts down on noise and looks nice. Only thing I've ever had up there is my sea kayak and once the kayak and a raft. Holding up great after about 3 years.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #22
tooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kellon
tooblutacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Custom! The strongest way to go in my opinion.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would definitely go OEM. I had a Yakima rack on my Accord going up the canyon to go skiing at Park City and the wind caught it and ripped it off my roof. To all the haters yes it was installed correctly. The Accord was a coupe so there wasn’t a lot of space between the bars but regardless I would steer clear of the racks that hook into the door jams, not to mention where the posts rest on the roof can scratch the paint. Yakima / Thule accessories are awesome I’d recommend them 100%.
Skis and snowboard were fine, we still went skiing that day.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
I like the look of the OEM and being able to stowe the bars is pretty cool. I heard of other racks damaging the paint if left on for a long time. No sure if that is true or not.

I have an OEM and can't wait for a nice day to install it. It looks to be well made.

True, I had a Yakima rack damage the paint on my Accord and my brother had a Thule rack damage the paint on his Mazda were the fairing rubbed. The fairing rubbed all the way down to bare metal.

Go OEM - Others may have good experiences but as for me I would only recommend the Thule / Yakima accessories.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #25
JESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
JESSMAN's Tacoma Gallery
I put my yakima in over BED!!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
NC Coast is a name known to allNC Coast is a name known to allNC Coast is a name known to allNC Coast is a name known to allNC Coast is a name known to allNC Coast is a name known to all
Army: 1st Air Cav - 18 Months VietNam
Name: Bill
NC Coast's Tacoma Gallery
What are you hauling on your rack?

I know this thread is about "Roof Racks", of which I have had both Yakima and Thule on sedans and trucks to haul bicycles or kayaks - long sea or racing style kayaks that are from 17 to 20 feet in length. I have a Tacoma Access Cab (2 wheel drive, 4 cyclinder) PreRunner that I haul my canoe (16 ft, about 70 lbs) or two or three sea kayaks on - about 180 pounds for all three of them (60 lbs each). For this use I put a Thule truck bed rack on my Tacoma.
It's rated for up to a 450 load. The top sections of all four "post" come off so you can easily and quickly remove most of the rack if you are going to be on a long road trip and don't need the rack - or the wind drag it creates. I am sure most of you don't need or want this type rack on your Tacoma but maybe there's someone else out there that hauls stuff like I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Rack Poll-tacoma2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
I voted other for the simple fact that I don't like roof racks on pickup trucks. I was a Yakima fan for years until I got my Tacoma and got crap customer service from them. Switched to Thule for the simple fact that they were able to help me out and provide the information I needed. I run Thule bike trays with the Toyota factory bed cross bars with no modifications and stuff. I'm thinking about adding a basket as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #28
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dave
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed an OEM rack, today! Haven't had anything on it yet, but it looks great! Hope to carry my kayak up there, soon.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #29
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
was it a very hard install? I have to put mine on eventually. I had it since Christmas.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #30
Pyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of light
Pyriteship's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
was it a very hard install? I have to put mine on eventually. I had it since Christmas.
I'm also curious to know how the OEM installs - does it require drilling or is a bolt up application? Also, about how much does an OEM rack cost?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #31
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have one on my Tacoma but I have a Thule on my Camry. I use it to take our surfboards to the beach and also sometimes use it for a kayak. I take mine off every so often to wash under the rubber pads for the door mounts. Well, last time I took it off I noticed that under the right rear pad the paint started to bubble a little bit. I guess that moisture gets under there, along with dirt and salt and caused it to start rusting. Bottom line is I like the rack cause it serves it's purpose. It is quiet and easy to use, you just have to take extra good care of the paint under and around all of the door mounts.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #32
Pyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of lightPyriteship is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
I just installed an OEM rack, today! Haven't had anything on it yet, but it looks great! Hope to carry my kayak up there, soon.
Some quick Googling indicated that the OEM rack might only be available for the DC Taco, is that correct??
Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #33
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyriteship View Post
I'm also curious to know how the OEM installs - does it require drilling or is a bolt up application? Also, about how much does an OEM rack cost?
No drilling at all and I'm pretty sure its only for the Double Cabs.
The insturctions look pretty basic, hopefully its not too hard. I never got around to putting them on yet. But yeah its just a bolt on application with no drilling. You have to remove those black weather stripping on the roof and the holes are underneath
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #34
Quote:
No drilling at all and I'm pretty sure its only for the Double Cabs.
The insturctions look pretty basic, hopefully its not too hard. I never got around to putting them on yet. But yeah its just a bolt on application with no drilling. You have to remove those black weather stripping on the roof and the holes are underneath
Thanks! At least for the DC owners who like the OEM rack, that's good news.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #35
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty simple to install. No drilling, at all. You just need a torque wrench and and a torx head bit (T-30 I believe). The dealer wanted $450 when I bought my truck. I told them to get lost, and got it online for $230.

http://www.tacomapartsstore.com/prod...roducts_id=793
Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #36
Swollen Member
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some quick Googling indicated that the OEM rack might only be available for the DC Taco, is that correct??
Yep. I have only seen a DC roof OEM roof rack. I don't believe they make them for the Access Cab.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #37
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a Con-Ferr rack the other day (craigs list find). It came with a High-Lift jack and jack mount and 4 KC Daylighters. It was a 5' wide job, but with a little cutting and welding it is now 4' wide. It is 6.5' long and will cantilever over cab, to approximately the midway point of the back doors. It has four mounting "feet" which I plan to simply bolt to the top of the camper shell. I think this will give it a very low profile appearance.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best material to use as a gasket between the mount and paint?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #38
yan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shedyan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yan's Tacoma Gallery

sold it to AZtacoma05
Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
acmair's Tacoma Gallery
Roof racks, especially the OEM one look too cheap imo
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #40

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I disagree

Products Discussed in this Thread