Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Roof Rack Poll

View Poll Results: Which Roof Rack is the BEST?
OEM 589 44.45%
THULE 256 19.32%
YAKIMA 261 19.70%
CUSTOM 108 8.15%
OTHER 111 8.38%
Voters: 1325. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #41
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacofanatic05' View Post
There are many people who dont like the roof racks, i personally like them!
i'm one. that's why i bought a truck, so i don't need to put crap on top of it...

if i did, it would be on a cap..

but after looking at the pics, the thule looks so much better than the oem...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #42
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dave
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmair View Post
Roof racks, especially the OEM one look too cheap imo
I was a little disappointed in the quality of some of the OEM roof rack materials, but it looks good once installed and feels pretty secure. I just like the OEM look over the aftermarket look, although Yakimas and Thules are removable, so that is a plus.

I'm not too worried about the OEM roof rack being able to carry my kayak, but I always run a strap over the kayak and through the doors, just so it's strapped to the whole vehicle and not just the rack. I'v heard horror stories about whole racks tearing loose with a kayak still attached.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #44
captain.cardinal1 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: staff sgt
Name: chad
captain.cardinal1's Tacoma Gallery
i love the yakima, works great, looks great, and quiet
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #46
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
OEM...only cuz that's what came on truck. I like the stow-away feature of the bars. When driving around with them in the un-stowed position (and not using them), it was noisy. Other brands do have this ability, unless you simply remove.

Con of OEM:
Find a Thule or Yakima mount that works with your crossbars. I haven't looked, but you should investigate before committing.

Thule vs Yakima:
Both are awesome/similar. I like Yakima slightly better.

I'm looking into mounting Yakima rails on the truck bed sides and then a set of Yakima feet/crossbars so I can keep the bikes low and behind the cab.

Planning on using a roll up cover under the rack.

There are many many options out there. You just need to define your uses and then search out the rack that fits. GL
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #47
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I have a thule mounted to my snugtop, but do want to put some racks on my cab. Thought that the OEM wasn't an option after the fact. Now that some say they have done it, I will look into that again.
Not sure if my truck will look crappy though with OEM on the cab and thules behind on the snugtop.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #48
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
I voted OEM

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #49
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
Ever think about putting the roof rack across your bed? Like over a bed cover on top of the rails? Im thinking of doing this because putting bikes on top kills the gas milage, and I can still store gear under it in the bed. Just an idea. I guess it depends on what your using the rack for too
Old 04-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #50
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
Ooops someone beat me to it... sorry
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #51
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Yakima rack on my camper top and absolutely love it...very good quality, easily adjustable, and is very easily removed. However, I think if I were going to put a rack on the cab I would go with the OEM unit. On other vehicles I have had Thule racks and they always left marks on the roof after extended usage...I would guess since the OEM rack mounts in the rain gutter that this isn't an issue.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #52
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I dig the Thule personally
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #53
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the OEM rack today. I'm very pleased with the constuction of the rack. The material seems to be well made. The installation was pretty easy and a fun little project. I like how it came out and it seems like it will suit my needs perfectally.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #54
GunshipGuy is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AC-130H
GunshipGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Great Thread - Timely as I'm looking for tips

I'm new here, and just got a Tacoma yesterday. Love it...been wanting one for a while. It's a 2010 Double Cab. I don't have a rack on it, but I want to go with the OEM. The plan is to buy it from ToyotaPartsPeople for $212 and install it myself...doesn't look that hard.

I read on here that some have installed Thule cross rails on OEM racks. I was concerned this might not work after looking at the OEM site since the OEM rack depicted in their "fit" section doesn't look like an OEM 2010 rack. That might just be my mistake, but I want to make sure before ordering/installing the OEM rack.

If anyone has Thule or Yakima cross rails on a late model double cab with an OEM rack can you tell me how you like it, and if you'd recommend it? If so, what kind of Thule/Yakima crossbars and anchors did you use?

BTW, intent is to get crossbars on to load a kayak on the top. I like the Thule/Yakima equipment for this, and that's why I want to use their hardware on top of the OEM rack.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #55
Aeolus is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Aeolus's Tacoma Gallery
Took this with my phone, sorry for the blur. Just read some of you were thinking about putting a rack over the bed and thought I'd show off my solution.

I bought an Undercover, basically for price and advertised strength. I am a land surveyor, so the bed is full of all my equipment, except my optical stuff which it a little to fragile and expensive, so I carry it behind the drivers seat.

The rack is a Yakima. I used the aftermarket, factory style tracks, actually Thule made these, they are the same as the Yaks, just a little cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Track-Mo.../dp/B000CQ20AK
I had to cut 6 inches off to fit the cover.

The towers are Yakima Control Towers with Landing Pads (01). I have two Copperhead bike mounts and a Yakima Basket Case.

The whole setup is new, so aside from putting my road bike on to make sure everything fit right, I have not used it to carry a bike yet. I assume the gas mileage will be better this way than on top, plus the bike is lower than it would be on most cars so hitting the Tacoma Bell after the ride will be safer for my bike and truck.... I've seen too many bikes and cars destroyed from drive-thru's and garages.

The cool thing is that the struts on the cover are strong enough to hold the cover, rack and my road bike up... at least for now. Someday I may have to replace them with stronger lifts someday... hope not though.

the cargo rack has already proved to be extremely useful, especially since I have little room to spare in the bed... very glad I splurged there.

I will eventually put a OEM rack up top to carry lumber and my 8'+ creek boat... waiting for the wife to okay that one though. When I do that i'll probably fabricate a ladder type rack to temporarily attach to the bed rack when I need to pick up 4'x8' materials for various home projects i'm working/planning on.

Sorry for the long rambling post... just thought the info might be useful to some folks here a TW. I'll eventually post some better picks of the truck and it's various upgrades and mods.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #56
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolink View Post
If I didn't have the cap, I would put these Thule bars on the cab. Easy on, easy off, stout. I mount them when I need them.

Cool! A Geodetic surveyor! I've used the Trimbles and Ashtecs some time back.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #57
bluehair62 is on a distinguished road

bluehair62's Tacoma Gallery
ADVICE>>>> Would the OEM racks be secure enough to hold down a couple surfboards? I would hope so!! BTW... The photos are GREAT!!! Really helps selecting what ones I want... THANKS.

BH
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #58
Everyday Trollin'
LaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really niceLaTeM is just really nice
Name: MeTaL
LaTeM's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to LaTeM Send a message via AIM to LaTeM Send a message via Yahoo to LaTeM Send a message via Skype™ to LaTeM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtacoma05 View Post

Wilderness Rack on Thule bars.. Hi lift goes on the driver side and axe/shovel go along passenger side and im in the process of putting up spare mount up there for a full size spare.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #59
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Thule on my Leer 100xq. I have used both yakima and thule but have mostly thule parts/attachments. I think they are a little better quality. I have some snowboard racks that have been on the trucks and cars I have owned since 1990. The locks still work great and no signs of problems. The Thule kayak stackers I think are more functional and stronger, however are a bit wider. The look is great and fit is factory quality. I am a very satisfied long term Thule guy.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
bluehair62 is on a distinguished road

bluehair62's Tacoma Gallery
Installed OEM rack last night... Looks great and not as loud as my old Yacks!! Test comes today taking Surboard and MTB bike to fav surf spot... Trestles.

Best regards...

Products Discussed in this Thread