Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Roof Rack Poll

View Poll Results: Which Roof Rack is the BEST?
OEM 597 44.39%
THULE 259 19.26%
YAKIMA 265 19.70%
CUSTOM 109 8.10%
OTHER 115 8.55%
Voters: 1345. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #101
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM rack has worked well for hauling the canoe and 16 ft. lumber when pared with one of those racks that hook to your trailer hitch receiver. This one pivots and the width adjusts. I can load and unload this long ass canoe by myself.

At this angle, the boat looks like it is close to the windshield, but it's not even close.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #102
cobrakenny will become famous soon enoughcobrakenny will become famous soon enough

Name: Ken
cobrakenny's Tacoma Gallery
Wow fishshooter, that really is one long ass canoe!
Better put a big ole red flag on there for all those idiots out there trying to drive while texting!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #103
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I tie a red bandana and orange surveyors tape to the end. Some people will still pull under it at red lights. Good thing it is so high above most vehicles.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #104
Greg
Surf Taco is on a distinguished road

Surf Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Rack Options

I use both Thule & Yakima accessories on my truck. But I don't have anything over 10' long so I can use my truck bed rack option i.e. L2S Sport Rack System. I do mount Kayaks, bikes, surfboards, cargo boxes, etc. I love it! It works perfect on the Toyota rail system.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #105
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
Get Yakima. Been using them for over 12 yrs on all sorts of stuff. Don't listen to those knuckle heads for the other brands like Thule. Go Yakima. You will not regret it.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #106
Wasting away in the frozen North
RobbKruger is on a distinguished road

Name: Robb
RobbKruger's Tacoma Gallery
OEM and Yakima Lowriders

Thanks to this site... and Squad314 in particular, I went the OEM rack route and added a set of Yakima Lowrider clamps and a set of 58" bars, mounted to the OEM bars in the stowed position. The fixed spread on the OEM bars leaves a bit to be desired, so the Yakima set up gives great flexibility without scuffing up the cab paint.
I have had my Thule Cascade XT loaded with camping gear along with 3 Mtn bikes on the rack and hauled it 400 miles and it's rock solid.

Gotta get some pics next time.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #107
Greg
Surf Taco is on a distinguished road

Surf Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Cover

Looking forward to seeing your picts! Here's a pic of my Taco Cover:

Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #108
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dave
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Taco View Post
Here's a pic of my Taco Cover:
Wow! Nice looking 'Taco Cover'! Where can I get one of those?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #109
cobrakenny will become famous soon enoughcobrakenny will become famous soon enough

Name: Ken
cobrakenny's Tacoma Gallery
Damn man, I don't think anyone can match that Taco cover!!! Can you build those in mass quantities???
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #110
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Send me a PM if you ever decide to part with that cover!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #111
rsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Tyler
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck with the oem rack on it, is there any snowboard holding attachments for the OEM rack?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #112
yellowlab will become famous soon enoughyellowlab will become famous soon enough
yellowlab's Tacoma Gallery
THULE with Yakima Box, custom track rail mount onto the rails of the Truck Covers USA rolling tonneau cover. 417 feet or 430 feet with TK1 adaptors. Low profile, fits in my garage and parking garages and frees up bed and keeps gear dry!
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Rack Poll-img_0186.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #113
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad yellowlab. If I did not want my shell, I'd done similar.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #114
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbKruger View Post
Thanks to this site... and Squad314 in particular, I went the OEM rack route and added a set of Yakima Lowrider clamps and a set of 58" bars, mounted to the OEM bars in the stowed position. The fixed spread on the OEM bars leaves a bit to be desired, so the Yakima set up gives great flexibility without scuffing up the cab paint.
I have had my Thule Cascade XT loaded with camping gear along with 3 Mtn bikes on the rack and hauled it 400 miles and it's rock solid.

Gotta get some pics next time.

Glad that it worked out for you Robb.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #115
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note about what people are saying about Thule and Yakima or similar racks damaging the paint..

They are not designed to be left on the vehicle permanently, although they certainly can be left on all the time, as that is what most people do. What is recommended, is that you at least take them off once a year to do a thorough wash and wax of the roof, especially waxing where the feet sit on the paint. As far as rubber door seals starting to leak, proper maintenance can help that too, although I have never had a problem with them leaking. 303 aerospace protectant or something similar should be applied to all rubber seals and and plastics, especially those exposed to the elements.

I have had thule racks on all of my vehicles and I am a certified installer for Thule and Yakima as I have worked part time for Eastern Mountain Sports for almost 5 years now.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #116
mmmooretx will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFCS, vet. 70-74
Name: Mike
mmmooretx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mmmooretx Send a message via Skype™ to mmmooretx
I got the OEM unit when I got my 2011 Taco 4X4 off road, however I do like the Surco rack with the light and shovel/ax storage options. However I do not think they make a Surco Safari Rack that bolts to the OEM unit.
The search goes on....
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #117
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Just a note about what people are saying about Thule and Yakima or similar racks damaging the paint..

They are not designed to be left on the vehicle permanently, although they certainly can be left on all the time, as that is what most people do. What is recommended, is that you at least take them off once a year to do a thorough wash and wax of the roof, especially waxing where the feet sit on the paint. As far as rubber door seals starting to leak, proper maintenance can help that too, although I have never had a problem with them leaking. 303 aerospace protectant or something similar should be applied to all rubber seals and and plastics, especially those exposed to the elements.

I have had thule racks on all of my vehicles and I am a certified installer for Thule and Yakima as I have worked part time for Eastern Mountain Sports for almost 5 years now.

There's a guy locally selling a roof rack off an access cab 2nd gen... Would this fit on my 1st gen access cab with minimal modification or not?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #118
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
Name: Rich
streetdriven's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to streetdriven Send a message via Yahoo to streetdriven
just put my thule 480 rack on this weekend and I love it. Already used my J rack to put on my Kayak everything worked out perfect
Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #119
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Inno here. Reason is that they had the optional cool extenders you can add to the end of the bars to hang stuff from. Saved some $$$ over the more well known racks. Relatively unknown company but from what the guy at the shop said is taht they're huge in Asia and their stuff usually fits Asian cars better then other brands. Only thing I dont like about them is that theres no "1-key" system. So I have a key for the 4 feet, a key for the Yakima bike rack, and a key for the yakima box. Other reason is that Inno also makes the truck bed kit and I can just move bars down to there if I need to - much more secure then other bed kits out there IMHO.

Products Discussed in this Thread