Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Cheeto
Cheeto6182 will become famous soon enoughCheeto6182 will become famous soon enough

Navy: DC2(SW) Graves, USS Kitty Hawk CV-63, Eng Dep, R-Div
Name: Sean G
Cheeto6182's Tacoma Gallery
How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$

I have an AirAid CAI that wasn't really a TCAI because the incoming air/filter was still within the engine compartment. After looking at a few ram air set ups I figured I could make mine for less money. For now I wanted to keep the stock air box because I have the URD MAF that is programmed for it. Eliminating that airbox required a re-tune.

Tools
1: Grinder
2: Screwdriver
3: Drill

Parts
1: 3 inch exhaust pipe (14.00$)
2: One 3 inch air duct bracket from home depot (2.99$)
3: One Spectra intake mounting plate from Checkers (5.99$)
4: One Spectra intake tube coupler from Checkers (7.99$)
5: Spray pain (2.99)
6: One flexible duct from from home depot (5.00$)
7: Six self tapping screws (2.00$)

Procedure:
1: Remove Grill
2: Cut a square out of the sheet metal next to the radiator
2: Take your flexible ducting and mock up where you want the pipe to go. This way you can take it to an exhaust shop and they can use it as a template for your permanent piping. When making your mock up put the grill back on so you can make sure it lines up with the middle slot on the grill.
3: Go to an exhaust shop with a six pack of beer, bullshit with the one who looks like a beer drinker, talk about manly stuff, make a friend, go home with your custom shaped intake.
4: Put the intake tube where it will go (if you haven't already cut the tube to size/length this is when you'll do it) and mock up your bracket and air duct plate. My bracket was too big for the pipe so I used some weather stripping I had around to snug up the fit. This turned out to be a plus because it eliminates any possible squeaking from the metal to metal contact on the pipe/bracket. Eventually I will put a nicer bracket in though.
5: Cut out your scoop from the front of the pipe. I had the shop bend out the end of the tube so it would work like a slide for the air.
6: Mark where your bracket and intake duct will go. I didn't have a hole cutter bit, this is why I got the air duct plate. It's easy to cut a square out with a grinder. For the bracket and duct plate screws I drilled a guide hole with the smallest bit I had so the self taping screws wouldn't walk on me when it came time to mount.
7: Mount your air duct bracket and put your coupler on it. Mock up one more time to make sure everything is Kosher.
8: Paint
9: remount/assemble and replace grill

Now I have a ram air true cold air intake. The downside to this set up is the AirAid is not a sealed box, but that can/will be changed soon. All it will take is some sheet metal.
I'll also go to a plumbing supply store aka home depot and get a plug for the pipe so I can close it during bad weather and not suck up the elements.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-php03tcp4am.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phphlrnxham.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpmikkkrpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpwbaqbmpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpo2vzwnpm.jpg  

How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpk9mt3tpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpot6lllpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpcfnjlupm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpqzpdtcpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-php537qwdpm.jpg  

How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-php8hft7ppm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpumgiiipm.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
looks sweet man!! great idea and great job!!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Cheeto
Cheeto6182 will become famous soon enoughCheeto6182 will become famous soon enough

In the name of science I went out and got a wireless thermostat with a remote sensor. I mounted the sensor on the wall away from the engine with some thick double sided foam tape that I am hoping provides some insulation from the metal so I measure the air temp and not the metal's. I cruised up and down the same stretch of street, first with the pipe clogged, then with it open. I'm not sure about the quality/accuracy of this thermostat but there is definitely a difference here. Check out the pics, the "out" temp is where the sensor is in the intake. The "in" temp in the temperature inside my truck with all windows down.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpblqnbapm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpzgu2cvpm.jpg   How to make a "CAI" into a Ram Air TCAI for 40$-phpjqrjv1pm.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Cheeto

Yea my issue with the URD CAI was the outside filter, I live in Boulder Colorado and there is a lot of snow mud in my grill after a long drive. During Winter this can just be closed =)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
sp8ed2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
sp8ed2010's Tacoma Gallery
prob not the best idea for the colorado elements. Like the idea though and nice job.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
did you get the idea from empire performance and offroad? im in the process of my custom Cold Air Intake
Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
Cheeto

I was looking at getting the URD TCAI but didn't want snow and mud of Colorado winter roads getting directly to the air filter. I built a cover for it similar to the deck-plate mod so its not always open. The design just kinda evolved on its own lol Good luck with your CAI!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Great job!. I am brainstorming, figuring a way to make a ram air for my hood scoop but having difficulty of trying to figure a way to prevent water from going in. I'll keep searching..
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Great job!. I am brainstorming, figuring a way to make a ram air for my hood scoop but having difficulty of trying to figure a way to prevent water from going in. I'll keep searching..
Be careful with this idea. Where the scoop is located on the stock sport hood is not a high air pressure area as the scoop is not high enough (or forward or back enough). If you plumb the scoop and keep the stock fender intake area plumbed, I would expect that the air will flow from the high pressure fender area OUT through the scoop. This will scavage intake air, not ram it.

Again, just speaking from a thought concept here, haven't tried it myself.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
After researching some forums here, looks like its not going to work. Due to tacoma's aerodynamics, air travels over the scoop. Oh well, maybe I can make the scoop blow bubbles..
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but it's no Subaru. Same reason as stated above.