1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas tank and Engine Maintinence.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xSpyderguyx, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    xSpyderguyx

xSpyderguyx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Washinton State
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4L v6 SR5
    s40 Flowmaster 33" Toyo M/T tires 16" P.A wheels 3" revteck Suspension lift
    So. I was autozone the other day picking up a replacement bulb for my truck and the guy at the store had a sale on gas tank cleaner. he said it should be done every couple of months.

I have never done it? I have noticed a bit of slower throttle response. I figured it was because the truck is just getting a bit older. Do you guys ever put "cleaner" in with a full tank of gas?

What kind?
    How often?

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    I heard US dollar bills make a good toilet cleaner.

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    xSpyderguyx

xSpyderguyx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Washinton State
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4L v6 SR5
    s40 Flowmaster 33" Toyo M/T tires 16" P.A wheels 3" revteck Suspension lift

So??? Dont waste my money on engine cleaner? I use to wipe with 20$ bills before my taxes went up :cool:

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I throw some Techron fuel system cleaner in ever so often, and gas line antifreeze when the temperature gets down around 10 degrees or colder.

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    The guy at the counter is trying to make more sales for the store, you don't need to put it in every two months, way too often.
    Technically you really don't have to put any cleaner in, but it could be a good preventive measure and would keep everything running clean.

I would recommend using cleaner every 10,000 miles or every other oil change, this is what I do. I use Chevron cleaner with Techron, a lot people use this cleaner, and it works great. You could also use a longer mile interval each time you use it, everyone has a different opinion on this.

If you fill up at a gas station that uses a cleaner already mixed in (Cheveron), you may want to run a cleaner every 15,000-20,000 miles just to make sure. Hope that helps, also use the search function, a lot of good threads on this.

[​IMG]

6. Mar 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    +1

7. Mar 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    A dealership once tried to give me some line that American gas has no additives and I needed a fuel injector service every 30,000 miles.

After I got my truck I told him I'd never be back again since they lie so bad about stuff , I also saw them give some lady a royal screwing on her tires .

8. Mar 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    snowmansgarage

snowmansgarage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad AC Tacoma
    I have first hand experience with fuel issues in new vehicles. I've been working for a non-Toyota company for 8+ years and have seen the damage caused by poor fuel. If you want to avoid any fuel issues, first off use the proper octane and make sure it's from a top tier station. Secondly, the Chevron Techron additive is very popular and something we recommend even though we have our own system cleaner. Toyota also has a fuel system additive that I used during my last oil change, which brings me to my third point. I personally add a bottle during every 30k service as a preventative measure.

In my area I see a high alcohol content in the fuel (higher than 10%) which causes a multiple issues but mainly misfires and rough running on cold-start. The best thing I can recommend is use good fuel to begin with and safe yourself a lot of future issues.

9. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    hate2work

hate2work Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    Plus 1 on the 44K, it's the only FI cleaner I've used that I could actually tell it did something. Like the other poster said, it's pricey, but if you've got partially plugged injectors this stuff will help.

10. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    LaxVarsity04

LaxVarsity04 Caveman

Member:
    UCLA= Upper Corner of Lower Alabama
    Vehicle:
    96 4runner, soon to be 2010 DC TRD sport
    soon
    I run Lucas fuel injector cleaner every other oil change, and it seems to make the ticking go away and run alittle better

11. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    i forget what brand i used just remeber its a sliver bottle i think its gumout or something like that. i put in injector cleaner in it every 5000 miles when i do my oil. prob over kill but rather be safe then sorry.

12. Mar 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    My truck has had like 2 times where i started it lately that it was slow to start, like i had to turn the key for longer before it started, anyone know what would cause this??

01 4 cyl auto 134,000

Products Discussed in

To Top