Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Metal Miller Punisher Skid Plate Installed (PICS)

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Metal Miller Punisher Skid Plate Installed (PICS)

So I had custom ordered a skid plate from Metal Miller with the Punisher skull cutout so it would match my emblem. Here's what I did:
  • Painted skid plate Barcelona Red
  • Clear coated skid plate
  • Wrapped entire skid plate in 3M clear protective vinyl
  • Cut out a section of 1/2" plexiglass
  • Sanded the back of the plexi and then painted the back Super White
  • Left the front of the plexi clear
  • Applied 3M clear protective vinyl to the front of the plexi
  • Dremel'd out mounting slits on the left and right sides
  • Inserted 4.8" white LED strips into the slits
  • Drilled holes and mounted plexiglass to the back of the skid plate using similar stainless bolts/washers used to mount skid plate
  • Ran wires and mounted a switch in an empty switch block in the dash

During the day the skull looks white. At night, it glows.

Pics:

Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man, I like it! Rep for you for being unique
Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^troll....

looks slick man
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
so how many semis have you jacked so far Toretto.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
I think it looks sweet although how well will the vinyl and clearcoat stand up to abuse offroad?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I think it looks sweet although how well will the vinyl and clearcoat stand up to abuse offroad?
What is this off-road you speak of? I'm not a serious off-roader. The truck will be taken off-road, but I don't go hardcore enough to ever use a skid plate. The 3M vinyl is what they make the clear bras out of. I wrapped it in that vinyl to protect the paint from rock chips and any daily driving light abuse it might take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
so how many semis have you jacked so far Toretto.
Just my own. Oh, wait, you meant trucks.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
It's not my style but I admire the clever idea and quality execution.
x2. Way to be original. I've never seen anything like this on a skid plate. Great job on doing something different.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedWeirdo View Post
What is this off-road you speak of? I'm not a serious off-roader. The truck will be taken off-road, but I don't go hardcore enough to ever use a skid plate. The 3M vinyl is what they make the clear bras out of. I wrapped it in that vinyl to protect the paint from rock chips and any daily driving light abuse it might take.
I was tracking then you said clear bras and I lost focus. Time for some UG!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
x2. Way to be original. I've never seen anything like this on a skid plate. Great job on doing something different.
Thanks. I was originally just going to do a white backing. Then I thought I'd put a different spin on it.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sick!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
never though of using the 3m vinyl. should have used that on the backplate behind my trd cutout...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Slick! Very clean.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
never though of using the 3m vinyl. should have used that on the backplate behind my trd cutout...
You can get a pretty good sized sheet on eBay for relatively cheap.