1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a arm clearance

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtaco, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Apr 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM
    jtaco

jtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok i have done some researching on the net and seems to me that im not the only one with hardly any clearance from the a arm to the tire. seems that lots of people complain about this on 05-07 tacos and chains or wire on the tires absolutly will not work no way possible.Also deflation for sand will not work either cause they will rubb bad. i had 2-3" suspension lift put on it and that helped maybe a tad bit. but i think i need some different a arms? could someone reccomend where to get a nice set at a decent price?
    would spacers help to or is that a bad idea? i plan on putting 16x8 rims with a better backspace then factory and also 265/75 r16 tires.

2. Apr 28, 2008 at 3:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What kind of lift are you running? Spacers (where are they mounted)? Coils?

A tire with more backspacing would definately help....

I wouldn't run wheel spacers unless you absolutely can't fix this other ways first.

3. Apr 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok i have skyjacker 3" susp lift with add a leaf. from what i can tell , only thing in front added was longer skyjacker struts. no lift spacers in this kit. yes i am currently looking into some 16x8 rims with 4 or 4.5 backspacing,. which do u suggest and which will give more clearance and will new arms help at all? some people have problems with aftermarket rims clearing the calipers on tacomas, is that a problem with 16x8s?

4. Apr 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    16's should clear the calipers no problem. the backspace is where you're gonna get your clearance. which a-arm is the one you're talking about? top or bottom?

5. Apr 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    the upper arm close to the top of tire. i was told to try 16x8 with 4 or 4.5 backspacing first and see if that gets me more clearance which it should.

6. Apr 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    So...your lift is a Coil replacement? Or is it an adjustable strut?

7. Apr 29, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ok kit did come with coils i think i dont know, i also got all new shocks(struts came with it), so i guess its an adjustable strut up front because here is the kit , the pic is not what it all has in it, u have to read where it says "kit includes" http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71785 . i got shocks that skyjacker sells for this kit also. hell of a deal with coils(if that is coils) and struts and leaf included. i know for sure it brought the front up level with the back and the whole thing a lil bit higher . but i dont know if front struts are adjustable or not. i dont think they are but there is no adapter spacer or block in front or back
    . ok can someone tell me difference or how much clearance difference there would be between these 2 rims?
    16x8 ,0mm offset and 4.5 backspacing, compared to a 16x8 , -11mm offset with 4" backspacing.
    how many inches does each one stick out past the fender?
    will the 4" backspacing clear the caliper on my 05 tacoma?

Products Discussed in

To Top