Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 Throttle body

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of

Name: Alex
06stex's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 Throttle body

So Tw my 2006 tacoma has 65,000 miles and i just replaced the second set of spark plugs at 60,000 miles.

So here is what i did for Sunday, went to the auto parts store and bought some non chlorinated brake cleaner and a really good throttle body cleaner.

First removed engine cover and removed 2 bolts holding air cleaner assembly and throttle by wire plug.

Next i removed the air flow sensor and cleaned it carefully with the non chlorinated brake cleaner and let it air dry on my kitchen table while i performed the next small service.

Ok, so here i removed the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold so i could clean on both sides of the butterfly flap.

Let me tell you after 65,000 miles and a throttle body that has never been cleaned, man o man was the throttle body and intake dirty from air fuel mixture.

So next i cleaned the throttle body as perfect as i could with a clean rag and some throttle body cleaner. Keep in mind i cleaned both sides of the butterfly, something you cant do with the throttle body mounted. Then i got another rag and sprayed throttle cleaner directly on it and cleaned the inside of the intake the very best i could as far as my big hand would allow me too.

Finally i reassembled everything the same way it came apart.

TW keep in mind that i just replaced the plugs and oh my gosh i never realized how much power was lost with a dirty throttle body and probably gas mileage.

My uncle who owns a shop told me to do this and oh my goodness what a difference it made. Made my engine feel somewhat new again!!!

Simple service that can be done in about 20 minutes and makes a huge difference oh and if you do this be really careful with the air flow sensor( it costs a lot), and make sure to disconnect the positive battery terminal to kinda reset the computer and allow for adjustment.

Just some simple thought, try this and your truck should run a lot smoother and have some more pep or throttle response. Thanks Alex
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
NyQuil on the rocks.
nuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to all

nuckinfuts's Tacoma Gallery
Where's the pics? I need to do this, just turned 77k and I'm sure it's a bit dirty. It helped a ton on my old car with 300k+ miles.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
im totally doing this
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiTaco View Post
Nice...+1. Helpin us learn some shite! Thanks! Too soon At 46,xxx ?
Eh, maybe. It wouldnt hurt either way and it gives you time to spend with your truck. So I would lol. And yes, if any photos were taken post them!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stex View Post
Let me tell you after 65,000 miles and a throttle body that has never been cleaned, man o man was the throttle body and intake dirty from air fuel mixture.
I'm sure it was dirty, probably mostly from the PCV/MUA system, but no fuel passes the throttle body--only air and anything coming from the PCV/MUA.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I cleaned my throttle body about 35,000 miles ago. It did make a huge difference in the power. Took it for a test drive & was spinning the wheels on take off.

I need to clean it again. It has been lagging a bit. Was planning on cleaning it this week, since we will have 80 degree weather.

I didn't remove mine as the op did. And probably won't.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DO NOT WIPE THE MAF sensor wires, for anyone planning on cleaning it. The sensor wires are thin & can easily break. Just spray it with MAF cleaner & let it dry.

Or you will be out a few hundred for a new MAF.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #10
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06stex View Post
So Tw my 2006 tacoma has 65,000 miles and i just replaced the second set of spark plugs at 60,000 miles.

So here is what i did for Sunday, went to the auto parts store and bought some non chlorinated brake cleaner and a really good throttle body cleaner.

First removed engine cover and removed 2 bolts holding air cleaner assembly and throttle by wire plug.

Next i removed the air flow sensor and cleaned it carefully with the non chlorinated brake cleaner and let it air dry on my kitchen table while i performed the next small service.

Ok, so here i removed the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold so i could clean on both sides of the butterfly flap.

So next i cleaned the throttle body as perfect as i could with a clean rag and some throttle body cleaner. Keep in mind i cleaned both sides of the butterfly, something you cant do with the throttle body mounted. Then i got another rag and sprayed throttle cleaner directly on it and cleaned the inside of the intake the very best i could as far as my big hand would allow me too.

Finally i reassembled everything the same way it came apart.

TW keep in mind that i just replaced the plugs and oh my gosh i never realized how much power was lost with a dirty throttle body and probably gas mileage.

My uncle who owns a shop told me to do this and oh my goodness what a difference it made. Made my engine feel somewhat new again!!!

Simple service that can be done in about 20 minutes and makes a huge difference oh and if you do this be really careful with the air flow sensor( it costs a lot), and make sure to disconnect the positive battery terminal to kinda reset the computer and allow for adjustment.

Just some simple thought, try this and your truck should run a lot smoother and have some more pep or throttle response. Thanks Alex
Did you replace the throttle body gasket? Or use the same one?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Did you replace the throttle body gasket? Or use the same one?
x2?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
PIC'S please. Also, maybe a little better description of where the parts are located, and what to look out for. Thanks, my throttle response has really been off, im wondering how much this actually helped for that? Also, would using seafoam do the same thing?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
White Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Also, would using seafoam do the same thing?
If your talking about seafoaming your engine, then no, it will not clean the throttle body. But I have heard of people useing some type of seafoam spray to clean it out...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
DO NOT WIPE THE MAF sensor wires, for anyone planning on cleaning it. The sensor wires are thin & can easily break. Just spray it with MAF cleaner & let it dry.

Or you will be out a few hundred for a new MAF.

^^^^

X12 brazillian

ALSO, USE ONLY MAF CLEANER OR ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER ON THE MAF.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone be a little clearer about what exactly to do. His explanation was a little vague, especially for first timers like me.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
^ aw c'mon, they are a step by step, he even included how many bolts you have to remove!!

pics would help, but not needed to get the job done.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
06aztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Someone should do this and post before and after pictures. I could possibly do it this weekend, but not betting on it.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
Lord of Tomfoolery

I have pictures, but haven't had a chance to post them. Just for the basic cleaning. Not removing the throttle body.