1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another plea to bleed your brakes.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DontPanic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mar 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Today was the day I was finally going to do something about the spongy brakes on our 09 DC OR...

With new rotors, pads, and stainless lines in hand I crawled under the truck only to find I had the wrong brake line kit from G-stop (despite correct labeling on the pack). The rotors I had been shipped were wrong too... :confused:

So I resolved to do what I could while I was at it and remounted the OEM stock front pads with some CRC disc quiet - the rattle going over bumps is gone now!

I also decided to go ahead and bleed the brakes as I had all my stuff out. Got bubbles at both rear drums!?! This is the way the truck came from the baja factory as the brakes have never been touched.

Long story short the brakes are MUCH better. Easier to modulate and much better pedal feel. Had I been able to use the components I had ordered I would be typing a testimonial how much better the "upgrades" were.

Needless to say the brake upgrades are being returned and I am pleased to have improved brakes for less than $10 (not counting the shipping I am out). :D

2. Mar 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I just put new pads on my 07 this weekend. My brakes weren't/aren't spongy at all. They are pretty responsive, maybe it was just your particular truck. I'm at 60k miles. When I rotated my tires last week I noticed my pads didn't have too much life left in them so I decided to change them before they did any damage to the rotors. I didn't need to change the rotors thank goodness, I didn't have any vibration/shimmy when braking and they looked to be in good shape (no gouging) so I just swapped the pads.

Only $34 for a set of wearever golds from Advance Auto parts. I have put the wearever golds on all of my vehicles over the years and they seem to be a good pad, never had any issues with them.

3. Mar 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    My '06 is still on the OG brakes at just a tick over 47K. Not spongy at all, still stop as good as when new

4. Mar 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Dude my brakes are all jacked too. My pedal was traveling super far so i brought the truck to toyota. They checked and said my brakes were out of adjustment. Anyways, driving home brakes felt fine but now, one week later, they are doing the same shit again. WTF!!! I need to take them back to toyota but does anyone have any idea what this could be?

5. Mar 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    Air in the brake lines

6. Mar 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I too, had bad rear brake drums from my 09 baja taco. After replacement I complained about spunginess, dealer says they're ok but not like they should be. I may replace the lines as well...

7. Mar 31, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If they're not like they should be, how is that okay? Do this to your dealer :smack:

8. Mar 31, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ok I dont know if this is posted somewhere else but this thread is perfect to post this.
    Brake fluid should be replaced at least every 5 (5 summers) years. If you have spongy brakes it should be replaced sooner here is why.
    Brake fluid is designed to bind water which it does very often sucking water/moisture from air. What that does is after some period of time there is so much water in brake fluid that it affects the braking power. Water under high pressure will turn into vapor (air) and bubble up creating spongy brakes. Not to mention it will allow brake lines to corrode from inside. So what do you do.
    Make a habit of replacing brake fluid every few years. 3 - 5 depending where you live. If you live in high humidity location 3 years if dry area then 5 should be enough.
    How do you replace brake fluid. You simply bleed brakes until clear fluid comes up. Then make a quick run on sandy road with heavy breaking until ABS kicks in. And you bleed breaks again.

9. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    In all my years as a shade tree mechanic Ive yet to find drum brakes that self adjust properly. Try adjusting the rear drum brakes and it should take care of the low or spongy brake pedal. Works wonders on my rig.

10. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    What's a shade tree mechanic?

11. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    A do-it-yourself type without a garage who parks it under the nearest shady tree to do the work. My kind of dude.

12. Apr 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ha ha aren't we all :cool: ?
    And you know you are hardcore shady-tree mechanic when town sends you a letter telling you to get rid of various car parts from your front and backyard :D

13. Apr 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    LOL. I had never herd that before. Good to Know.

14. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    I have 77K on my 06 and the rear brakes are original. Getting a bit spongy, so they will be replaced on Wednesday. I'm to hard on my brakes not to have any !

15. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Man, my brakes suck. should I just take it to the dealer and let them dick with it, or just have someone around here (ie, the tidewater mechanically-inclined types) have a look at them?

16. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

This is one of the most neglected areas on all vehicles.
    I have seen some real crap/debris in almost new cars and truck lines.
    Fluid goes bad fast, overheating them, humidity, and neglect will lower the ability to stop when you need it most.
    spend a little time and replace that fluid often.

17. Apr 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    I replaced my breakfluid this weekend, and adjusted my rear drums. My brakes seem alot more firm. Im not sure which caused it. More that likely the new fluid because my rears where barely out of adjustment. You should really try changing your break fluid.

18. Apr 5, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    How hard is it to bleed the brakes and change the fluid?

19. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    It's actually not that hard. You take a turkey baseter and drain the reservoir. Then, bleed the brakes in the traditional way( starting from the furthest one first) until you get clear fluid coming out the line. Keep an eye on the reservoir and make sure it doesnt run low on fluid while youre bleeding the brakes. Easy as that. It's good to have someone to help you out with the bleeding, or you can purchase a bleeding kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top