1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Rack for Canoe?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JLeephoto, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    JLeephoto

JLeephoto [OP] Member

Member:
    N.C. Triad
    Vehicle:
    Red '05 Taco DC, TRD 4x4
    I think this is the one I've used though it's on loan to a friend right now who hauls a 15ft. canoe with the same short bed. http://www.amazon.com/Extend-A-Truck-944-Truck-Bed-Extender/dp/B00008BKX5#productDetails, I think it extends the reach by 3-4ft.
    I used it to haul a 13.5 Wilderness Ride (80+lbs.) and a 12ft. Tarpon (70+lbs). That put my boat supported by at least half it's length in a DCSB and I had no issues with support.
    My only real concern is someone failing to see it in low light and slamming into the boats. I travel with mine a lot and I've had a few tense moments at stoplights.

Rules are different state to state for the amount over overhang from a pick-up bed. Most just specify at what length something needs to be properly flagged.

If you ever decide to move the boat over the bed to provide storage, you can always run the extension upright and add a single cab bar. It also gets used to haul lumber. [​IMG]

BTW: If you decide to place boats over bed with a GoalPost/Cab Rack, I find loading much easier by lifting the bow of the boat overhead onto the rear support and then pushing it the rest of the way up and on from the stern. It means only lifting half the weight. Like my W/S Ride 135, your Oasis should ride fine in the upright position.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Jun 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    ToyotaTacoma2014

ToyotaTacoma2014 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 2014
    I am looking to put on the standard factory Toyota Tacoma Rack 2014 Double Cab roof rack and my question is. Will a surf board laying directly on the rack have clearance over the "Fin" XM antenna? I will also have rack pads which will add maybe a 1/2 inch. I have not been able to find anything on this one bit of info anywhere, and from the pictures have see I cannot tell from the angle if there is clearance or not. I do not want to go with this system if my board is going to be laying on the fin….

Thanks for the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top