Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Increasing rear end travel

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Increasing rear end travel

So right now I'm on C/O's with UCA's up front and All Pro's 1.5'' leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Timbren bump stops, and a u-bolt flip kit in the rear.

I'm not going to go LT because the truck has 80K miles on it and it's not worth it to me to put that much money into it at this point. Next truck...

I'd like to get some more travel out of the rear end, but I want to keep the truck level. If I get the 3'' leaf pack from All Pro my rear end would ride a little high. My C/O's are cranked to about 2.5'' or so and the truck sits level right now.

What options do I have, if any? The Timbren bumpstops seem to take up some of my travel, but they also seemed to help a lot with absorbing harder hits.

I even thought about putting a spacer between the coil over and the shock mount and then running taller leaf springs (or just adding a leaf to my leaf pack). Would that work well? I know it wouldn't increase travel at all in the front, but it would keep the truck level and shouldn't change the feel of the front end, right?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Ubolt flip kit? Not familair with that.

Maybe you mean shackle flip? if yes then you could probably find some shackles that will allow for more flex (droop anyway, your bumpstops always limit the tuck). Some shackles have flexy bushings that allow more flex, and the Revolver shackles extend and twist (mad droop!) but I'm not sure about a Tacoma application.

If you do not have a shackle flip kit on there, that's your next best move. But a shackle flip kit will add 1/2" lift... somthing to think about.

Also, I don't know much about the 5100's but they night be a limiting factor on your droop too, depending on how much travel they allow for.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the shackle flip kit and ditch the timbrens, add some air bump cans.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...tops-p-63.html
Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=Mxpatriot;1608696]I'd like to get some more travel out of the rear end, but I want to keep the truck level.quote]

To increase down travel with out changing ride height, you will need longer rear shocks. To fit longer rear shocks you will probably need to change the upper mounting location.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat as you are but i have the 6" fabtech. I ended up converting the top mount in the rear into a eye mount, putting in fully arched springs and a set of 12" travel 5125's. Helped a ton!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
I was in the same boat as you are but i have the 6" fabtech. I ended up converting the top mount in the rear into a eye mount, putting in fully arched springs and a set of 12" travel 5125's. Helped a ton!
Got any pictures of your setup?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Ok i just took these at work, let me know what you would like to see and ill take some with my digi at home (i took these with my phone.)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Ubolt flip kit? Not familair with that.

Maybe you mean shackle flip? if yes then you could probably find some shackles that will allow for more flex (droop anyway, your bumpstops always limit the tuck). Some shackles have flexy bushings that allow more flex, and the Revolver shackles extend and twist (mad droop!) but I'm not sure about a Tacoma application.

If you do not have a shackle flip kit on there, that's your next best move. But a shackle flip kit will add 1/2" lift... somthing to think about.

Also, I don't know much about the 5100's but they night be a limiting factor on your droop too, depending on how much travel they allow for.
It's a U bolt flip, not a shackle. Go look at a your truck and see how the bolts point downward, under the rear axle. Mine are the opposite, with only the smooth, rough "U" of the "U" bolt protruding down.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok i just took these at work, let me know what you would like to see and ill take some with my digi at home (i took these with my phone.)
Awesome!! Do you think you could PM me some pictures of your truck from further away, I noticed your exhaust is cut right behind that hangar, and I was thinkin about doin the same thing(only duals) and wanted to see how it would look.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
It's a U bolt flip, not a shackle. Go look at a your truck and see how the bolts point downward, under the rear axle. Mine are the opposite, with only the smooth, rough "U" of the "U" bolt protruding down.
Gotcha, ground clearance thing. Where'd you get that? or did you just flip the plate on top and get some U shaped U-bolts?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW. Could be it's not done yet or I just missed them but I don't see any bump stops there... Those shocks don't like to bottom out and will be toast after the first couple times. Order some tall bumpstops or raise your stock ones, something to stop up travel before the shock bottoms out.
Quote:

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #14

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Will do in the morning on the PM. as fr as the bumps go, I ordered the specs on these shocks so the the leaf would stop travel before the shock bottomed out.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

thats way hot
Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/a...hackle%20Flip/

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/index.html
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Justin do you have any pictures of them flexed?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #19

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some waay berrer pics. Ill get some flexed out pics when i get home tonight.