1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder rack on plastic bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hotrod N56, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    Hotrod N56

Hotrod N56 [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I'm looking for opinions/suggestions on mounting a steel ladder rack on a Tacoma 5' bed. With all the plastic, is there a way to assure a solid mount? Is the plastic stronger than I think it is? If I drill down through the side rails (plastic) to attach the 12" long brackets, will the plastic hold or crack/shatter? I have a Kargo Carrier rack that I'm modifying to fit, but there are few attaching points to actual metal. I don't want to end up with a destroyed bed and junk when I'm finished.

2. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Hotrod N56

Hotrod N56 [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I think I'll have two jigs fabricated: the front one will connect to the frame via the large bed bolts; the second will be bolted to the metal uprights in the bac of the bed near the tail gate. That way I'm connected directly to the frame. Both will simply rest on the top of the bed rail for support, but not as the only attaching point, because the bed rails are only plastic and probably don't have the strength needed to support any significant weigth or lateral stress without failing. Let me know what you come up with as a plan.

3. Apr 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR

Products Discussed in

To Top