Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

XM Ready radio w/antenna?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
manofmanycars is on a distinguished road
manofmanycars's Tacoma Gallery
XM Ready radio w/antenna?

New 2010 Tacoma with stock Radio (AM/FM/CD w/4 Spkrs + 2 in ceiling, Aux Audio Input, MP3-CD & Sat Radio Capable). Roof (top) of cab near back, appears to be a satellite radio antenna. Third party satellite vendor and installer says he's not sure if that is just an empty cap or if a satellite antenna is already there, in which case the antenna wire should already be fed from roof to radio? Anyone know anything about the antenna "cap"?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Yep the antenna is there, and the headunit is xm capable. All you need is the XM tuner. You can go aftermarket, or buy the toyota one.

I went the toyota route, and bought the xm tuner and the xm "fit kit". It's all plug and play. Took me less than a half hour, and you don't even need to remove the dash. All of the wiring is under the drivers side kick panel.

I can post the directions if you like.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
I used the factory Sirius kit. If you use the sirius kit you will also need a shark fin adaptor cable which runs about $60. Installation is the same. Very quick and easy install, even if you do it right.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
but cost on the stock install is steep. There are a few threads about installing the xm/sirius stock kits here. use the search function.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
but cost on the stock install is steep. There are a few threads about installing the xm/sirius stock kits here. use the search function.
Yeah the dealer wanted around $600 for it .

I bought the parts for $300 (I think you can get them for less these days), and installed myself in 30 mins.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
manofmanycars is on a distinguished road
manofmanycars's Tacoma Gallery
Getting Vais SL2XMT installed tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyota one.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the install instructions with toyota part numbers if anyone wants them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1226508625.pdf (745.6 KB, 255 views)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
It's two part numbers. One is the actual tuner, and one is a "fit kit" with all the plug and play wiring.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
High Speed, Low Drag
solidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to behold
solidcopy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Here are the install instructions with toyota part numbers if anyone wants them.
Those install instructions look pretty involved. When you say it took less than 30 minutes to complete, was that following the Toyota install guide?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
amati5 is on a distinguished road
amati5's Tacoma Gallery
While on this subject, Mine was purchased in 10/09 and the sat radio (I assume is free for certain amount of time before it went away) is still working. Anyone know how long it's free for? Actually, let me confirm to make sure I have sat radio (I don't even listen to them) When I hit the mode button, I get sat1, sat2 and sat3 and the rest, AM, FM, etc...Does this mean I have sat radio in my system (JBL)?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcopy View Post
Those install instructions look pretty involved. When you say it took less than 30 minutes to complete, was that following the Toyota install guide?
Yep all you do is remove the kick plate on the driver side , run the wries back to underneath the rear seat, and plug them into the receiver. All the wires are plug and play.