1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarms: A Must Have?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IrishPilot, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    It seems the info/opinion about having an alarm is mixed. Obviously I dont have a high end vehicle, or a boutique audio setup...but I know that doesnt mean Im clear of theft. It seems some people say an alarm is a must have, and others give it the "if they want your stuff, an alarm isnt going to stop them."

Im considering the Viper 5901. Two way, shock sensor, etc. Im just trying to decide if its worth the cost. I really dont think I have the type vehicle to attract a pro, but Im wondering if the alarm will deter enough to keep my safe from everything other than a window smash etc.

The vehicle is parked in a garage, in a good neighborhood, etc., but Im sure there are lots of theft stories that start with those exact words. Of course the big worry is being in foreign parking lots while shopping, etc.

Thoughts?

2. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    If you live anywhere near the border, get an alarm. Otherwise, na.

3. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    And by border, I mean the Canadian border.

4. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Disorderly

Disorderly Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the 5901 and its pretty nice. I don't love the side buttons on the remote though. To me its cheap insurance.

5. Apr 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    ive dealt with several cases in recent weeks where it was either an attempted motor vehicle theft...or larceny from motor vehicle...in several cases the victim has had an alarm triggered and it appears to be detering them around here for the most part

so...it seems to be helpful a little bit at least

6. Apr 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I would not own a car without an alarm.

Needs 2-way remote, hood pins, window magnets, back up siren/battery and glass sensor.

7. Apr 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Back in the 80s I had a stereo stolen from my car in my apt complex parking lot. they ripped the dashboard apart with a crowbar or somesuch. 6 months later they tried again with new stereo and alarm. The alarm went off and that chased the pricks off and woke me up to go down and relock the car.

Alarms aren't a cure-all but they do have some benefits depending on what you expect out of them. They probably won't stop the pros if the truck is left in a vulnerable location, but might deter them and more casual thieves in normal circumstances. Also, remote starters and such can be pretty useful depending on where you live and if you park your vehicle outside. So, cheap insurance against break-ins and nice convenience features make this a no-brainer for me.

8. Apr 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    My other halfs ride has an autopage two way paging w/ remote start. This is the greats that was added other than the sound sys. Starting the car in hot weather is awesome. I just need to wait til my funds are up to get mines

9. Apr 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Must have IMO. I got a viper 1002 pro installed for 299. its worth twice that to me, at least.

10. Apr 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Yes, I used to always install add-on pagers with my alarm systems but the 2-way remotes have paging built in these days. This is a great feature, for instance, if you are on travel and have to park in a motel lot where you might not hear the siren. The pager can still alert you to a break in. I still wouldn't leave anything super valuable out there but with the alarm and 2-way you probably don't have to offload everything to the room for the night. It all depends on the circumstances, like distance, what I plan to leave in the car, etc. etc. Works for me, anyway...

11. Apr 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    As a pure deterrent, no, not really. If you consider a drop in insurance (usually ~5%) and remote start/convenience, yea, they can be, depending on the cost of the alarm.
    I guess it depends where you park too. Park in Newark NJ and you can have 3 alarms and it wont matter one bit :)

Products Discussed in

To Top