Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Rear Diff?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Rear Diff?

When locking the rear diff on the gen 2 taco's, do you need to be in 4 low or can you lock it while in 2x4 as well?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
4low. It's all in the manual.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, L4 only... and when it is engaged, the light goes from blinking to solid... It may take a couple times... be sure to begin while stopped... have it in L4 already.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
milo39 is a jewel in the roughmilo39 is a jewel in the roughmilo39 is a jewel in the rough

Name: myles
milo39's Tacoma Gallery
PLEASE HELP! Ha.. i have a an automatic 2007 prerunner trd off road 2x4.. how do i engage my dlock?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo39 View Post
PLEASE HELP! Ha.. i have a an automatic 2007 prerunner trd off road 2x4.. how do i engage my dlock?
Push the button, drive slow, drive straight, read the owner's manual.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
This is, of course, only the case if you don't do the "Locker Anytime" mod. Haven't done it yet personally, but am thinking of doing it over the weekend (along with the "Rear-View Camera" mod).
Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stop and Press the RR Lock button next to your traction buttons.... What i like to do to disengage the locker is press the button and drive slow and rock the steering wheel back and forth it will do the job
Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Ha!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
And note that a 2x4 is a piece of wood- and 4x2 or 2WD is a driveline configuration....=)
priceless
and there might be a sticker on your drivers inside door "near where your arm rests"
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Stop and Press the RR Lock button next to your traction buttons.... What i like to do to disengage the locker is press the button and drive slow and rock the steering wheel back and forth it will do the job
Did the 2007 Taco have 'traction buttons'?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
And note that a 2x4 is a piece of wood- and 4x2 or 2WD is a driveline configuration....=)
And a "2x4" isnt really 2" by 4"......
Old 09-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And a "2x4" isnt really 2" by 4"......
x2

Its actually more like 1 3/4" by 3 3/4"
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Did the 2007 Taco have 'traction buttons'?
Ok ABS i only said that because he might of not known what ABS ment just saying.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok ABS i only said that because he might of not known what ABS ment just saying.
Hey, this is all about education and fun... Do you have an ABS button? The 2009 and newer Tacos have a VSC OFF button (switch)... which activates AUTO LSD in H2 or turns off the TRAC system for open differentials.

I don't know what was on a 2007...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey, this is all about education and fun... Do you have an ABS button? The 2009 and newer Tacos have a VSC OFF button (switch)... which activates AUTO LSD in H2 or turns off the TRAC system for open differentials.

I don't know what was on a 2007...
Yeah, i don't know much about the 2007s.... All i know is that it all gets disabled when the locker is on.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
milo39 is a jewel in the roughmilo39 is a jewel in the roughmilo39 is a jewel in the rough

milo39's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ha.. i dont know what ABS means.. =( and i dont know what i did with the owners manual.. so i tried it rightnow.. stopped the truck still in drive and i pushed the rr differential lock button and ABS light comes on then the light that looks like "truck wheels" start to blink then stay on.. assuming thats when it engages.. but it feels wierd when i turn and drive.. is it suppose to be smooth driving the whole time?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ha.. i dont know what ABS means.. =( and i dont know what i did with the owners manual.. so i tried it rightnow.. stopped the truck still in drive and i pushed the rr differential lock button and ABS light comes on then the light that looks like "truck wheels" start to blink then stay on.. assuming thats when it engages.. but it feels wierd when i turn and drive.. is it suppose to be smooth driving the whole time?
ABS= Antilock Brake System... it turns off when you lock the rear... and you did from what you say.

Why would you think locking the two rear tires together would be smooth?

The purpose is to keep you moving...

Normally, if one rear tire (in a 2WD) gets into the air from driving it over a rut, or it gets into snow, ice, sand, mud... and starts to spin... That's it, you are stuck! Open differentials put torque to the tire that spins the easiest (to facilitate turning).

Locking the rear differential puts torque to both rear tires, and doesn't allow one to spin more than the other... more chance to drive off the stuck.

Because they are locked together, steering is much harder unless you are on soft ground (ice, mud, sand, snow) that lets the tire slip while the other one rotates more in a turn.

The manual clearly states to unlock the differential as soon as you are unstuck... it is for emergencies only.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #19

milo39's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ABS= Antilock Brake System... it turns off when you lock the rear... and you did from what you say.

Why would you think locking the two rear tires together would be smooth?

The purpose is to keep you moving...

Normally, if one rear tire (in a 2WD) gets into the air from driving it over a rut, or it gets into snow, ice, sand, mud... and starts to spin... That's it, you are stuck! Open differentials put torque to the tire that spins the easiest (to facilitate turning).

Locking the rear differential puts torque to both rear tires, and doesn't allow one to spin more than the other... more chance to drive off the stuck.

Because they are locked together, steering is much harder unless you are on soft ground (ice, mud, sand, snow) that lets the tire slip while the other one rotates more in a turn.

The manual clearly states to unlock the differential as soon as you are unstuck... it is for emergencies only.
thanks.. makes a little more sense now.. and i thought it would be a little smoother.. but you made sense about when i was turning.. but i need to buy a new owners manual because im not sure if i misplaced it or they didnt give me one... but thanks again for all your guys help
Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to you... and be glad it works!