LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ultimate HID retrofit!!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Ultimate HID retrofit!!

06/20/10 UPDATE AT BOTTOM

well, finally started on my much anticipated FX-R retro with level motors...!! i know, i know, its going to take me awhile to finish them too, but i decided to document some stuff just in case you guys want to try it as well.

here is a link to the thread that gave me the idea to do this. all the electronic wiring is exactly the same, as i tested it today.

first off, ordered an OEM level switch from a 04-09 toyota sienna XLE version ONLY (as this is the only model that comes w/ HIDs from my understanding)! this switch (PN 84152-33030) will fit and matches our slots perfectly.

here are some pics of the level motor. dont know the PN, but its from 2003+ celicas w/ HID headlights, and most likely other toyota/lexus vehicles w/ HIDs as well.

here are some pics of the level motor completely retracted and completely extended. i get about 0.156" of travel. did some math, and even w/ my bed loaded w/ 1600#, i will still be able to level out my headlights!!

05/15/10 UPDATE
test fitted the motors today. here is a vid showing the reflector (and therefore the projector when mounted) moving ever so slightly. this movement will raise/lower the cutoff. vids of this can be found on youtube now, and i will post my actual one when completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaYiVVUPpQ

06/20/10 UPDATE
been busy doing retros for two other guys, so finally got to get back to this one...

the following series of shots is how i mounted the motors. i used that two part epoxy putty stuff to fill in and give a more solid mounting surface...enjoy! im aiming to finish this thing by next weekend as a i have a roadtrip to CO and it sure would be nice to have these lights installed before them....so check back often!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Mud Junkie
TaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Stephen
TaComatoseSR5's Tacoma Gallery
WOW! now thats kind of sweet
Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
I will be very interested in seeing out this turns out...I would like to know how the level motors are going to be mounted to the headlights
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Aww, I thought this would be a quad bixenon setup, but this is even better!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
cool, but almost seems like all that work for minimal gain.

Now you're going to have to hack up the plastic housing and mount this device. Run extra wires and shit. More things to go wrong..

To me, it would be easier to just use a screwdriver for about 30 secs if i had to adjust the elevation of the cutoff.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
cool, but almost seems like all that work for minimal gain.

Now you're going to have to hack up the plastic housing and mount this device. Run extra wires and shit. More things to go wrong..

To me, it would be easier to just use a screwdriver for about 30 secs if i had to adjust the elevation of the cutoff.
yea but your missing the entire point...how many 05+ tacos have a HID retrofit w/ a cockpit on the fly level switch.. i could adjust w/ a screwdriver, but i would not be able to achieve replication of my cutoffs.

what can i say, im an engineer, i live for geek stuff like this!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
krisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kris
krisjw101's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it will be awesome!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive, subscribed.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be watching this one as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! How about a group buy!! jk! This is going to be sweet! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #14

bump for update! going to start tearing apart my smoked 09+ lights tonight!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Ooh, very nice!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome! How'd you mount the motor? Got a pic?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
R.A.M.F (Rad Ass Mutha Fu$ka)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
OMFG! I just finished PM'ing you about my Retros. I thought I was all happy and excited until I opened this Bull Shit up. Thanks Jackass. Now you've got me drooling all over this shit. YOu've just got to tinker and be creative now. Fantastic.

Tell me kind sir, how much more is it to get the switch, the parts, and labor to step my Once Happy Retros up? Huh? Jerk.

Looks like I'll be looking into this now. You can never be just satisfied.

Note to self. Don't open up any threads that has to do with Lights & Yosh.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrayzian View Post
Note to self. Don't open up any threads that has to do with Lights & Yosh.

So how much for an upgrade, cough cough. Dang you Josh. Looks good and I'm still loving my retros, thanks again.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #19

^ what can i say ray, i aim to please. and most of my mods i dont mind doing for people for the right price for my time...but this ones for me and me alone! i can help out in any way i can for PNs, ideas, and pics, but my this is a therapeutic for me to handle all the crap that has been going on in my life...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
That's awesome! How'd you mount the motor? Got a pic?
i removed the lower screw mount, then enlarged it to 13/16, cut three notches for it to pass thru and turned. it was just a mock up on a busted set of egay lights to see if it would all work. now that it has, i'll get a nice, clean, and sturdy mounting of the motors and post some pics when i do.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #20
R.A.M.F (Rad Ass Mutha Fu$ka)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^Yep Ty. . .

I was going to tackle the Retros but as they sit all pretty in the original box. My dirt bike has taken so much of my time now. Learning to work on it, ride, and mod it has consumed me.

I even thought of selling my Retro kit to fund my Bike.

However, Yosh's work is amazing and I freaking need Spindles now.

I sit and dwell on yours, Amirs, & Yosh's Spindled Tacos. Then you and Yosh have Retros. . . AGGGGGGH.

Sometimes I had this forum as I would've never done so much to my truck. I'd be a happy normal stock Taco with a lot more $$$$ & time.