Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird issue

Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Weird issue

Hey guys, i had an issue happen to me last weekend at the Carolina Meet that i'd like some input on. we were all pulled over at the trail head to try to figure out where the hell we were. there were some oncoming jeeps, so i pulled over farther to get out of their way. on my right was a little incline, nothing major, but my right side was up probably less than a foot and at an angle. at that moment my brake started freaking out. it may have been the abs kicking in for some reason but i dont know. the brake pedal started pushing back against my foot and vibrating and making a horrible noise. the vehicle shook a little bit. it stopped after about 4 or 5 seconds. i got out and hodge thought i was just messing around cause he said my back tire was spinning. my foot was well away from teh gas and was on the brake only. why the hell would my tires spin and brakes freak out after being on a slight incline? i have been on much more drastic terrain. abs maybe? some other form of VSC? the engine had a mind of its own for a few seconds but i didnt lurch forward or anything.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Brake pedal vibration and weird sound; sounds like the ABS system to me. It goes off all the time when I wheel especailly we you are braking in loose dirt.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Hill start assist?? You didn't say if your nose was heading up an incline. I've had my ABS kick off sitting in my driveway. I had started to roll backward and the brakes kicked in and throttle applied on it's own to try and keep me from rolling backwards.

The other possibility is if you have VSC. Since one wheel was in the air MAYBE it thought something was slipping??? Usually though that requires real motion for the sensors to go off though.. probably just ABS or Hill Start.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
get a first gen tacoma and you wouldnt have to worry
Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like VSC to me. If Hodge said you had a wheel spinning, and there was any lateral shift to the truck. With VSC, the computer will control braking and throttle to a drive wheel if the computer suspects the vehicle is not going in its intended direction. Does the TRD Offroad even have VSC?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4RR View Post
Brake pedal vibration and weird sound; sounds like the ABS system to me. It goes off all the time when I wheel especailly we you are braking in loose dirt.
i was at a dead stop though

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4x4ar3 View Post
Hill start assist?? You didn't say if your nose was heading up an incline. I've had my ABS kick off sitting in my driveway. I had started to roll backward and the brakes kicked in and throttle applied on it's own to try and keep me from rolling backwards.

The other possibility is if you have VSC. Since one wheel was in the air MAYBE it thought something was slipping??? Usually though that requires real motion for the sensors to go off though.. probably just ABS or Hill Start.
i dont think i have hill start assist, i have an auto, or VSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Sounds like VSC to me. If Hodge said you had a wheel spinning, and there was any lateral shift to the truck. With VSC, the computer will control braking and throttle to a drive wheel if the computer suspects the vehicle is not going in its intended direction. Does the TRD Offroad even have VSC?
pretty sure i dont have VSC
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #7

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
i want one bad
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
LOL... He's got a point, Was always wanting a 1st Gen Tacoma since like 2000, But that Speedway Blue, and a little deployment money made the 2nd Gen irresistable...

By the way, your truck is sweet..
Old 04-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
yeah....i thought he was just dicking around b/c he pulled up on the hill and that back pass. tire was off the ground and spinning...it was some crazy looking shit though b/c i saw nate looking around like WTF!!!! haha
Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Where you locked?

My guess is that its your ABS. Some of the TTORA guys have made it so they can disable theirs.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel.... should get that tightened....

seriously though, that is EXACTLY why I have an ABS kill switch.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Hey guys, i had an issue happen to me last weekend at the Carolina Meet that i'd like some input on. we were all pulled over at the trail head to try to figure out where the hell we were. there were some oncoming jeeps, so i pulled over farther to get out of their way. on my right was a little incline, nothing major, but my right side was up probably less than a foot and at an angle. at that moment my brake started freaking out. it may have been the abs kicking in for some reason but i dont know. the brake pedal started pushing back against my foot and vibrating and making a horrible noise. the vehicle shook a little bit. it stopped after about 4 or 5 seconds. i got out and hodge thought i was just messing around cause he said my back tire was spinning. my foot was well away from teh gas and was on the brake only. why the hell would my tires spin and brakes freak out after being on a slight incline? i have been on much more drastic terrain. abs maybe? some other form of VSC? the engine had a mind of its own for a few seconds but i didnt lurch forward or anything.
I've had the exact same thing happen to me. I pulled over to let a couple of idoits through (much rather be behind them than in front) so I pulled up on just a little lip and it just freaked out... Didn't notice if the ABS light kicked on or not. It worried me for a second but then i remembered, I'm in a Tacoma, I'm Bulletproof =]
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #13

nd's Tacoma Gallery
no i wasnt locked, i wasn't even in 2 wheel drive, we were just on a dirt/gravel road. why would ABS apply power? i thought it just controlled braking but didnt actually increase power to any wheels. i have decided that the ABS in this truck is really F'ed up. i had a 1990 beamer with ABS and if you slammed on brakes all that happened was a couple tire chirps but no weird side effects. but in my truck, when you slam on brakes (i had to test it) the pedal actually pushes back and starts vibrating, the whole truck feels like its in an earthquake and it sounds like the whole truck is being pushed through a wood chipper. WTF! ABS has been around forever, how can toyota screw it up so bad? Whether this issue can be attributed to abs i dont know, but it's safe to say the ABS on this truck is all jacked up. i'd like to do the kill switch but i dont want to catch crap from my insurance company if i wreck and they inspect the truck and see that tha abs has been tampered with.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
TACOMAN22 will become famous soon enoughTACOMAN22 will become famous soon enough

TACOMAN22's Tacoma Gallery
i was stuck once in loose dirt sitting on the rear pumpkin with my wheels suspended and it did the same thing with only the back rear wheel.