1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best theft deterrent?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChaseUA, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I just got my Tacoma this past week and have installed the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT HU in it.

Now I am a little paranoid that someone will break into the vehicle to steal the HU. I've had two stereos stolen in the past and definitely don't want to hit the trifecta.

The first time I had one stolen I did not have an alarm, the second time I did and it did nothing to deter the theft.

What are the best methods to prevent this? I now wish I had found a HU with a removable face but its a little late for that now.

I've thought about getting one of the "Viper" security logos that light up and put in the back window so people think I have the alarm, but I really have little faith that the alarm itself will make much of a difference. Most thefts are "Smash and grabs" and take all of about 45 seconds for the thieves to grab what they want and get away.

Thoughts?

2. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
  3. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Train Horn alarm system, i live in a non-theft spot, but if i lived somewhere where it was likely to be broken into i would figure out to get a train horn for the alarm system. Not only will it scare the shit out of who ever is breaking into your truck but it will keep going and everybody around your truck will be able to hear it and will want to stop the noise, and its probably likely you can hear it too.

4. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4

The alarm I had last time was a Viper alarm with an incessant sound to it but it didn't stop them - I was in the movie theater and even though I had a two way remote it didnt alert me either because I was out of range (doubtful) or the walls/thickness of the building (my thought) which was apparently a couple of hours afteYeah, I've also thought about the "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker, haha, but then I thought that might actually encourage someone to try to break in even more in hopes that the gun would be in the vehicle!

5. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A smith and wesson decal on the back window wouldn't hurt. :)

6. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    I got super dark tint on all windows including my windshield, thats the best detterant I can think of, because they wont even be able to see you new deck, and thiefs dont like to break into cars they cant see into, even the cars around it. because someone might be inside. a windshield fold-out sunshade will also do the trick if you dont want super dark tint. A good alarm (around 400-500 dollars) with multiple shock sensors will definetely deter a would be theif. they start to chirp when someones just walking by, once the person touches any part of the car or windows the alarm starts blaring. you need to make sure your alarm comes with the shock sensors or its almost pointless, because it wont go off until the cars actually broken into. If you deck was installed properly with all the brackets it will take longer than a minute for a thief to steal it, because he will need to bend the steel brackets since he does not have the "deck keys" which are used to undo the bracket and slide the deck out.

7. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS

How would that deter them if you weren't anywhere nearby? That may help with carjackings and people with road rage but not some punk stealing your stereo.

8. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    I would think that they'd rather break into a car with the sun shade up because people passing by won't see them in there. Same with the dark tint.

9. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Or it could make them think there's a good chance there's a smith and wesson there for him/her to steal.

10. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  11. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it doesnt matter how nice of an alarm you put on your truck...or what kind of stickers

if a thief wants your shit...he's gonna get your shit

put some tint on the windows and dont leave your truck in high crime areas

the best way to deter a thief is to not give him the opportunity

12. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    Ha. I was thinking about this, when you made that post about you installing the head unit.

It's already been said before.. If they want it bad enough, they will more than likely do anything to get it.

edit: tiger beat me to it.

13. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    Totally false. If you were a thief would you rather walk up to a car that you can see has no one it and has things to steal you can clearly see. or a truck/car that may have someone in it (like a cop doing a stake out) that you might not get anything vaulable out of since you cant see if theres anything worth taking. To back up my theory, I'm a convicted car theif (when I was young and dumb) and I would never try and steal cars with dark tint for that reason. I would only target vehicles I knew I could steal or get something out of and im pretty sure a lot of criminals think like me.

14. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    A garage.

15. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    What tigerfan00 said. If they want your shit, they are going to get it.

16. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    but if they cant see your shit, how are they going to want it? thats impossible.

17. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Why don't you put a sign in the window stating that "This is a no stealing zone". The gun control people tell us that a similar sign will stop gun crime.

18. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    True, but if they see a nice truck they might just break in cause they think there might be nice stuff in there

19. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    xx2 locks will only keep out an honest thief.
    in my 99 i know that it is bolted in instead of the alternative. maybe ask whoever installs yours and see if thats an option.

20. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    tacovic

tacovic Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    you would have to get 5% tint all the way around, and tint the windshield to make your interior completely non visible. and if there are street lights you can still see in. i had 15% tint on my civic and that didnt stop those fockers from smashing my window and taking my shhit. i think on my truck im going to go with an alarm system with a glass break sensor, multiple shock sensors, and a relatively high sensativity. i think a loud alarm would stop the thieves because it draws alot of attnetion.

Products Discussed in

To Top