1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP, already scratching my truck (interior)...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChaseUA, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Well tonight was not a good night.. I started the install of my headunit on Thursday night (the night I bought the truck), today some of the last pieces arrived (IPod connector, steering wheel controls etc.). As I attempted to remove the housing kit from the dash one of the plastic pieces was caught in the dash so I had to pull with a little force. Apparently I over exerted the force and to make a long story short I ended up scratching both the black portion of the dash and a piece of the silver plastic that is the trim to the air condition vent.

Does anyone know a good match for touch-up paint and/or marker to try to minimize the eye sores that I've created?

Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    I used a black sharpie when I scratched my dash taking the passenger seat out. It's not as noticeable but it still pisses me off, I just try not to look at it!

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I got scratches in the back doors from storing snowboards and skis when we stop by to eat from trips since I don't have a way to secure them in the bed. I manged to get a couple of scratches in the dash too... not sure what from but very light.

2nd Gen is def scratch prone... I just accepted the fact that it's not going to stay mint condition forever.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the black part, I was thinking of using a dark grey sharpie or marker to color it (the scratch isn't very noticeable) so I'm not as worried about that.

About the trim that is around the air conditioning vents, does anyone know a good color (either marker or touch-up paint that can blend that in? Or the part # to order a replacement?

Thanks,

Chase

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
  6. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I have scratches all over my interior. Toyota uses cheap-ass plastic.

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    bryandb

bryandb Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    MO Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner V6
    Mine is 4 months old and the interior is scratched pretty bad in some places from hauling stuff in the cab. The plastic seems soft, maybe so it doesnt get brittle as fast as say a chevy and crack. I realize the fact its a TRUCK not a LAMBORGHINI.

8. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    ChaseUA

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    I guess I dont feel as bad after seeing I'm not the only one with this problem. It just sucks that it happened a few days after getting the truck. I wish someone know what color/type of marker/paint pen etc. would be a close match to try to make it not as noticable.

9. May 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    sch0enne

sch0enne Well-Known Member

Member:
    penticton British Columbia Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    bed lights, cobra 19 dx cb radio, flow pro muffler
    I work at a dealership and I had one f our interior guys touch up one of my big scratches on the grey plastic, it turned out flawless. I found a site that says they have a colour that matches the grey of our interiors. $100 bucks a can tho. Im gonna go for it and ill let you know if its worth it or not.

10. May 25, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    I resprayed the center console where the cup holder is on mine because it had a lot of scratches in it and the paint is almost an exact match, go figure. I believe it was the Krylon Fusion silver but I'll check it out in the morning to be sure.

11. May 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    you can gently heat scrtched plastic pieces and the scratches sometimes sort of dissappear. use a hairdryer or something similar. dont overheat it or the plastic will turn shiny and your screwed

Products Discussed in

To Top