1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver seat, Steering Wheel alignment

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mcgiiver, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    I had a '97 Tacoma , now an '09 and find I get backaches when driving because my seating position winds up turned slightly to my right. I am constantly correcting my position by shifting toward the center console. I am of the impression that the reason is that the steering wheel is not lined up with the centerline of the seat. Seems that the wheel is to the left of the seat centerline when in the seat. Both trucks seemed like this.

I stood outside the front of the truck and looked in the windshield and it seems the wheel is offset like an inch. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I imagining it?

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Does the steering column have a couple of bolts that secure it to the dash structure that you could loosen and slide it a bit to your liking like on the old old ones? ('82)

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    mcgiiver

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Don't know but I will check. I don't think the dash panels will allow it to slide more that about 1/8" in any case.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Oh, no. You must have one of those bent trucks! Better take it to the dealer and ask them to put the steering column back where it's supposed to be!

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I can honestly say I've never had this issue on any vehicle I've ever driven... which is quite a few. Honestly it's probably just the way you're sitting. I move my body way more than 1" side to side while driving just to shift positions leaning on the console or the window...

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    mcgiiver

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    I honestly have not looked at it very closely. I know Jeeps had issues years back where the pedals were shifted in relation to the steering wheel, caused a number of accidents where people hit the gas instaed of the brake. Many vehicles I have driven had the steering wheel on an angle, not parallel to the seat back or dashboard.

It might also be the deep bucket seat which causes me to be seated to the left of center.

Products Discussed in

To Top