Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driver seat, Steering Wheel alignment

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Driver seat, Steering Wheel alignment

I had a '97 Tacoma , now an '09 and find I get backaches when driving because my seating position winds up turned slightly to my right. I am constantly correcting my position by shifting toward the center console. I am of the impression that the reason is that the steering wheel is not lined up with the centerline of the seat. Seems that the wheel is to the left of the seat centerline when in the seat. Both trucks seemed like this.

I stood outside the front of the truck and looked in the windshield and it seems the wheel is offset like an inch. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I imagining it?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Does the steering column have a couple of bolts that secure it to the dash structure that you could loosen and slide it a bit to your liking like on the old old ones? ('82)
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Don't know but I will check. I don't think the dash panels will allow it to slide more that about 1/8" in any case.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, no. You must have one of those bent trucks! Better take it to the dealer and ask them to put the steering column back where it's supposed to be!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I can honestly say I've never had this issue on any vehicle I've ever driven... which is quite a few. Honestly it's probably just the way you're sitting. I move my body way more than 1" side to side while driving just to shift positions leaning on the console or the window...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
I honestly have not looked at it very closely. I know Jeeps had issues years back where the pedals were shifted in relation to the steering wheel, caused a number of accidents where people hit the gas instaed of the brake. Many vehicles I have driven had the steering wheel on an angle, not parallel to the seat back or dashboard.

It might also be the deep bucket seat which causes me to be seated to the left of center.