1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powered Pop N Lock vulnerability?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dpascual1986, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 at 2:24 AM
    dpascual1986

dpascual1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ive been looking at the wiring of the powered POP N LOCK and it seems like someone with a 9-volt battery can go under the driver door grab the two wires from the pop and lock and open all doors including the tailgate. Owners of Powered pop and locks please let me know if you have a solution for this problem....

2. Apr 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Did you prove this? Cars work off 12v and not a toy alkaline battery. You think a 9v wired along with 2 AA batteries will start a car? Although applying car 12V to the wires? Another electrically inclined TW member could answer that one. I think having a good alarm system would ease your concern. Good question..

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    What theif would actually take the time to figure this out, in the off chance that he finds the 1 in 500 tacomas that actually have a powered tailgate lock?

If someone wants in, they will get in, one way or another.

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    dpascual1986

dpascual1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    a 9-volt battery can sufficiently open at least one of the actuators... I can prove this although it may not have enough current to open all four. Now if the dude had a portable jump start device, he can open all four with current to spare - those two wires that are exposed under the driver side of the car operate on a simple negative-positive circuit and by wiring it to the blue-black and blue-red wires, access to these two wires WILL open all doors and the tailgate.

A good alarm would not really help once they open the truck, they can grab my valuables, and split. I was just wondering if someone has done something about this, I can wire a relay that only allows one way transmission of power so that putting a power source to these wires will only open the tailgate and not the rest of the truck.

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have not done the tailgate lock on mine yet, but plan to wire relays to isolate the tailgate from the rest of the truck.

There are wiring diagrams online that show how to wire lock actuators from scratch. Just tap into twelve volt power under the dash and use your factory locks to trigger the relays.

Probably faster for a thief to smash a window though.:rolleyes:

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    get the mechanical one?

Products Discussed in

To Top