1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Cylinder versus V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfponto, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Oct 28, 2006 at 8:17 PM
    surfponto

surfponto [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    Not sure myself. Will have to pull out the owner's manual.
    Just posted some pics of it on Google. Problem now is that my wife thinks it is her truck !! :mad:

[​IMG]
    She actually wants to put a lift on it which really blows me away. May have a hard time getting the keys from her.

2. Oct 29, 2006 at 4:00 PM
    yorgor

yorgor Member

Member:
    If you want milage, buy a VW jetta diesel. I have the little V6 and love it, but then I could care less about milage, I want the extra zip. :p

3. Oct 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Actually the V6 has a chain - 3 of them... Sorry. This engine has been out since 2003 and has been chain the whole time.

4. Oct 29, 2006 at 6:45 PM
    yorgor

yorgor Member

Member:
    That's really interesting, I wonder if my 99 can be converted from a belt to a chain.

5. Oct 29, 2006 at 7:08 PM
    archer of loaf

Member:
    From my limited car knowledge I would say no. From what I read timing chains run "wet" and the belts run dry with no oil on them. So in short there is nothing that can be done. Just remember to change it when needed. A timing chain is very costly to change toyota quoted me around $1000 Canadian for a 22RE timing chain... so much! lol.

If there is something we can all agree on V6 Vs. I4 - timing belts suck!

6. Oct 29, 2006 at 7:26 PM
    yorgor

yorgor Member

Member:
    That's not all necessarily true as I know of add on oiler kits that are available, and as far as $1000.00 that is not a big bucks deal if that was to have it done. I spent more than half that to upgrade my exhaust to a Gibson HP SS. And that was with me doing all the work. If it's workable, I'll buy the parts and do it myself. :cool:

7. Oct 30, 2006 at 9:36 AM
    surfponto

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Hi. Found this link because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the timing belt versus timing chain.

http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/make/toyota/belt.htm

Tacoma 1995-2003 4 Cylinder Chain

Tacoma 1995-2003 V6 Belt

Not sure this answers the question because weren't there two different 4 cylinder engines offered on the older Tacos?

Bob

8. Oct 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I've done a bit of searching and found that the 1GR-FE (4.0 Liter V-6) does indeed use a timing chain.

Toyota Engine's

And yes there are two different Inline 4 cylinder engines in the pre 2005 Tacoma. 2.4 Liter 2RZ and the 2.7 Liter 3RZ

9. Oct 30, 2006 at 11:02 AM
    surfponto

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Great link. Thanks Banshee.

That V-6 is the same one Toyota is putting in the FJ Cruiser also.

10. Oct 30, 2006 at 11:06 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Exact same engine. I had the opportunity to educate a rep from ARB with it to. We were out at a FJ Trail Team play day and the rep for ARB was showing off the ARB FJ and I noticed a little air compressor on top of the passenger side wheel well and said "that little compressor would fit in my rig" and his response was "no it won't" My response "sure it will, same engine in the 2005+ Tacoma's" So I had to show him, kinda funny that he didn't know.

11. Oct 30, 2006 at 1:55 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    there were 2 different 4 cylinder engines: the 2rz = 2.4l and 3rz = 2.7l.
    i know lc engineering sells a timing belt conversion for the 3rz to swap from chain to belt.

12. Oct 30, 2006 at 5:25 PM
    archer of loaf

Member:
    Some good info there - thanks to all for the great belt/chain debate! lol... the V6 is also used in the 4runner since 2003.

13. Oct 31, 2006 at 8:04 AM
    surfponto

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Good point. We also have a FJ Cruiser with the V6.
    Way more "zip" then our 4-cylinder Taco.

The only way I was able to convince my wife that we needed another 4x4 was the gas mileage argument. :D

14. Oct 20, 2007 at 7:33 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I had the same issue when I was about to pull the trigger, I asked everyone and ultimately got the V-6 ( I found the truck on e-bay and got a really good deal ), but if you can get a better deal with the I-4 do not hesitate. I could easily be happy with the 4 because I don't intend to plow snow or tow a trailer at highway speeds. Remember Toyota made it's name and became the largest auto-maker in the world because of the I-4. It's not about power, it's about torque, among other things like dependability, and low maintanance cost. Watch the news when coverage is in Africa, Australia, South America, they are all driving 4 cyls. If my memory serves me the 4 has around 190hp, the 6 has 236hp, they both have 4.10 final drive ratios, you will have all that you need plus a lower truck payment.

15. Oct 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM
    gegundez

gegundez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Prerunner Dcab
    Overpriced stereo and alarm. MBRP Dual Exhaust.
    I went for the V6 due to JOB and PLEASURE issues (Motorcycle and Boat hauling). I also like the FUN factor (tire smoking and mudding).:D
    I just went on a 1500 mile trip last week and got 20mpg with the cruise control at 70mph the whole way. I am not sure what I have to do to get the 22mpg that Toyota claims because prior to the trip I had changed the oil to full synthetic, the air filter and added 10% more air to the tires @ 32psi cold.:confused: It is really strange since I also get 18mpg in city stop and go driving. :confused:
    BTW I used the factory 17" wheels/tires for the trip.

16. Oct 21, 2007 at 2:09 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    It seems to me there is really no comparison. I have the 4 cylinder for many reasons, some stated on the original post and some others. But I also think the 6 cylinder engine on the Tacoma is great too. Having driven them a lot I think they offer some nice power.

I own 2 Dodge Vipers. So the guy above who said if you want great mileage just get a Jetta I am the opposite. For me great mileage is the Toyota 4 cyl and it is a pickup truck which I needed. I already have plenty of power with each Viper at 510hp and 0-60 in 4 seconds.

So, I think the comparison of the engines is all about what you require. As far as the belts go: that wasn't a factor for me. My Nissan truck had no timing chain nor belt at all.

17. Oct 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM
    Chiniak

Chiniak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 4 cyl
    I have a 95 4x4 4 banger w/187,000 miles, mostly gravel road on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Pretty tough duty. It is also my tractor for pulling stumps, hauling loads, pulling my boat. I leave the hubs engaged as I use 4WD to get up my steep driveway. I am looking for a new one and hope that the added weight won' make me wish for a v6. We have no interstate to mege into traffic, so acceleration is really no big deal to me. I have always been able to gear down (sometimes low range 4wd if needed). I might have a hard time finding an access cab 4cyl 4x4 in Anchorage. Wouldn't mind a newer used truck.

18. Oct 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    surfponto

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Welcome to TW :D

True.
    When we went to buy ours thru CarsDirect there was basically one available in California. Luckily it was at a dealer close to home.

In SoCal the Pre-Runners and the V6s are very popular but the I-4 4x4 Access Cabs are pretty rare.

19. Oct 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Viper-2: So thats where you got you're name, i was wondering about that. Anyway, why the hell would anyone need TWO vipers? You got one and said, " you know what i need? another viper!" Seriously it's really pointless for you to have two of them. Why dont you let me borrow one for a while?

20. Oct 22, 2007 at 12:20 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

My understanding is that they are hard to find anywhere (none where I live). :(

Products Discussed in

To Top