1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission Downshifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dingchavez24, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I never let it get to that point anymore, but I assume you've noticed if you let the drive train slow you down to that point, the computer automatically gives the engine some throttle to keep the truck moving?

That little feature kind of pissed me off when I first got the truck. A couple times I'd be coming to a stop, leaving the truck in gear. I really wasn't that close to the lower limit for whatever gear I was in, and suddenly the truck automatically throttled up and I moved forward faster unexpectedly. I told a Toyota tech about it when I took it back to complain about that and the RPMs hanging up. He never realized they did that. He noticed it though, and agreed it was annoying.

2. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    As said, below 3rd the gears are too low. I just ride 3rd as low as it will go and then coast. I would rather replace the brake pads...

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    This is exactly how I do it.

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Peted

Peted Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    All you guys who are not downshifting live in flat country?

Just asking, I find that not using your engine for slowing down is rather peculiar. In fact, have never thought about not downshifting until reading this thread. I've also found that this constantly riding the brakes with automatics is the most annoying thing about them.

But then I've only moved to the flat lands a few years back so not downshifting may make some sense here - live and learn.

Peter

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'm a flat lander. when driving in the mountains, i use the engine quite a bit more.

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    I manage to rev match most of the times. Sometimes it's not perfect, but wayagonado.

From third to second i noticed the difference is 500rpm. So just bump it up there. Rest of the other gears are pretty easy to match. But i don't down downshift for red light or stops, mostly i do it when i get off freeway. I sometimes do third to second for stops, but rarely.

When i over rev by mistake i cringe and it makes me cry :( I hate when i do that. Thankfully, i can count on one hand how many times i did it in one year.

7. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I usually double clutch down shift running around locally. I'll typically only do it from 6th to 4th which seems to give me the best engine braking - slowing from about 85km/h. If you rev match properly there is zero problem with it. I've been around the trucking industry my whole life and know how to shift, if you don't understand the technique then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

8. Apr 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    couldn't help myself

9. Apr 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    Noticed that too. By 'about to stall' I suppose I meant 'about to let holier than thou ECM take over and keep me from killing the motor':D

But yeah, that is about the time I take it out of gear when not hauling/towing.

10. Apr 8, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Coming down the mountains, I generally leave it in 3rd because it is switchbacks the whole way. But near my house, it is generally flat so I do not downshift. It just doesn't make sense to put the extra strain on the drive train just to save the pads and rotors. These trucks aren't even that heavy so the brakes don't take much abuse.

11. Apr 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Hard to get it right due to the way the revs hang up when clutch is pushed in. I figure the automatics have to use the brakes to stop so just using the brakes on the manual works OK. Sometimes I will gear down to help slow down (usually when towing my boat because of the weak brakes) and will work the reduction going down thru 2000 rpm to 1500 rpm then catch a lower gear which seems to work well. I always try to shift between 1500 to 2000 rpm for better gas mileage and when I just take my time and let the truck build speed with slower more deliberate shifts it works just fine. The truck kind of grows on you after a while. I hated it at first because the shifting just did not seem right.

12. Apr 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    Peted

Peted Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peted [​IMG]
    All you guys who are not downshifting live in flat country?

Just asking, I find that not using your engine for slowing down is rather peculiar. In fact, have never thought about not downshifting until reading this thread. I've also found that this constantly riding the brakes with automatics is the most annoying thing about them.

But then I've only moved to the flat lands a few years back so not downshifting may make some sense here - live and learn.

Peter griffin

What's up with that? Getting personal?
    You got anything to useful to add to this discussion or what?

Peter

Products Discussed in

To Top