Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What PSI

Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
What PSI

Curious as to the PSI everyone is running their tires at for best MPG's. Mine currently are at 38lbs..
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFD10 View Post
Curious as to the PSI everyone is running their tires at for best MPG's. Mine currently are at 38lbs..
With the BFG Rugged Trails I ran about 33PSI for daily driving and 35PSI for extended highway.

It depends on the tire and what load rating they are, and what load (if any) you have in the truck normally.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
They say you can inflate to somethin like 60psi cold. Not sure on the rating. They are 285/75/16 Big O Big foot AT's
Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I run what the truck says on the sticker. 32 front and 35 rear or something like that.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFD10 View Post
They say you can inflate to somethin like 60psi cold. Not sure on the rating. They are 285/75/16 Big O Big foot AT's
In that case you'll probably want to be in the 40-50psi range. 60PSI is for full size trucks under load. If they are an 'E load' tire they'll be stiffer and you might even want to run them in the 35psi range. Look around your tire: it should say 'D load' or 'E load' or if there is a 'P' before the tire size 'P285...' this will help us help you.

If you really want to be accurate search/google 'tire chalk test', it's the best way to see what your ideal psi is for the weight of your truck.

You can alway run them at a higher psi to save gas but you'll lose in the end when your tires wear out early.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i like 40 up front and 38 in the back.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery
my sticker on my 09 dc lb says 29 front and 29 rear for 265/65/17
that is what i use.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^It would differ with aftermarket tires, though.

The best method is the chalk line method. Draw a chalk line width wise across the tire, drive a couple hundred feet, and see where it is worn off.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Always learn something on TW. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^It would differ with aftermarket tires, though.

The best method is the chalk line method. Draw a chalk line width wise across the tire, drive a couple hundred feet, and see where it is worn off.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I run 40 PSI front and rear on my 285/70-17 Grizzly MTs
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
29 PSI here
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I run 35 front 30 rear. This seemed to be the best after I did the chalk line test on my 265-70-17 Duratracs. I have it set up alittle more firm than the chalk line told me so I can get slightly better mileage on trips.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
32 psi at all four wheels with stock tires. Even tire wear and good mileage at 17,000 miles. I rotate every 5000 miles.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
32 PSI front & back with 265/75/R16 tires. They all seem to be wearing evenly but I will still like to do the chalk line test if I could remember to do it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I run about ~34 PSI all around on my 285/75/16 KM2s. My best tank was around 18.47 MPGs.