1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible repair kit for Throw-out Bearing on the 6 speed manual ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 71roadrunner, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apr 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    71roadrunner

71roadrunner [OP] Active Member

Member:

I'm trying to generate some numbers on the throw-out bearing trouble being experienced with the 6 speed manual transmission . It is the same tranny on the FJ (RA61F on the FJ's) and the same trouble. I've contacted these guys:

http://www.pdmtsk.com/home.html

......and would like to show them some numbers of interested owners.

I have a poll on the FJ Forum:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...out-bearing-trouble-6-speeds.html#post1638314

Please take a moment to vote (even if you've never had a problem with your T/O bearing).

2. Apr 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    You should make a poll on this thread. We can't vote on the FJ forum unless we're members of the site.

I would be interested. I think I hear a slight chirp with a little pressure on the clutch pedal. It would be a good preventive step.

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Suscribed.

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Black
    Very interested in this - just changed mine 1 week ago and it is making noise again...at least Toyota will need to cover the parts and labour to "fix it".

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    All about this.

6. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    08'Taco.DC,SR5.TRD. Off Road,Manual 6Spd.
    3 inch lift Rev Tek Bilstien shocks .Westin crome side nerf bars (steps) Toyo 285-16" , HID High/Low 4300k ,yellow fogs 3000k, Lear cap 100 XQ , Thule Tracker 2 roof rack , Bed Rug bed liner ....
    I just purchased my 2008 trd dc 4x4 with 23,000 and now have 25,000 no problems , but I'm interested in this kit if the problem is going to come up and haunt me also ..... looked at this web site u posted and looks like it makes sence to me , can this kit be purchaced??? or does it have to be made .............

7. May 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    71roadrunner

Member:
    Over the past couple of weeks there have been a couple of developments regarding the TO Bearing issue.

More info here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-bearing-trouble-6-speeds-3.html#post1652888.

It appears that one of the FJ owners has had a new bell housing installed which contains a steel pivot point for the release arm (the pivot was originally made of aluminum). His dealer claims the soft pivot point was the source of the trouble.

UPDATE : Since this was written, we have found this to be totally NOT true. So evidently this svce mngr was BS'g this guys brains out the back of his head.

Also, PDM does now have a kit available for the FJ and should be the same for the Taco. It replaces Toyota part #31230-60240. You can verify it with your dealer. Call & give them your VIN & ask for the part number.
    The kits should be available early next week. The costs will be $195 plus S&H of $9 for ground, $18 for 2nd day, & $40 for overnight.

Also, does anyone know a service tech for a Toyota dealership who could help us out on this issue ? If there is indeed a new bell housing (with a steel pivot point instead of the aluminum) we really need to know this before anybody has any more work done on their truck.

8. Aug 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    71roadrunner

Member:
  9. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    catsgot9

catsgot9 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    KC MO.
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    I replaced my stock TO bearing with the PDM kit and a URD stage 2 clutch kit at 59k. Works great, no more little bird chirping in my tranny. Clutch feels alot lighter also. Shifts much easier. Def recommend it.

10. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Is it possible to install yourself? i am assuming you need to drop the tranny. My friend is going to check the kit out.
    Any updates on Toyota's end? I know they are aware of the issue. It's probably why they deleted most 6 speeds from 2011 line-up.

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

How long had yours been chirping? Did you see any significant wear on the clutch pressure plate "fingers"? I have yet to hear anyone say that theirs actually came apart. Just wondering what happens if you ignore it too long.

12. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    catsgot9

catsgot9 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    KC MO.
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    Mine started at about 56k. The pressure plate did show some wear, the flywheel had about 6 "burn" spots on it from slipping. I think the previous owner kept their foot on the pedal alot. The clutch had way to much wear in my opinion for only having 59k on it. As far as one coming apart I have not heard of that. The chirping gets worse the longer you wait, if you dont mind the little bird effect I think you will be ok.

13. Sep 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...

I can't stand that mothafada chirping bird noise crap. I have just ordered the PDM kit and will call the dealer who at the moment has all my rear suspension parts along with the new clutch, t/o bearing and else awaiting to be replaced. I will politely ask them to install the PDM and when done will tell them to shove the new clutch and parts up their culo. They know this is an issue and still play games with me. They think that by replacing all that crap with new parts will fix the issue, better think again. If I want to play games, I go to the gentlemen's club for that.

I will keep the forum updated as I get this done. I will also get some fotos for you guys to see. My annoyance has been on for about 4k miles. Truck is still new with only 31k miles and I am stock and don't do any off road.

Extremely disappointed with Toyota.

Products Discussed in

To Top