Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone hauling a canoe with OEM roof rack?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Orion is on a distinguished road
Orion's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone hauling a canoe with OEM roof rack?

First, what the heck does OEM stand for??

I have a 2009 4 door tacoma trd sport short bed that needs a roof rack for canoe hauling. I have read the thread about racks and still can't make a decision. The OEM is financially a better fit for me but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I will likely use the rack for a canoe and maybe lumber etc... but certainly not everyday....

Any suggestion or better yet pictures of a canoe set up???

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
OEM...Original Equipment Manufacture(er?)

Sorry, I can't help with the rack though. I was looking for similar ideas for a kayak.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
How about a rack that mounts to the bed rails like the Yakima Outdoorsman or Thule Xporter
Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I got the OEM just for the purpose of hauling my canoe. I never got a chance to install it and use it yet though. It looks like a solid rack and the fact that I can put all my gear in the bed of my truck while the canoe is on the roof. I like how it installs on the truck instead of just clipping on the roof.

I'll have pics when I eventually get around to installing it.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a good link from another site
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...=296455&page=3 .

Page 3 has a picture of a guy hauling a 19ft canoe using the OEM rack with no issues at all
Old 04-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Orion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
I got the OEM just for the purpose of hauling my canoe. I never got a chance to install it and use it yet though. It looks like a solid rack and the fact that I can put all my gear in the bed of my truck while the canoe is on the roof. I like how it installs on the truck instead of just clipping on the roof.

I'll have pics when I eventually get around to installing it.
I would like to see it... why don't you install it today......lol

Are you concerned at all about the 75 pound limit rating on the OEM rack?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #7

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
It's too cold today, lol. My little boy got a skating party today. I like to take my time at this stuff

Not concerned at all. The instructions actually say 100lb limit I believe. I think the 75lb rating was a misprint or something they did earlier
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #8

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'll probably get one of these to go with the rack http://www.a1-autoracks.com/thule-997-goal-post.html

Should be good for hauling lumber too
Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Orion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
It's too cold today, lol. My little boy got a skating party today. I like to take my time at this stuff

Not concerned at all. The instructions actually say 100lb limit I believe. I think the 75lb rating was a misprint or something they did earlier
LOL

Where did you get yours?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #10

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
It was a Christmas present. My better half got it from the dealership