Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is good Idea to upgrade my stock shock SR5 DC to stock TRD shock?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
mytacoma
tquang will become famous soon enough
Name: mytacoma
tquang's Tacoma Gallery
Is good Idea to upgrade my stock shock SR5 DC to stock TRD shock?

Should I upgrade my stock SR5 DC to stock TRD shock for my 2010 DC-LB SR5 Prerunning. I don't go off road. But I want better ride. and sometime carry heavy load. Any advice wellcome.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
I would just get some Bilstein 5100s. If you're willing to change them, why not just go ahead and get the 5100s? I've heard they're a lot better than the TRD ones for ride quality.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
klowie is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
klowie's Tacoma Gallery
x3 5100's - can get them for the same price or maybe even cheaper????(Downsouth Motorsports) and the ride is crazy good
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
kenstar is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Ken
kenstar's Tacoma Gallery
actually if you have a pre runner you might wanna look at the rear leaf tsb. and if you qualify you get the shocks for free.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^X2
Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
mytacoma
tquang's Tacoma Gallery
I did STB on my truck already. but friend of my want to sell all his stock 2010 TRD for $150 including the coils. So I was thinking buy it and put on my truck. Is it a good deal or not? Do anyone know the pice is difference stock TRD shock and 5100 shock. Can I do DIY? any advice? Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquang View Post
I did STB on my truck already. but friend of my want to sell all his stock 2010 TRD for $150 including the coils. So I was thinking buy it and put on my truck. Is it a good deal or not? Do anyone know the pice is difference stock TRD shock and 5100 shock. Can I do DIY? any advice? Thanks
If you did TSB thn you have trd suspension.. Are your shocks yellow with blue ?
When Toyota did TSB on mine they installed TRD suspension.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Loiman20 is on a distinguished road
Loiman20's Tacoma Gallery
would these be ok to stack on 2 inch leveling kit? if so im getting some!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Get something other than the Toyota Bilsteins. they aren't that great. I'm not sold on the 5100's either, but real Bilsteins, are better than the toyota bilsteins.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
tiger955 will become famous soon enough
tiger955's Tacoma Gallery
FYI... I bought a base model 05 AC last spring that was all stock. I thought the suspension felt pretty soft and mushy, and I found a set of like new TRD shocks on ebay for $100. They didn't come with springs but I work in a shop and have the proper tools so no big deal, it would be a PITA to do at home without a good sturdy spring compressor.
The difference in the ride was huge, much firmer and steadier on the road, but still a good ride on the highway. Most of my off-roading is dirt roads in the hills, with the occasional washout, I don't really do any serious wheeling. My truck works good for what I do, but could stand to be stiffer if I was doing any more serious high speed desert running.
I think you would be happy with them for your uses, and the price sounds good.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
mytacoma
tquang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
If you did TSB thn you have trd suspension.. Are your shocks yellow with blue ?
When Toyota did TSB on mine they installed TRD suspension.

My truck is SR5 DC, LB not TRD so when Dealer do TSB they only upgrade the rear spring not the shock, my shock on my truck is black.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^You're the third guy to mention that on this forum, I guess they made a few changes to the TSB. If thats the case then yes, I would upgrade to the TRD shocks, forget the coils though. The PreRunner SR5s and the TRD Sport have the same linear coil springs. BTW I did the upgrade.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #14

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^The TRD Bilsteins are built to Toyota specs, Bilstein's HDs are built to Bilstein's specs.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #15
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
actually if you have a pre runner you might wanna look at the rear leaf tsb. and if you qualify you get the shocks for free.
No TRD Bilsteins for '09 and '10 model years per the TSB unless the dealer makes a mistake when ordering parts. In fact, no shock change out but supposedly they did on mine and others have reported the same as well.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
If the coils are already mounted on the TRD shocks then $150 is not a bad deal since you'll be able to just swap the stock coil/shock with the TRD coil/shock without having to have a shop put the TRDs into the coil, or buy/rent a compressor and attempt it yourself.

I had the TSB done to my 09 SR5 (no shock upgrade allowed, they ordered them, then read the TSB and wouldn't install 'em...), then went with the 5100s instead of a TRD upgrade so that I could restore the stock rake. The TSB added enough height to the rear that I noticed it, and I wanted to set it back, so the 5100s at .85 front lift did that.

FYI, one thing I noticed with the 09+ SR5 shocks and the TSB rear springs, was that the ride felt "uneven". The front was still a bit soft, and the rear was stiffened up. It just felt wierd to me. The 5100s fixed that. Whether or not the TRDs would have done the same,,, don't know.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiman20 View Post
would these be ok to stack on 2 inch leveling kit? if so im getting some!

No, you can level the truck WITH the 5100's alone. They are adjustable.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
No TRD Bilsteins for '09 and '10 model years per the TSB unless the dealer makes a mistake when ordering parts. In fact, no shock change out but supposedly they did on mine and others have reported the same as well.
This was the case on my '10. If others got the shocks then good for them, but my dealer was quick to point out they are not included for the '09 and '10 models per the TSB.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #19
Loiman20 is on a distinguished road
Loiman20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
No, you can level the truck WITH the 5100's alone. They are adjustable.
Ok thanks! So I should remove my leveling kit it I wanna do the shocks correct?