Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to place jack and jack stands under truck?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Where to place jack and jack stands under truck?

I needed to jack up the truck to rotate my tires. I needed to lift the suspension off the ground so lifting with the frame was out (would only flex the suspension).

Ideally, I wanted to lift all 4 tires off the ground but only have 2 stands and 1 jack. I suppose it's not safe to remove 4 tires when it's sitting on a tripod like that. Anyway, where should I place the stands and the jack?

I tried reading the book but it's not exactly clear. Here is where I put everything (right or wrong):

To lift front passenger:

To lift front driver:
*ignore the jack stand - it's only there as a safety precaution if the jack fell

Placement of jack to lift rear driver:

Another angle

Jack stand under rear drivers:

How is all of my placement?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
I never lift the front like that. The control arms are just to unpredictable with the metal to metal and angles. I always use a 12" long 4x4 piece of wood on the jack and then lift from the crossmember. Then place jack stands under the frame rails right in front of the body mounts where the frame rail is boxed and wide right there.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
I always jack up the rear first (use the center of the rear-end) and place jack stands on each side of the rear end.
Then let the jack down and go to the front, there is a place made to put the jack in the front, center of the truck and jack until both tires are off the ground.

A larger floor jack with make it much easier on you.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
You damn well better answer this thread!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
I'll chime in a bit later. Busy this morning, and I'd really like to have some pictures to post for illustration purposes.

FYI for the OP, I always place the jackstands under the frame. Suspension stuff breaks. Often.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Did you look in the owners manual? There should be diagrams in there to show you where to jack from.

Never jack up on the axle tubes, you could 'bend' the tube. Jack from underneath the differential housing at its lowest point.

You don't want to jack from underneath the a-arm either. You're putting all the weight up againest the joint/bearing/bushing.

For your reference, here's some information out of a 2005+ Tacoma service manual.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...06ta/00100.pdf
Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i always use the frame for jacking and jack stands. i've seen people use the pumpkin, but i don't that.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I always jack the rear up first with the jack placed right in the center of the diff. Then place jackstands on either side in the same place you did right where the leaf springs attach. For the front, I place the jack in the middle of the crossmember/subframe, jack it up there, and put the jackstands on either side of it, and leave the jack with a little tension on it distributing the weight across the jackstands and the jack.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
I actually thought about just PM'ing him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Did you look in the owners manual? There should be diagrams in there to show you where to jack from.

Never jack up on the axle tubes, you could 'bend' the tube. Jack from underneath the differential housing at its lowest point.

You don't want to jack from underneath the a-arm either. You're putting all the weight up againest the joint/bearing/bushing.

For your reference, here's some information out of a 2005+ Tacoma service manual.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...06ta/00100.pdf
I did read the owners manual. And I appreciate Toyota putting so much detail in those pictures . Maybe I just don't know how to read them...
Anyway, I could not figure out where to jack in the front.

And I also thought about jacking from under the diff housing but wasn't sure. That would've been the easiest place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
i always use the frame for jacking and jack stands. i've seen people use the pumpkin, but i don't that.
I don't think my jack is long enough to out flex my suspension. If I jack the frame, it'll take forever to get the wheel off the ground. I also didn't think it was a good idea to fully extend my suspension like that.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I don't think my jack is long enough to out flex my suspension. If I jack the frame, it'll take forever to get the wheel off the ground. I also didn't think it was a good idea to fully extend my suspension like that.
Keep blocks of wood around to make up for the short jack. Just make absolutely sure everything is lined up and that the weight of the truck is directly over the jack.

Also, full droop shouldn't hurt any of the components, especially when the truck is not in motion.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
The jack location in the first pic under the control arm is essentially letting the suspension flex as you jack it up. Exactly what you said you didn't want to do. This is also a little more hairy seeing as the point where you are jacking from will be moving around as you go up...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
That's a horrible place for the front jack stands. I once started to jack my truck up with the bottle jack under the control arm in the same spot. Jack was going up but truck wasn't. I was just bending the metal in the control arm, it's very soft right there.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Thats good to know because I always jacked my truck up from the same location as the o.p. (well even towards the front tires more), not right under bushing) at least twice a year to change summer and winter tires. Learn something new everyday
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribing
Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) USS La Jolla (SSN 701) Veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Is this real?

Subscribing.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
I jack by the frame close to the body mounts. I have hilift jackstands that allow me to go full suspension droop and still have the tires off the ground. I use wood under my bottle jack to give me the lift I need and unscrew the top to raise it.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just do one side at a time? Tires go front to back for rotation so just jack up the back of the truck by the diffy (pumpkin), place a jackstand under the rear axel between the u-bolt and the tire, lower the truck onto the jack stand. Then jack up the front of the truck by the frame rail... wash, rince, repeat.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
Why not just do one side at a time? Tires go front to back for rotation so just jack up the back of the truck by the diffy (pumpkin), place a jackstand under the rear axel between the u-bolt and the tire, lower the truck onto the jack stand. Then jack up the front of the truck by the frame rail... wash, rince, repeat.
Exactly what I do...atleast I think.

I jack up the rear diff and I put jackstands on both sides to hold the entire rear axle up. I leave the rear axle up the whole time while I move from side to side to lift the fronts. And, I always chock the front wheel that is on the ground.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #20
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Exactly what I do...atleast I think.

I jack up the rear diff and I put jackstands on both sides to hold the entire rear axle up. I leave the rear axle up the whole time while I move from side to side to lift the fronts. And, I always chock the front wheel that is on the ground.
That's how I'll do it next time. Stands in the rear and the individual fronts (using the choke).

I just need some clarification on where to place the jack up front. I suppose I'll put it on the frame with a block and lift till it droops enough to lift the tire off the ground.