Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

All Pro IFS Skid Plate Install Guide (lots of pics)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
All Pro IFS Skid Plate Install Guide (lots of pics)

AllPro makes a great skid IMO, but they don't send any directions. You can figure it out pretty easily, but there's a few things that are nice to know up front. Also, you can access the oil drain plug with this skid without removing it. I'm doing this write-up on my 2008 TRD Off-Road Pre-Runner after doing an install on a 2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4.

Link to the product: 2005+ Tacoma IFS Skid Plates (allprooffroad.com)
Spec: 7G Steel (3/16" or 0.1875" thick)

Before you install:
People needed: 1 person, 2 recommended
Estimated time: 20-30 minutes if alone
Hardware Included: IFS Skid. You will re-use your stock bolts
If you have a front diff drop: You will need to space it down with washers. (I will get the correct sizes next time I'm at the hardware store)
Notes:
  • If you are installing the All Pro front bumper as well, please install the IFS Skid first. Removing the old one and bars is a lot easier if you do it first. The bumper will not fit with the stock skid plate unless you modify it first anyway, and the directions did not specify this.
  • If you are not installing the front bumper, you can leave the TRD extra "C" type recovery point. If you are installing, it interferes with the bumper.

Gather required tools:

• 12mm socket (3/8" or 1/4" drive)
  • 17mm socket (1/4" drive)
  • 3" extension (3/8" and 1/4" or just 1/4")
  • Ratchet (3/8" and 1/4" or just 1/4")
  • Jack
  • Safety Glasses (especially if you wheel, always a good idea regardless)
Procedure:

Remove front skid

Remove front two bolts (12mm)

Remove center 2 bolts (12mm)

Remove rear 2 bolts (12mm)

Remove skid supports

All bolts are 17mm, Pass side has 3 bolts (two toward back, one front). Driver side has 4 bolts (two front, two back).

Prep skid for install.

Bent up portion goes toward front.

Required bolts for IFS skid install:
  • 4x 17mm (front 2, middle 2)
  • 2x 12mm (rear 2)
  • Optional (dropped front diff) x# washers of x size. (will update when I get the proper sizes).

Install locations:

Install skid.

At this point it helps to have a buddy assist in keeping it stable and with the alignment, but you can do it alone. Install the 4 corner bolts first, then the middle two. As with any install, always keep the bolts loose to wiggle for alignment until all are in, then tighten down (hand tight to estimated 40ft-lbs) in a star-like pattern. I used a jack position near here:

You're Done!

Note, the TRD recovery point clears just fine with this skid and stock bumper:

I decided to test out the new skid... the jack didn't go high enough on it's own to completely pull the tires up, but I'd venture to safely say about 90% or more of the weight was on the jack. Note, wheels were chocked and e-brake on!

Result: No no flex in the skid at all, awesome product!

Enjoy the new skid!

If anyone has suggestions for clarification, updates, or anything else you'd like me to update to this, please let me know. I'm going to do a write-up on the front bumper install too when I get a chance to do it. Also, I ran a search and didn't find any previous write-ups for this, if there was I apologize in advance.

Search tags: IFS, skid, plate, All Pro, AllPro, Install
Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
kyzmyss is on a distinguished road
kyzmyss's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done. Looks great!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i wish someone would have done this before i got mine.....i didnt know about the 2 cross members had to come off.....
great write up
no one gives any kind of good directions with there products anymore and its a shame,,,
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job picking up the slack where AP left off. Really, what is with companies these days not including competent instructions? It's not like the skid is hard to install, but it would have been nice to have known that it needs to go on before the AP bumper and that it doesn't work if you a diff drop (you'll need spacers to push the skid down an ounce to make room for your diff).

I installed mine on my own using a bottle jack, a lot of balance and forearm strain, and a healthy amount of foul language...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the comments guys! I didn't know about the diff drop issue, I'll add that to the parts list.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
Unhappy

When I got my lift from toytec, had to did. drop and it came with spacers an longer bolts for the stock skid. However I don't have the numbers on them at the moment.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics and instructions plus 1 for u b
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up man..it looks great!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
thai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud ofthai fyter has much to be proud of

thai fyter's Tacoma Gallery
Good job, looks cool too!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
kyzmyss is on a distinguished road
kyzmyss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Nice job picking up the slack where AP left off. Really, what is with companies these days not including competent instructions? It's not like the skid is hard to install, but it would have been nice to have known that it needs to go on before the AP bumper and that it doesn't work if you a diff drop (you'll need spacers to push the skid down an ounce to make room for your diff).

I installed mine on my own using a bottle jack, a lot of balance and forearm strain, and a healthy amount of foul language...
Can you tell me what spacers you used? No wonder mine didn't mount up right...haha...

Pics would be greatly appreciated...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
when i had my AP on, i didnt need any spacers to fit over my diff drop. same for my ATO skid now
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
That piece indeed looks heftier than the oem but didn't strike me as solid enough to be jack spot for front of truck. That seems like it would also be important selling point for this item. It has me contemplating my skid situation........nice writeup......price?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Breadbox is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Breadbox's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestion:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Makes draining the oil through the little access hole much much cleaner and easier and this drain does not come past the All Pro Skid.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
That piece indeed looks heftier than the oem but didn't strike me as solid enough to be jack spot for front of truck. That seems like it would also be important selling point for this item. It has me contemplating my skid situation........nice writeup......price?
Yea I was a tad skeptical too... that's why I tested it out. Though I did test it in probably the strongest spot of the skid near the bend... Honestly though being a massive steel piece I honestly think it'll take most abuse and laugh at it. Hopefully I'll never have to find out :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbox View Post
Suggestion:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Makes draining the oil through the little access hole much much cleaner and easier and this drain does not come past the All Pro Skid.
I've thought about that but... I'm still not that keen on putting a valve on the oil. I've seen so many valves (not this particular one mind you) fail before that putting it on such a vital thing as the engine oil kinda scares me...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great what gauge steel does AP use on these skids?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Looks great what gauge steel does AP use on these skids?
7 gauge

http://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacom...5tacomaifsskid
Old 04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up!

Sorry we didn't have instructions yet. This is one of the more straight forward installs, but you bring up some good points. We are working on instructions for all of our products, but are making sure the more difficult ones are done first. Would you mind if we used yours for the time being? Let me know what size shirt you wear, and I'll get one out to you with the rest of your order that is shipping this week (e-locker guards were the hold up!).
Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
Nice write up!

Sorry we didn't have instructions yet. This is one of the more straight forward installs, but you bring up some good points. We are working on instructions for all of our products, but are making sure the more difficult ones are done first. Would you mind if we used yours for the time being? Let me know what size shirt you wear, and I'll get one out to you with the rest of your order that is shipping this week (e-locker guards were the hold up!).
By all means, please use it! I wrote it up just to help people save some time, and more than anything with the front bumper install because that can be kinda frustrating

Awesome with the shirt, XXL if possible thanks! (I like'm loose )

Also another quick question... the site says the transmission skid doesn't fit the 2wd PreRunners but... I'm curious as to why. From the pictures and what we saw on the 2010 4x4 it attaches to the AllPro IFS skid and the support beam behind correct? My truck has that support area also.... Though without his truck here I think it might be a bit higher after looking at it again but not sure...
Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Krasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
Krasus22's Tacoma Gallery
Love the post! I have a quick question though. I called into All Pro to order the skid plate, but they told me that their skid plate does not fit with the stock bumper. And to me it looks like it fits your stock bumper just fine.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasus22 View Post
Love the post! I have a quick question though. I called into All Pro to order the skid plate, but they told me that their skid plate does not fit with the stock bumper. And to me it looks like it fits your stock bumper just fine.
they've gone to making a "new and improved" skid since then. this is why it may not work now. you'd have to get someone's older and mangled up one i suppose....or go non-AP