1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanted - New 4 Door 4x4 Taco, But Which?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bull Winkus, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    Bull Winkus

Bull Winkus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Hey! What's with the options on these Tacomas? Everything seems to be priced the same (well ... close), be it an SR5, Sport or Off-Road. Then when I run down the list of installed standards and options, it seems they do end up being mostly the same. My head is spinning from all the choices that lead back to the same place. Should I just shop price and forget the labels SR5, Sport and Off-Road, or should I embrace the labels?

What I want seems to encompass features from both the Sport and Off-Road 4x4. I want the tuned suspension and aggressive treads, but I like the hood scoop and 17" tires too.

And my biggest FEAR is ending up with a wimpy weenie of a stereo with all chrome and weak sound! What ever happened to the JBL option? Is it still there? They don't seem to say much about it if it is. It's not even clear if, when you're paying top dollar for the priciest package, you're getting anything more than just a name for your extra dough, assuming that you are getting the name JBL. What's your experience, dudes and dudettes? If you already own one or the other, what's it like?

Will I even care about all this after the sale? ;)

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I don't think the JBL is worth it. Just upgrade it with aftermarket. Also for the model you get depends on how much offroading you will be doing or what you will be using it for.

If you are going to be offroading I would get the offroad because it has the rear locker. If you like the scoop and color matched bumper, handles, grill, and it to have a scoop than get a sport which has limited slip. If you don't want those options you can get an SR5, which also comes in 4x4.

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Well, I don't plan on aggressive off road activities with the Taco, but in the context of exploring, canoeing, 4-wheelin' and dragging around trailers of such, I want to be able to go almost anywhere life's adventure takes me.

So you mean if I go for a Off-Road Special Options Package, I'll end up with black bumpers, fenders and door handles? I don't like the sound of that.

Well, is the JBL better than without JBL? I'm kinda opposed to sullying up my dash with gaudy after market crap, regardless of the sound improvements. I just want full range and volume with limited THD and normal but respectable bass. I'll be listening to iPod 98% of the time with mp3 or AAC compressed tracks. I'm not a purist when it comes to car audio. Too much background noise for that. But, if I'm going to sink $31,000 into a vehicle I want good clear listening quality in the stereo.

4. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I got the JBL audio. Now, having the bluetooth in there was great. And it's far better than the stock junker. But no doubt, your dollar is far better spent on an aftermarket system. If you don't need the bluetooth - get stock and upgrade it.

Decide if you want to tow much - tow package is a big deal to some. Other than that, what do you want it to look like/ do you need a rear diff locker?

5. Apr 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Oh, I'll use the bluetooth. Got it now in the Prius.

EricT
    I sorta wanted a white or silver or red one with a bed cover on it. I want it to be all the chosen color; not white with black trim. I want alloy wheels, but not chrome. I want tinted glass and good ground clearance, but I'm not into lift kits while under warranty. I need all-terrain tires and 4x4, because I'm in N. Arkansas. We have small mountains here and unpredictable Winters. The creeks are usually rocky, and the off-roading is usually gravel or two track; generally logging roads. Access, is my main concern. Access to creeks and rivers, trail heads and out of the way places without getting stuck.

So, to answer your question, I guess I don't have to have a locker. I wont be using the Taco for rock crawlin' or mud boggin', and it has some pretty fancy traction control, don't it? I'm already leaning toward the Sport options package based on appearance.

I do have the Jeep, but I plan on selling it and getting a Polaris Ranger RZRs. Anyone want to buy a 92 Wrangler? ... I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

6. Apr 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    You could do one of the following:

Get TRD Sport and change the rear differential.

or

Get TRD Offroad and change the hood for one with a hood scoop and have all the chrome buffed and painted.

Id pick the sport and change diferentials.

You cant have the best of both worlds sadly. I think Toyota didnt think this through and could have made a more user friendly package options.

7. Apr 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    I'll agree with that!

I also would have loved having the option of getting all those features in a std cab as well.

8. Apr 13, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    1337Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    With what you are doing the LSD that the sport has would be just fine.

I would get a sport with 4wd. That would be your best option.

9. Apr 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    i opted for the sport ... and will diff swap downstream if the current set-up doesn't serve me well

in the meantime, i plan on modding that scoop to suck cold fresh air

... if i can find any cold fresh air in los angeles

10. Apr 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM
    1337Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    It is impossible to suck in cold air from the hood scoop. I wouldn't try. It would just be a waste of time and money.

The scoop is a in a low pressure area of the hood and is to small and facing the wrong direction to be functional without completely changing the dimensions and structure of the hood.

11. Apr 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    dammit ... i thought the dry hot thin Northridge ram air would really boost my torque

seriously, thanks for the heads-up

12. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:12 AM
    Mabe

Mabe Member

Member:
    I'd get a SR5, save the $3500-$4k from the TRD packs and use that money for some after market upgrades.

$500-800 for a rear locker that you can use outside of 4 low
    $500 for used TRD Sport wheels
    $200 for new door speakers
    ?? For a new hood and painting the grill.

13. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Idk if it's still available but my '04 SR5 came with the color match option which made the bumpers, door handles, fender flares, etc the same color as the truck.

14. Apr 13, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    What!? New door speakers! What's wrong with the door speakers? Do you get the same speakers with or without the JBL option?

15. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I have offroad option with JBL. Offroad option come with rear chrome bumper and color match fenders and front bumper. Door handles and side mirrors comes in black. JBL system sound really clear and better than stock. I don't rock crawling and offroad much. Reason I brought this truck because it have rear locker and better options for offroading. I only offroading 5 to 10 percents a year.

For you I think the best option is Sport if you dont want rear locker.

16. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    I think that's where I'm headin' as well. To the Sport, that is. The scoop? Why that's just a useless affectation, like my beard and mustache.

I probably wont change the diff, either. First thing I'll do is get a Tonneau Cover for the bed. Leer probably. I'll need to be able to toss life jackets, canoe paddles, riding helmets, ice chests and all kinds of accessories in there while towing the light trailer with a canoe or two or 4-weeler on it. Don't want the wind melting my beer ice before I get there.

17. Apr 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    First of all there is a difference in the pricing. A 4x4 vs a 2wd is 4k difference. A sport vs. off road is a difference of around 400$. DO your homeWORK, son.

18. Apr 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I've got the sport & the only thing I miss is the locker... We'll see how much I need it next winter....:D
    Go with the Sport - their HOT!

19. Apr 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Bull Winkus

Member:
    First Name:
    Herb
    N. Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler
    Read for content ... son.

20. Apr 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM