Notices

auto trans shift cable failure

Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Squad is on a distinguished road
Squad's Tacoma Gallery
auto trans shift cable failure

Last week's adventure
Day 1--87 rough miles on Saline Valley Road in Death Valley
Day 2--On the black top, pulled into parking lot, shifted into Park, then...
1. Trans shift cable came off of shift lever
2. Reattached cable and took rig to dealer
3. Dealer could find nothing wrong, no surprise
4. Has been working fine since

What's up with the cable/shifter connection? Is this a known issue? Can I trust it to stay connected? Just a fluke?

TIA--
Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
First one I have heard of ???
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
x2 , never heard this one before ,
x3
Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Squad is on a distinguished road
Squad's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I'll just keep and eye on it.
-Squad
Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
annoying. i've had the cable break on cars in the past, but not just pop off.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to bump this..

I had the shifter cable fall off my 08 a little while back. Went to the store, put it in park and it kept going.. Shifter wasnt doing anything so I had my gf hold the brake while I looked under the truck, the nut and bolt fell off on the linkage. Got it back into drive and took the truck to the dealer, they told me to come back.. I explained i could not put my truck in park (acting dumb), and after 10min of talking they finally understood, and took it back and put a nut/bolt back in it.

I know I could have done it myself but i wanted to make sure they a report of it happening..

So next time your changing the oil, you might as well check and make sure the linkage is tight.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
KingTaco81 is on a distinguished road

Name: Junior
KingTaco81's Tacoma Gallery
The same thing just happened to me earlier today, the bolt was there but no nut :-/
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
this makes me nervous. i have an 08 that has been bullet proof for me, but i also did not buy it new, and have never had this happen.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Locktite.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Just wanted to bump this..
I had the shifter cable fall off my 08 a little while back. Went to the store, put it in park and it kept going.. Shifter wasnt doing anything so I had my gf hold the brake while I looked under the truck, the nut and bolt fell off on the linkage.
You could've just shut off the engine and put on the parking brake, I think.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You could've just shut off the engine and put on the parking brake, I think.

I know that but I didnt know the problem at the time, if I shut the truck off and didnt find a problem i could fix, the truck wouldnt start back up if it was in gear. Having my gf hold the brake was just a way for me to check under the truck and still be able to drive it if I couldnt fix it..
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
KingTaco81 is on a distinguished road

Name: Junior
KingTaco81's Tacoma Gallery
The bolt is at the tip of the linkage cable that bolts up to the shifter. Once You turn the truck off it won't start up again unless it's in park. Since my truck was on the lowest gear I wasn't able to start it up. I had to buy a a locking nut n apply lock tight as well.