Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

my truck wont start

Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
acryloman is on a distinguished road
acryloman's Tacoma Gallery
my truck wont start

Ive got a 2005 v6 that was running fine 2 hours ago. Now it wont start. It just turns over and over with no fire. Is there some kind of sensor or main fuse that would cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acryloman View Post
Ive got a 2005 v6 that was running fine 2 hours ago. Now it wont start. It just turns over and over with no fire. Is there some kind of sensor or main fuse that would cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
im guessing that its the battery. either use a volt meter or take it to autozone and get it checked.

do you have the six speed manual, or the 5 speed auto?? the more i think about it, doesnt sound like the battery......sounds like you may not be getting fuel.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
NOT battery if it's cranking. Did you flood it? Sit in the truck and hold the gas pedal to the floor for about 2 minutes THEN try starting while holding pedal HALF throttle.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
I think the fuel is the problem. I'm hoping its the fuel pump relay but it might be the pump itself. has anyone had any problem with the fuel pump relay?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
tacomaman06, how did you get the secondary air filter out. Did you just break it? Did you see any benefits? Mines filthy and needs to come out. It seems like breaking it is the only way.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Did you try my idea?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if this would be applicable to the 2nd gens, but at one point my old 2000 wouldn't start--turned out to be a blown fuse for the brake light. Since the brake light wouldn't come on, nothing worked. Or maybe that was it wouldn't get out of park; it's been awhile so I don't remember accurately, but I thought I'd throw it out there--lots of odd safety backups that could contribute to why it won't start in addition to the obvious stuff.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
check your fuse box.... go from smaller to bigger.....
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
tacomaman06, how did you get the secondary air filter out. Did you just break it? Did you see any benefits? Mines filthy and needs to come out. It seems like breaking it is the only way.
i took my airbox off my truck, then i drilled out the plastic rivets holding the filter in, then i vacuumed the airbox out incase there was any plastic shavings. real easy to do. i didnt see any big changes, but truck seemed to idle better.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
My old 05 pre-runner used to do that once in awhile, there was a fix for mine they have to flash the ECU. Mine would start just not on the first stab, I would have to turn the key totally off and then try to start it and it would start.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
What does flash the ecu mean? Im really starting to think this is elecrical or computer related.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What does flash the ecu mean? Im really starting to think this is elecrical or computer related.
Flashing the ECU is basically reprogramming the computer. The dealer will need to do this.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Flashing the ECU is basically reprogramming the computer. The dealer will need to do this.

Sorry about that, thanks Isocoee for clearing that up.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Could still be the battery even if it's cranking... I've had engines that would crank, but not fast enough to spin everything over to start. In fact, my truck did that twice when the battery was drained too low. Hook up a charger or some jumper cables, give it some more power, and then try starting it up again.

So much of these trucks are electronic now that if all the computers don't get enough power, then things are bound to stop working.

If it's a manual you could also pop start it, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, and see if it starts back up.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
You do know that you have to add gasoline to these things every now and then, right?

Along the lines of the battery thing, the way I used to test for a weak battery was to turn on the high beams and honk the horn simultaneously with the vehicle not running. Both draw a fair amount of current and if the battery is weak the lights will dim and/or the horn will sound pathetic. If the battery is good then things will work properly.

It's a quick, easy test and might be worth a try.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
My problem lies in the fuel pump. And its an expensive part!
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Ugh. It's never the easy cheap thing is it? You're out of warranty by now I'd guess? Seems awfully soon for the fuel pump to crap out though.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
Kennyu is on a distinguished road
Kennyu's Tacoma Gallery
Dude,

Mine did the same thing... twice.
Take it in and they will re-flash the computer.
There is an official Toyota service bulletin on this exact thing. They know about it.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
does it happend to my 09 tacoma??? Dont scare me man!!!